Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

1 minute ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I’m quite sure it’s the ‘regular old’ LFTs that you get given for free in chemists, schools, shopping malls etc. We’ve had to submit a few of those in the last few weeks, as long as they’re registered on the gov.uk website, where you receive an email or text confirming what result you entered. 

Perfect thanks. 

• Like 1

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone..For those with DD’s auditioning at tring, are you wearing tights or socks? The email says tights, but wondering if that is a given. Was going to email when they come back after the holidays but just wondered what others were doing..thank you xxxxx

On 30/12/2021 at 21:47, Astrid said:

Hi everyone..For those with DD’s auditioning at tring, are you wearing tights or socks? The email says tights, but wondering if that is a given. Was going to email when they come back after the holidays but just wondered what others were doing..thank you xxxxx

Hello

The audition info says:

Girls are requested to wear plain leotard, pink ballet tights, and usual ballet shoes. For the modern section please bring jazz shoes or jazz trainers and a pair of jazz pants if available. Hair should be neat and appropriate for the course they are auditioning for and off the face.

On 29/12/2021 at 13:53, balletboy8 said:

DS doesn't have anyone who can choreograph a routine so is making one up, I can't even download/buy the exact version of the song he wants so having to remote record and then download onto USB - all very painful.

Does anyone know more about the academic assessment?

Thanks 😄

For the assessment the audition pack just says: 

Educational Test
Entry to the school is largely based on audition however, all candidates will sit an academic assessment. The academic part of the audition involves a computerised verbal and non-verbal reasoning test followed by a 10 - minute writing test from which we can identify very quickly if a pupil has difficulties with handwriting speed, spelling or grammar.

• Like 1

@AstridI asked if socks were acceptable as that’s what my pupil normally wore (before JAs asked for tights) and they said either is fine. I have sent another email asking if socks or ballet shoes would be acceptable instead of jazz shoes as she doesn’t have any and it seems a bit bonkers buying a pair for a one hour class. I’ll let you know the answer.

2 hours ago, MissEmily said:

@AstridI asked if socks were acceptable as that’s what my pupil normally wore (before JAs asked for tights) and they said either is fine. I have sent another email asking if socks or ballet shoes would be acceptable instead of jazz shoes as she doesn’t have any and it seems a bit bonkers buying a pair for a one hour class. I’ll let you know the answer.

I asked Tring the same re: jazz shoes. My DS doesn’t have any, but they usually wear ballet shoes at CBA if they do any contemporary workshops. Otherwise I’ll be buying a pair of jazz shoes for a single audition. 

5 hours ago, SJBallet said:

Hello

The audition info says:

Girls are requested to wear plain leotard, pink ballet tights, and usual ballet shoes. For the modern section please bring jazz shoes or jazz trainers and a pair of jazz pants if available. Hair should be neat and appropriate for the course they are auditioning for and off the face.

Ah thank you so much, had seen this, but I wondered if we could still wear socks anyway as she prefers them..wondered if anyone else was going to do that 🙈

3 hours ago, MissEmily said:

Oh you superstar that’s great, saves me asking thank you! We wore socks to RBS but wondered if anyone else was..we have jazz shoes so we are ok there..although, not jazz pants? Was going to send her with the black shorts she wears for jazz..🤔

Anyone else wracked with nerves about testing positive for covid as the auditions draw nearer? I just want to hibernate! 

Also, anyone following the thread from

previous years that can explain how the Elmhurst call backs happen if you get that far? The dates say:

Lower School Final Auditions for School Years 7-11

• 22nd March 2022 Final Audition (Boys)
  • 23rd March 2022 Final Audition (Girls)
  • 24th March 2022 Call Back and Physio Assessment (Boys & Girls)

2 hours ago, SJBallet said:

Anyone else wracked with nerves about testing positive for covid as the auditions draw nearer? I just want to hibernate! 

Also, anyone following the thread from

previous years that can explain how the Elmhurst call backs happen if you get that far? The dates say:

Lower School Final Auditions for School Years 7-11

• 22nd March 2022 Final Audition (Boys)
  • 23rd March 2022 Final Audition (Girls)
  • 24th March 2022 Call Back and Physio Assessment (Boys & Girls)

Sorry can’t say if this is 100% correct  as my DD applied last year when things were different.  But this is how I thought it worked all girls through to finals go to the girls audition and same with the boys and then they invite children back for the call back and physio Assessment.  From what I thought  those called back to the call back are the ones they were interested in and that they would like to see them again plus undertake the physio checks.  I don’t think it means you are definitely going to get a place but through to the final stage.  I think RBS did something similar in previous years with some children being sent home on the afternoon of the second day and some children being asked to stay on  so the panel could look at the child again.  But that didn’t mean you were not successful at RBS if you were sent home early on the second day as some children sent home were given places I guess they had seen enough to make a decision.   You could always check with the registrar at Elmhurst she’s very helpful.  

