News of non-dancing children.....

JulieW

Wow, what an amazing opportunity for her meadowblythe. Sounds like she is going to do fantastically. I can imagine it will be tough for you without anyone at home now, but the school holidays will be wonderful reunions I am sure.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I should let you know, as you were all behind her last year (and me through all the stress), that my daughter passed her first year at vet school with excellent results. They were all very stressed at exam time - she think she might come home for revision week next year.

Four weeks of placements coming up soon - dairy farm and then our vets which is handy!

She's the women's team rugby captain next year :-)

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Not continually posted about the trials and tribulations of getting treatment on NHS but here is an update.  GP agreed to non dd seeking treatment out of area as she was waiting for a letter which would give her a date six weeks in the future to have a discussion about having the endoscopy.  She saw the Consultant at the Nuffield Hospital on Monday and the endoscopy was scheduled for yesterday.  I cannot speak highly enough of this hospital, fantastic staff, beautiful surroundings and the most fantastic care (NHS are paying fortunately, but would recommend going here if you are unfortunate enough to be unwell.).  Unfortunately she is the 1 out of 7 who has ended up with pancreatitis. She had to stay in overnight yesterday and has now been transferred to NHS hospital who although the staff are wonderful those in East Sussex will know it's not an easy place to park - especially with a brand new car which I am so terrified of damaging!  She has to stay in overnight tonight and so tomorrow will be, as last year, spending part of her birthday in hospital!  Gallbladder removal should be in 6 weeks.

Best wishes to your daughter Porthesia......has been quite a year for you one way and the other!

If it's the hosp here in Brighton the parking can get you more stressed than the patients probs at times!! Whenever Ive had to find parking there it has poured with rain so have ended up soaked!

If I had known you could have popped round for tea today!

Will be going to London tomorrow though ......to see Cinderella at ROH.

Will she be having the op in Brighton?

Porthesia, if you are referring to The Royal Sussex in Brighton, I visited my mother while she was in there. The parking is indeed a bit of a nightmare. I was advised to drive along to Brighton Marina, park in the multi-storey opposite Asda, which was free. I could then get a bus, can't remember the number but it was going to Churchill Square. This departed from the 'seaside' of the car park, opposite MacDonalds and dropped me off right opposite the main entrance to the hospital. All I had to do then was cross the road which was probably the most dangerous part! 

Then I just got a bus back to the marina after visiting. All in all, it was very easy, far less stressful and cheaper than the hospital car park, just the bus fare to pay. 

It's the number 7 bus from the Marina to Brighton and the Hove stations! Also no. 47 but that's only once an hour whereas the 7 is every 10-15 mins.

You can park around the hospital but it's only either for two or four hours so you have to keep feeding the metre or drive round to a different road if you are there for any length of time.

But Porthesia if you are in that position of needing to go off for a few hours but don't want to have to go all the way home let me know and you can come round to me ......not far away in Saltdean about 10-15 mins away.....and free parking in our roads......touch wood!!

Hi Linmm.and Jacqueline

Just got back from evening visit.  She feels better and hopefully can come home tomorrow.  She's on a saline drip - they are taking good care of her so far. Hoping to have the op either back at the Nuffield (not sure NHS will want to pay again) or has been very impressed with the staff at Royal Sussex so she's hoping she can elect to go there.  We are really hoping she will be coming home tomorrow we have balloons to blow up for her and cake which we hope she can have a sliver of, but thanks so much for the offer popping round.  May take you up on that if she can have her op there.  

Thanks for the advice about Asda had not thought of that, although I have to admit, we took the new car there a couple of weeks ago whilst dd was having a lesson at Patcham and I had my hands over my eyes as we came down (I wasn't driving) - it's very tight in that car park - spaces are fine but coming down is scary! And thanks Linmm for the number of the buses.  I had often wondered about parking there and catching the bus to do my shopping but until my car is somewhat older I'll still be parking in Churchill or getting the train :)

• Like 1

Finally she has come home today.  Still not 100% but she was determined to come home.  She's really not capitalising on the fact that fact she's not well!  Only done two hot water bottles and made a light lunch - perhaps she will be more demanding tomorrow.  Fortunately the birthday cake has a best before date of the 28 August so she may be able to risk having a slice later on this week. 

