Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

2 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

Thanks BalletBoysDad, apart from the 'couple of weeks', that is also my understanding. Due to a potential clash with something else, I had to ask when the funding auditions take place. They would not be specific but told me it was mid-March. 🙂

Yes, I was of the understanding funding auditions are mid March as they dates are very similar to Elmhurst and WL finals/results.  A current Tring parent told me the results came very quickly for non-funded places, though of course applicants will be looking to see other results before making a decision, and some will naturally be reliant on funding too. 

• Like 2

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I’m not 100% sure where I came to this understanding, but I feel I’ve been told results might be just a couple of weeks, as today’s was only boys.

I think there must have been more than one group yesterday as my daughter auditioned in a mixed group of 12 children, roughly half boys and half girls. When we were waiting for our talk from the principal and directors, we did see a group of boys who weren’t in the Tring uniform so I presumed they were also auditioning. I know that Monday & Tuesday next week are audition days, so hopefully they will start sorting results out after that. 

Is anyone able to offer more advice as to how the funding works please? I have used the fees calculators on various sites but the amounts they are suggesting we might end up paying don't appear to be in any way feasible! How do these calculators account for other outgoings (mortgage etc), or is it just a very rough guide and the rest would be discussed should the situation arise? From where we are sitting, even if full funding were offered, it still doesn't really look in any way possible and surely in this day and age that just cannot be so? Or are you just not able to go if you sit in that bracket??? 😞 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ottobotto said:

Is anyone able to offer more advice as to how the funding works please? I have used the fees calculators on various sites but the amounts they are suggesting we might end up paying don't appear to be in any way feasible! How do these calculators account for other outgoings (mortgage etc), or is it just a very rough guide and the rest would be discussed should the situation arise? From where we are sitting, even if full funding were offered, it still doesn't really look in any way possible and surely in this day and age that just cannot be so? Or are you just not able to go if you sit in that bracket??? 😞 

Mds funding is based on gross income with very few deductions made; around £2000 is deducted for another child in the family. They don’t make deductions for other outgoings. It is expensive (having two even more so!). 

Thank you for your reply. So basically it's not possible if you aren't either a high earner or entitled to full funding, or you have no income??? Or is there any other funding options available that can be negotiated? Would you then only have the option of self funding the rest, even it means your mortgage still has to come out of your budget? It seems odd that expenses like this aren't taken into consideration - or are you expected to re-mortgage and live on baked beans to be able to afford it???  If the info says you are entitled to funding if your gross income is less than £190k ?? Is this assuming that everyone who earns less than this can afford to make large contributions in the £1000s? Am I being totally naive about this being fair and possible for all walks of life maybe??

1 hour ago, PurplePirouette said:

I think there must have been more than one group yesterday as my daughter auditioned in a mixed group of 12 children, roughly half boys and half girls. When we were waiting for our talk from the principal and directors, we did see a group of boys who weren’t in the Tring uniform so I presumed they were also auditioning. I know that Monday & Tuesday next week are audition days, so hopefully they will start sorting results out after that. 

Yes, there were definitely 2 groups. My DS was in a group of around 13 boys, and spotted some male friends in a different room, so presuming that was the mixed group with your DD. I have no idea if this is true or not, but although children auditioning for Royal, Elmhurst etc won’t get results until mid to late March, a current parent at Tring told me their results come much much sooner. 

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Spelling

22 minutes ago, Ottobotto said:

Thank you for your reply. So basically it's not possible if you aren't either a high earner or entitled to full funding, or you have no income??? Or is there any other funding options available that can be negotiated? Would you then only have the option of self funding the rest, even it means your mortgage still has to come out of your budget? It seems odd that expenses like this aren't taken into consideration - or are you expected to re-mortgage and live on baked beans to be able to afford it???  If the info says you are entitled to funding if your gross income is less than £190k ?? Is this assuming that everyone who earns less than this can afford to make large contributions in the £1000s? Am I being totally naive about this being fair and possible for all walks of life maybe??

Is this the mds funding calculator you’ve used? It’s fairly accurate. 

https://elmhurstballetschool.org/en/apply/funding-and-fees-calculator/

Most families don’t pay anything like full fees. 

Thank you! I used the one on RBS which even with extra children came out as more! I guess I'll just hope that 1) an offer is there ; 2) a funding offer is there ; and 3) we could somehow afford it if so!!

Thank you again. It's certainly very stressful knowing there has to be funding as well as an offer. But what will be will be I'm sure 🙂 

24 minutes ago, Ottobotto said:

Thank you! I used the one on RBS which even with extra children came out as more! I guess I'll just hope that 1) an offer is there ; 2) a funding offer is there ; and 3) we could somehow afford it if so!!

