Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's the WL auditions kicked off - good luck to everyone who is applying for the vocational schools this year. 

I don't imagine we're the only people who are going in to this process with mixed emotions - especially given the many recent (helpful) posts on this forum about the negative aspects of the vocational school training experience - but at least we are going in to it with open eyes, somewhat educated and informed. 

From the kids' point of view, however, it's an exciting time. I hope they all enjoy the process, whatever the outcome. 

• Like 4

Just now, Waverley said:

Well that's the WL auditions kicked off - good luck to everyone who is applying for the vocational schools this year. 

I don't imagine we're the only people who are going in to this process with mixed emotions - especially given the many recent (helpful) posts on this forum about the negative aspects of the vocational school training experience - but at least we are going in to it with open eyes, somewhat educated and informed. 

From the kids' point of view, however, it's an exciting time. I hope they all enjoy the process, whatever the outcome. 

You are definitely not on your own with mixed emotions. Not only as parents but DD who has always been adamant it’s her dream is now worrying about having to make such a big decision and leave her friends behind.

It’s not helped that everything she does at the moment is geared towards auditions, JA classes and homework plus local classes being very supportive and adding things to class work that will help in auditions. So her love of ballet now has a tinge of fear in it.

I’ve explained that until she has an offer (if she gets an offer) in her hand and has to make a decision then we can just enjoy the process. Lots of road trips and nice hotel stays plus dancing in beautiful studios. But I think now the realisation of what the process means has really hit her. What was an abstract thought and a fairy tale before could become a reality which could mean a huge change to life as she knows it. Lots of weight on a little 11 year olds shoulders. 

• Like 3

That's such a tough one @SJBallet - I  totally get what you mean about the abstract thought becoming more of a reality. Hopefully she can enjoy the process as you say and any big decisions are a while off yet (even though it may not seem like that to her). 

Does she do any other styles of dance/comps/shows anything like that to make it less about 'the ballet'? We have a few other things going on just now which will hopefully be a good distraction from the audition side of things - and also from any rejection emails which may arrive (I hope anyway!) 

• Like 1

@Waverleyshe does other styles of dancing but no comps. She’s got a few exams coming up and more excitingly is getting her first pair of pointe shoes at Christmas so we’re trying to focus on that. 

I think for DD the fact that she was so sure about this and now isn’t has really shaken her, but hopefully she will enjoy it and whatever happens at the end we’ll deal with then. 

Huge good luck to your DD x

• Like 2

My pupil has her first audition on Monday. At the moment, she is purely excited and I'm hoping the nerves don't kick in and get the better of her on the day. She's also going to be in tights for the first time (as opposed to socks), since apparently that's what they want, so I'm hoping she doesn't fiddle with them! I hope everyone has a happy and positive experience of this process. It's lovely to have this forum.

• Like 3

Can I ask how you heard they would be out 2 weeks after the regional auditions please? My son was told they would hear about WL results  when all of the regional auditions had finished and they would hear about Mids results after WL places had been sorted. Maybe he got that wrong ??

37 minutes ago, Ottobotto said:

Can I ask how you heard they would be out 2 weeks after the regional auditions please? My son was told they would hear about WL results  when all of the regional auditions had finished and they would hear about Mids results after WL places had been sorted. Maybe he got that wrong ??

I personally heard about the 2 week wait for results from the preliminary auditions from other parents. If I understand correctly, MA places are not allocated until all WL places have been allocated and accepted. So the results that come 2 weeks after these preliminary auditions will be if a Y7 child has received an offer to progress to finals (for boys) and semifinals (for girls).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ottobotto said:

Ok thank you! So not all applicants hear at the same time then? This seems almost as weird as putting the stretching elements right the beginning of the audition 😆!!

Yes they do put stretching at the beginning lol. My son said this at the WL finals last year. 
I’m inclined to say it’s so they can see flexibility/ potential flexibility at the start and then know who to watch / or not bother watching for the rest of the audition... harsh but true 😬

6 hours ago, The red shoes said:

Yes they do put stretching at the beginning lol. My son said this at the WL finals last year. 
I’m inclined to say it’s so they can see flexibility/ potential flexibility at the start and then know who to watch / or not bother watching for the rest of the audition... harsh but true 😬

Ha I’ve just read this as I’m sat contemplating the day ahead which is DDs prelim audition for WL…… she’s not that flexible… fingers crossed she gives them another reason to want to watch her. 

3 hours ago, SJBallet said:

Ha I’ve just read this as I’m sat contemplating the day ahead which is DDs prelim audition for WL…… she’s not that flexible… fingers crossed she gives them another reason to want to watch her. 

They have a criteria... so to tick as many boxes as possible. Not just flexibility!! Best of Luck xxx 

• Like 1

Did anyone on here audition in Newcastle? Or personally know anyone who did? I’m wondering if there is anyone who will be able to let us know when results have started filtering out, or if perhaps people could have started to hear already and we don’t know! 🤷🏻‍♀️