• Like 1

Finally she has come home today.  Still not 100% but she was determined to come home.  She's really not capitalising on the fact that fact she's not well!  Only done two hot water bottles and made a light lunch - perhaps she will be more demanding tomorrow.  Fortunately the birthday cake has a best before date of the 28 August so she may be able to risk having a slice later on this week. 

Glad to hear the patient is back at home. I hope she continues to recover well. You may find the better she feels the more demanding she will get. She probably just feels too flaked out to bother at the moment. Wait till she asks for a notepad and pen! ;)

Hi all

Non dd has decided to go back to work today even though signed off until Monday.  She is doing a 3 hour shift to ease herself back in as we are around to take her into work and bring her back early if needed.  She has booked most of next week off as we are taking dd back to school next week so not around and she doesn't drive yet,.  Neighbours and boyfriend on hand and standby.  She is eating again, but small amounts and careful about what she eats.  Not looking forward to her eventual removal of gallbladder as this is likely to happen again.

The birthday cake was a bit of a disappointment.  From Tesco's and had hidden sweets in it.  Rather sickly and sweet - and it was one of the more expensive ones!  

• Like 1

Non DD is collecting her keys to her new flat tomorrow in Windsor and then moving out for good on Saturday. Starting work at Centrica/British Gas for 3+ years in Finance - she had a summer internship last year with them.

Also DS flying off to Romania tomorrow to start his first professional job in Constanta.

House a total mess with daughters things everywhere. Son has only 3 bags to go away with and is all packed.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

My ds has been invited to meet the Lord Mayor of our city next Tuesday. Ds has become quite an activist in our local area and has been campaigning on getting work done in our area by contacting our local Councillors and Council Officers. He's 15.

However ds has ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and Dyspraxia (he did ballet when young and then moved to tap and now does drumming) and struggles with school work especially writing. We have been looking into colleges for 6th form as ds's school only goes up to Yr 11. A local music college asked if ds would like to apply for Yr11. THis would mean only doing 2 GCSEs and a BTEC in music - far more manageable for him and we have a meeting on 27th November at the college. The school Senco has offered to be there too.

Ds is participating in a concert on 17th December with the area schools' Philharmonia Orchestra.

Just goes to show that they will all find their place even if sometimes the odds are stacked against them :)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well my son ,who is studying the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care has just finished his two week placement in a Nursery for 20 under 4 year olds. Thoroughly enjoyed it;much more so than his placement at the alcohol and drug detox centre,which was his other college placement in January. So now he is thinking he would prefer working with children and young people rather than alcoholics,and that he might be more suited to this. The Nursery seemed to be very impressed with him. It was throwing it down all week, and so one of the women who worked there kindly gave Sean a lift to and from the Nursery every day. I came out of the house one of the days to thank her, and she told me that Sean "Is a delight to work with" which was lovely to hear. There`s only one downside. He has picked up some sort of a virus;has a dreadful sore throat, and he has also picked up.... NITS.!!!! 

• Like 7

Lovely news thequays.

When I first started teaching I kept on picking up soar throats and eventually went on a voice projection course which did help.....apparently I was breathing back to front whatever that means!!

Usually when you work with children you do pick up viruses initially but then get as tough as old boots.

I was lucky I never actually got the Nits!! But quite a few of my teaching friends did!!

• Like 1

Hi thequays- sounds as if he has done well!

IMO there won't be many teenagers equipped to work in alcohol/ detox etc. I think more experience is required. I'm quite surprised he has attachments there.

Hope he enjoys and responds to the positive feedback. A proud Mummy day!!