Thank you again. It's certainly very stressful knowing there has to be funding as well as an offer. But what will be will be I'm sure 🙂 

I believe that funding is available for all who qualify at Royal and Elmhurst, and there are limited amounts of funding for Tring and Hammond. 

2 hours ago, Ottobotto said:

Take the total amount payable and divide it by 12, as you can put money aside every month (starting in the May before your DC starts school) so that you have money ready for each term’s fees. We pay a fairly hefty parental contribution, but it still works out cheaper than DD’s nursery fees when she was little! Considering all it includes, we see that as value for money!

• Like 2

The Elmhurst MDS calculator has always been really accurate for us. As previous poster said, we don't pay that much more for her at Elm than we did for home lessons and her NB CAT lessons and travel.

And as I've said before, check out what the MDS place includes. At Elmhurst we get RAD lesson, one music lesson a week, £625 uniform bursary and medical insurance included......I know at RBS they do not get music lesson, RAD lesson or uniform bursary included......that all has to come out of your own pocket.

Does anyone know if Tring funding auditions are only offered to those who ticked "funding required", or anyone of a suitable standard? Fully expecting a straight "no" from Tring anyway as the class seemed much more complex than WL and Elmhurst, and my poor pupil had never done jazz before in her life!

22 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

Does anyone know if Tring funding auditions are only offered to those who ticked "funding required", or anyone of a suitable standard? Fully expecting a straight "no" from Tring anyway as the class seemed much more complex than WL and Elmhurst, and my poor pupil had never done jazz before in her life!

DS said the same re complexity and he has also never done jazz but hoping they take that into account. I can only assume that they offer funding auditions to those who reach the standard and have ticked the box but is an assumption.

1 hour ago, MissEmily said:

I believe that the funding audition is for those who reach their standard/highest attainment level, and it will be offered regardless of financial circumstances.  Tring CBA hardly touch upon jazz and modern, and is in some ways a feeder scheme to the school.  So classical ballet is the core requirement for the Tring dance pathway. So I imagine the jazz will be viewed as 'potential' rather than current level.

Re: funding audition, the Tring website says those able to pay fees wont be precluded from consideration for funding, so it appears merit based in some way:

Following the entrance audition you will be advised whether or not your son/daughter has been successful for a place at the school and, if suitable, they will be invited back to the final audition for a School Scholarship, a Music and Dance Scheme Award or a Dance and Drama Award (DaDA). If a parent indicates on the Application Form that they are able to pay the fees, this does not preclude their son/daughter from being considered for funding.

Edited by BalletBoysDad
grammar
  • Like 2

My DS said he found the jazz/contemporary section, in his words ‘strange’ as it was all about feet turning inwards rather that turning out, and (his take on it) was that it challenged how you usually move in classical ballet. He doesn’t do any contemporary or jazz so it was very much a new experience, though still enjoyable. 

4 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I believe that the funding audition is for those who reach their standard/highest attainment level, and it will be offered regardless of financial circumstances.  Tring CBA hardly touch upon jazz and modern, and is in some ways a feeder scheme to the school.  So classical ballet is the core requirement for the Tring dance pathway. So I imagine the jazz will be viewed as 'potential' rather than current level.

Re: funding audition, the Tring website says those able to pay fees wont be precluded from consideration for funding, so it appears merit based in some way:

Following the entrance audition you will be advised whether or not your son/daughter has been successful for a place at the school and, if suitable, they will be invited back to the final audition for a School Scholarship, a Music and Dance Scheme Award or a Dance and Drama Award (DaDA). If a parent indicates on the Application Form that they are able to pay the fees, this does not preclude their son/daughter from being considered for funding.

MDS funding is awarded on a sliding scale, with means tested parental contributions for all children in receipt of the funding. The parental contributions would be the same wherever your child is on MDS, so the calculators on the RBS and Elmhurst websites are also true for Tring and Hammond. However, the items included in the funding do vary, so at some schools it includes a generous dance uniform allowance, RAD lessons, music tuition etc. 

Instagram posts and newspaper articles where people state they have won a ‘full scholarship’ are talking about MDS when they refer to lower school, which in most cases still means parents are contributing. 

At Tring and Hammond, the MDS funding is awarded on the criteria of ‘potential in classical ballet’, so the jazz genuinely won’t exclude them from this. There is a lot of movement on the MDS waitlist, as children offered MDS at these two schools may well also have offers at other schools.

• Thanks 3