Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

It was a ‘yes’ for my DS. We are naturally over the moon. Yesterday was a strange and overwhelming day as we processed the wonderful news whilst feeling genuine disappointment that friends along the way hadn’t got the results they wanted, but have all done immensely well to get finals not just at WL but at other vocational schools too. 

• Like 13

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BalletBoysDad said:

It was a ‘yes’ for my DS. We are naturally over the moon. Yesterday was a strange and overwhelming day as we processed the wonderful news whilst feeling genuine disappointment that friends along the way hadn’t got the results they wanted, but have all done immensely well to get finals not just at WL but at other vocational schools too. 

Congratulations 🎉 exciting times! 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Huge congratulations ❤️ We feel exactly the same….the build up to this has been immense for them all . It’s also tinged with a bit of sadness as we are going to miss DS immensely and I just know it’s going to be a huge adjustment for us all.

it’s also tinged with a bit of anxiety as there are so many posts on here that add anxiety into the mix so I can totally relate to the mix of emotions xx

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Congratulations - a big well done and richly deserved 😃

• Like 1

A massive well done to your DSs @BalletBoysDadand @Julsgalaxy - fantastic news. And commiserations to everyone who didn't get the news they'd hoped for - it really is such a bittersweet time. 

My DD got wait list for White Lodge - she's really happy as she feels like she did well to get that far so that's all that matters. She only wanted to try for that one school so the rollercoaster is over for us at least!

I said at the start of this thread that I was going into the process with mixed emotions and I still feel exactly the same. It's been a fun ride and we had fantastic experiences at all three WL auditions, some great weekends away together and both DD and I made some lovely new friends.

I'm glad she went for it, but I'm also glad we get to keep her at home for a little longer and that our family dynamic doesn't have to change right now. I'm also glad she will be able to stay here to do her last year of primary school - with all the fun stuff that entails. Hopeful for a place in MA's as she's very much enjoyed the last few years in JA's - hope we don't have to wait too long for those results now! 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Waverley said:

A massive well done to your DSs @BalletBoysDadand @Julsgalaxy - fantastic news. And commiserations to everyone who didn't get the news they'd hoped for - it really is such a bittersweet time. 

My DD got wait list for White Lodge - she's really happy as she feels like she did well to get that far so that's all that matters. She only wanted to try for that one school so the rollercoaster is over for us at least!

I said at the start of this thread that I was going into the process with mixed emotions and I still feel exactly the same. It's been a fun ride and we had fantastic experiences at all three WL auditions, some great weekends away together and both DD and I made some lovely new friends.

I'm glad she went for it, but I'm also glad we get to keep her at home for a little longer and that our family dynamic doesn't have to change right now. I'm also glad she will be able to stay here to do her last year of primary school - with all the fun stuff that entails. Hopeful for a place in MA's as she's very much enjoyed the last few years in JA's - hope we don't have to wait too long for those results now! 

I totally get that its a bittersweet time.  My DS made finals for Paris (their 6 month stage/internship) but didn't get a final offer and was really disappointed to get 'so close'.  He got a straight 'no' from Tring.  He got a 'yes' for YDA and a 'yes' for WL. Its a real mixed bag of results, the same with summer intensives. Each one had its own emotional reaction of ups and downs.  I feel its a gruelling process for everyone, but I am always in awe of these kids for going through this process at such a young age!  Especially the really important bit of learning how to handle disappointment and moving forwards. We know wonderful dancers who didn't progress past prelims, who got yes for this school, no for that school, and every combination imaginable.  But their individual journeys won't be defined from this one moment in time or the decision of a specific school.  

• Like 12

Congratulations and good luck with the future to the yesses and congratulations and good luck for the future to the nos. All your children have achieved something significant and will, I'm sure, go on to do so again in the future.

In some ways I think a no at this stage is the hardest to bear. A few years ago one of my sons got to the last 8 in trials for a fairly prestigious sports programme. They wanted 4 and he didn't get in. Obviously he was very disappointed To have got so close and then be left with what felt like nothing was hard to bear. But now we look back on it with relief. It would have been massively disruptive to our family life and cost us a fortune in money and time. He would have to have given up other sports and activities that he enjoys.

There would have been good things if he'd been picked too of course - we wouldn't have gone if we hadn't thought there were benefits - but with time, things don't look so black and white as they did then. When you are right in the middle of these things (especially if you're a child) everything looks binary - yes/no, good/bad, winner/loser, but in reality different outcomes are just different. There will be ups and downs either way.

Right now it is difficult, probably impossible, for your children to see positives in a no, but with time hopefully they will, and will also come to see the experience itself as valuable. Initially my son lost confidence after his rejection but after a while realised that of course he was good. He got to the last 8. He wouldn't have been there if he wasn't under serious consideration. And that ultimately gave him a boost. Plus he can now look back and appreciate that he had a great weekend playing in an excellent venue with other likeminded boys, being coached by national level coaches. Many people would pay a fortune for that and he got invited. 

I think children who have received a no (and their parents) need time and space, and to be "allowed" to feel sad, but good things will come in due course, even if they're not exactly the good things you were imagining.

And likewise, children with yesses (and their parents) need to be able to express the anxieties and sadness that will no doubt tinge the excitement of such a big life change. Sometimes successful candidates feel they have to be happy about everything as to express anything negative is ungrateful, or hurtful to friends who can't go, but they need to express themselves too.

Best of luck to you all, whatever comes next.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, MissEmily said:

Girls too. We received our heart-stopping email just before 5 yesterday and she has to be back at 08:30!

Oh wow! This is intense! At least the boys had s day Inbetween and don't need to be till 11:30! Good luck! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SJBallet said:

Oh wow! That is just the most amazing news. Congratulations 🎉 x

@SJBalletI just want to say that your posts are always so postive and uplifting! Despite you own child’s news, you have always been so lovely and congratulatory to others. I just felt I wanted to mention that to you. 

• Like 9

23 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I totally get that its a bittersweet time.  My DS made finals for Paris (their 6 month stage/internship) but didn't get a final offer and was really disappointed to get 'so close'.  He got a straight 'no' from Tring.  He got a 'yes' for YDA and a 'yes' for WL. Its a real mixed bag of results, the same with summer intensives. Each one had its own emotional reaction of ups and downs.  I feel its a gruelling process for everyone, but I am always in awe of these kids for going through this process at such a young age!  Especially the really important bit of learning how to handle disappointment and moving forwards. We know wonderful dancers who didn't progress past prelims, who got yes for this school, no for that school, and every combination imaginable.  But their individual journeys won't be defined from this one moment in time or the decision of a specific school.  

I love this response, @BalletBoysDad 👏

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ballerinamama said:

@SJBalletI just want to say that your posts are always so postive and uplifting! Despite you own child’s news, you have always been so lovely and congratulatory to others. I just felt I wanted to mention that to you. 

Thank you 💕 if we can’t support each other we’re not much good are we x

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, ally6684 said:

Is that a definite timescale?  I forgot to ask at both of them!  And does anyone know if Elmhurst will be by email or post?  Thanks 😊 

I’m assuming Elmhurst will be by email. Rachal said 10 days and I imagine that meant ‘within’ 10 days so could be anytime next week 🤔 xx 

2 hours ago, Dancermom said:

I’m assuming Elmhurst will be by email. Rachal said 10 days and I imagine that meant ‘within’ 10 days so could be anytime next week 🤔 xx 

Yes Elmhurst is email. Always seems to be mid afternoon. Always seems to be on either the 30th or 31st March. The year my dd got her yes it was the 30th and my birthday! Such a good present!

• Like 5