• Like 1

Hello Sarah.Sean`s late father was a chronic alcoholic who died when he was 10 in 2007. I actually walked into his father`s house to check up on him,as no-one had seen or heard from him for a few days. He was lay on top of the bed,stone cold dead and had been there for at least a day.Sean decided some years ago that he never,ever in his life wants to touch even one drop of alcohol,and I don`t, nor does anybody in my family. It was challenging for him, and I was a bit anxious as he is only 17.There are lots of people in detox places and let me tell you, some of them are no angels,whowould think nothing of exploiting or using a 17 year for their advantage. I warned him before his first day,be friendly with everyone and chatty,but also be professional.You are not there to be their mates,and for goodness sake don`t be giving out your home address to anyone.!! He heeded the advice anyway,and enjoyed the experience. But as I said he found the Nursery more appealing. I suppose ,by its nature,it would just be a happier environment to work. Don`t know if he will have another placement before he finishes this course in June.If he does I have advised him to try for a placement either with the elderly or those with a mental disability,just to ,again,have a complete contrast. In any event,he is hoping to continue in September onto the higher education version of this BTEC ,the Higher National Certificate or Diploma,when he will get further work experience,so it`s all good.

Hi thequays,

That sounds traumatic. In a lot of ways his father's history may make it harder for him as it will be very hard to be objective..... I have been working in the NHS for 20 years and still struggle with challenging cases like addiction

• Like 1

At the moment,and it`s still early days;he isn`t even 18 until February.he is thinking of doing this 2 year Higher Education course,the HNC,maybe followed by the one year HND. I would love him to go to university,and there are classmates of his working on their UCAS Personal Statements in college just yesterday. He absolutely does not want to go to University just yet. I think it`s because he is a bit shy and gets the impression university students all get blind drunk every week and he wouldn`t fit in. I have talked to him and explained that not everyone will be like that and there will be people there who are similar to him. But for the time being he wants to stay at home[and have me run after him like a headless chicken,of course !!]. IF,and it`s a long way off, he were to do the HNC and then the HND he would be around 20 . He would then be so much more mature and,hopefully, a lot more independent. He was thinking of doing an actual degree in Health and Social Care,but is aware that it doesn`t actually train or qualify you to do anything. If he wanted to do nursing[which he absolutely doesn`t], he would have to do a post grad nursing qualification, the same with Social Work, the same with most other H+SC careers. What he actually would like to do is train to become a Primary School teacher. Again, this would mean him having to do a specific degree or post graduate degree for that career. He has an aunt in the Republic of Ireland who is a Primary School teacher. Although it`s a different education system, she is off work with stress an awful lot and Sean is under no illusions about how tough it can be. However, former teachers and others have told him that he would make a lovely Primary School teacher, as he has the right temperament. But to be honest, I will stand by and support him in whatever he wants to do, provided he is not lying around the house doing bugger all.!

Edited by thequays

• 1 month later...

Just an update.....ds auditioned for Music college and was offered a place on the Level 2 course on the spot. A tutor who assisted ds in setting up the drums said before the audition 'he's very good' and after the audition 'just the wait now, I suppose?' We told him ds had been offered a place and the level and he said he wasn't surprised - ds was too good for them to turn him down. He starts in September (Yr11).

Ds applied to be a Young Assessor before Christmas (going to youth centres around our city to assess if they are meeting young people's needs) - he has been selected (had his first training session of 6 last week) and is really enjoying it.

He has also been asked to join a band that have already had gigs locally (he was chased by 2 bands so had to choose!).

Though I do think think 3 performers in the family is crazy!!

• Like 6

Congrats to your son ..

Know what you mean about performers - with one son studying stage management, one ballet and the third at vocational music school I often muse about my own little travelling troupe 

Or to put it another way, couldn't just one of you want to do something that pays well and has some job security ????

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I've just been informed that my elder son has been picked to play in a masterclass with the pianist Kathryn Stott. It's a wonderful opportunity and I am thrilled that someone so well known is coming to our little town,but a bit nervous too as my son is terribly shy. Though actually it always surprises me how confident he is when he plays in public. It could all go a bit pear shaped if he has to actually speak though!

• Like 12