Edited by Ballet Dreams
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

Sorry can’t say if this is 100% correct  as my DD applied last year when things were different.  But this is how I thought it worked all girls through to finals go to the girls audition and same with the boys and then they invite children back for the call back and physio Assessment.  From what I thought  those called back to the call back are the ones they were interested in and that they would like to see them again plus undertake the physio checks.  I don’t think it means you are definitely going to get a place but through to the final stage.  I think RBS did something similar in previous years with some children being sent home on the afternoon of the second day and some children being asked to stay on  so the panel could look at the child again.  But that didn’t mean you were not successful at RBS if you were sent home early on the second day as some children sent home were given places I guess they had seen enough to make a decision.   You could always check with the registrar at Elmhurst she’s very helpful.  

Thank you, so they would know at the end of the first day if they are called back? Do they tell the children or call the parents? I was just thinking about having to book accommodation should DD be in the fortunate position of finals and potentially booking 2 nights but only actually needed one 😮

I can’t wait for this to all be over already 🙈

1 hour ago, SJBallet said:

Thank you, so they would know at the end of the first day if they are called back? Do they tell the children or call the parents? I was just thinking about having to book accommodation should DD be in the fortunate position of finals and potentially booking 2 nights but only actually needed one 😮

I can’t wait for this to all be over already 🙈

I am sure that’s what I was told last year.  Like I said I can’t say for definite as my DD auditioned last year and finals were completely different.  If you book with premier inn I am sure there is an option whereby you can cancel the second night before a certain time and get a full refund.   I can’t remember  if it’s the semi flex or the flex option.  But I have managed to get a full refund on the second night before.  

Good luck 🤞 with the auditions it definitely worth it my DD is very happy  😊 

Edited by Ballet Dreams
  • Thanks 1

My dd auditioned 2 years ago just as covid kicked off. They don't have a set amount of boys and girls at Elmhurst who they offer places to....they will take who they like. In my dds year there is an almost even split, but other years have very few boys. When my dd auditioned she only did the ballet class due to covid. She was offered a place and told they would do physio checks in summer......never did. So they did the physio checks when they started in Sept. I was worried about this and the fact she could be asked to leave, so I emailed them and they said that wouldn't happen......the physio check is to see if there is anything they need to work with etc. Bit of a different approach to RBS......

Edited by sunrise81

Thank you @sunrise81too. I’m glad your DD is enjoying her time. I think Elmhurst is the top of DDs list so at this stage just praying she at least gets to finals and will then worry about the rest later. I’ve had to plan annual leave and it seems a bit cocky to book time off for finals when we haven’t done the first round yet 😂

• Like 1

Hopefully someone from pre covid years can explain what happens with Elmhurst. I would book......we also auditioned for WL and after her first round, I booked a room for the 2 nights for finals 🤣🤣🤣 She did make finals there too, and we used booking.com as got a hotel with free cancellation not too far from Richmond park. Have a look on there too.

1 hour ago, sunrise81 said:

Hopefully someone from pre covid years can explain what happens with Elmhurst. I would book......we also auditioned for WL and after her first round, I booked a room for the 2 nights for finals 🤣🤣🤣 She did make finals there too, and we used booking.com as got a hotel with free cancellation not too far from Richmond park. Have a look on there too.

I have also booked the hotels with free cancellation… I just didn’t want to admit to that part 😂. But I do like to be organised! 

8 hours ago, MissEmily said:

I would love to hear how the solos are done if anyone would care to share later. Are they called in one by one or do they all sit and watch each other?

DS says that they were called in 1 at a time and the others waited around outside the studio. 

Does anyone know when we hear the results?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

DS says that they were called in 1 at a time and the others waited around outside the studio. 

Were you sitting on the couches before waiting for the school tour ? I thought it might be you ….I came and sat down opposite you 👍 

No idea on when to receive results 🤷‍♀️ 

17 minutes ago, Julsgalaxy said:

Were you sitting on the couches before waiting for the school tour ? I thought it might be you ….I came and sat down opposite you 👍 

No idea on when to receive results 🤷‍♀️ 

Guilty as charged, lovely meeting you & DS. Odd that they seem to not have shared some sort of time for results - fingers crossed 🤞

1 hour ago, balletboy8 said:

I’m not 100% sure where I came to this understanding, but I feel I’ve been told results might be just a couple of weeks, as today’s was only boys. That’s when they presumably offer fee paying places. I understand they then decide who to invite back for a funding audition, as unlike Royal and Elmhurst, there isn’t funding available for every accepted student. That funding audition is around March I believe. I could have this totally wrong. 

1 minute ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I’m not 100% sure where I came to this understanding, but I feel I’ve been told results might be just a couple of weeks, as today’s was only boys. That’s when they presumably offer fee paying places. I understand they then decide who to invite back for a funding audition, as unlike Royal and Elmhurst, there isn’t funding available for every accepted student. That funding audition is around March I believe. I could have this totally wrong. 

Thanks BalletBoysDad, apart from the 'couple of weeks', that is also my understanding. Due to a potential clash with something else, I had to ask when the funding auditions take place. They would not be specific but told me it was mid-March. 🙂