News of non-dancing children.....

JulieW

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How horrible for her to be itching, Porthesia. I'm sure she has tried lots of remedies but wanted to recommend fragrance-free aqueous cream or Clinique Deep Comfort Body Moisture in case they help. Both of these have worked miracles for me on rashes including eczema - even though I was sure the Clinique cream would make it worse, as it smells lovely!

She was told by gp to take anti-histamine but Piritese does say you should take alternate days if you have problems with your liver so she's stopped taking those completely as she feels her liver has enough to cope with at the moment.  She puts Sudocream on which makes it harder for her to scratch.  I'm now stalking the postman, shades of when dd was awaiting audition results!!  At least the cat is completely healed - whoops that was in 101.

Does having a bath help with the itching at all?  I know for itching with chickenpox I was recommended to use porridge oats, put in the foot of tights and let the hot water run through them.  My youngest had eczema and the aqueous cream alone did not help so we tried out the oats bath and it worked for her.

Having a bath helps with the pain, will try the oats.  I've had to fetch her home early from work today as she is in pain :( She's been okay for a little while and had stopped taking the Tramadol and Naproxen but is back on them both today.  

2dancersmom, thank you so much for the advice on the oats.  She tried it last night and got a lot of relief, mainly whilst in the bath so she was in there for over two hours!  She has scratched herself in her sleep and has quite a few nasty sores.  Roll on op day!

So, latest news here from my "previously-dancing daughter" is that she scored her first try in a rugby match today. She sent a very excited sounding message to my hubby on Facebook (they're definitely bonding over rugby talk) and then we had a lovely Skype this evening. She's certainly getting fitter, but the downside is all the bruises!

Oh and she passed her January exams with 2.1 marks despite, as she admitted afterwards, not really revising enough - I think she was very relieved :-)

• Like 7

I've not spoken much about ds on these forums. He's a lovely little lad but has confidence & concentration issues. However he loves singing & I've finally persuaded him to take up an instrument

He reads very very expressively so in an attempt to boost his confidence I'm entering him for his first LAMDA exam. A much lower grade than most his age would normally do but as I said its for confidence.

• Like 1

Good luck with the LAMBDA exam.  I hope he enjoys it - both dd and non-dd have taken some of these - I believe the higher grades can give UCAS points, but it may have changed.  Also wish him a Happy Birthday, double figures eh, thats a big deal :)

Well 2 weeks since the MRI scan and no letter from the hospital.  Non-dd phoned up the consultants' secretary as she is desperate to get this over with and the consultant is on holiday for 2 weeks!  Ahh well, just the way it goes, but she is bitterly disappointed.

It's the waiting and not knowing where you stand that is the worst.  Not that my problem was anything like your daughter's but my initial referral for toenail surgery was lost and the wait seemed endless.  It is so debilitating being in pain and not seeing an end in sight.

Very best wishes, Janet

Grrr Porthesia - but hopefully news soon

Came on to share wonderful news that my youngest son got an offer today for speech & language therapy at UEA (University of East Anglia). Tough one to get into and fab uni (interview was a few weeks ago) and we're all very happy. Still waiting to hear from some but this was his first choice :-)

Now to get that AAB with a strong feeling of deja vu from last year!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Non dd finally phoned up as the consultant had been back a week and still no letter.  His secretary is now on holiday!  The replacement secretary and a junior doctor have both got involved - her notes had been misplaced - no surprise there.  She now has a date to see the consultant on the 9 April to discuss her options.  So slowly we are getting there

The waiting must be very distressing Porthesia.  To think you are on a waiting list is one thing, to have your details lost is another.  It's a shame they couldn't give your dd an earlier appointment under the circumstances but at least it is a tiny step forwards.

Virtual hugs heading your way.

• Like 1

Ah, thanks Janet.  She's always touched by the kind thoughts passed on.  I was quite cross that the appointment was so late, but she's taken it well so I've had to rein in my indignation.  She's running a book on possible op dates - I jokingly said 6th May - I may yet get the plate of homemade cookies she's promising to the closest guess!!  Although it would be a waste as I'm still on a diet.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck to ds for his very first lamda exam tomorrow. I'm really proud of how hecfascoreiared for it - just hope his confidence holds out.

It's been a tough week for little ds & his school friends as last week one of their school friends sadly passed away after a short, fairly sudden illness.

I think they are ready to break up from school in Friday.

Oh my goodness Pictures how sad.

Good luck with the Lamda both dd and non-dd took these.  The first ones are usually conducted quite gently.

Well we had the appointment with the consultant yesterday, guess what it was one of his minions! Fine he was a lovely man, but why couldn't we see him whilst the consultant was on holiday??  Worse yet she now has to have an endoscopy (think I've got the correct one, goes down the throat).  There are only two people within the trust able to perform this so we are waiting yet again. I think that my chances of the homemade cookies are very slim.  I think dd will be home for the summer before this gallbladder is removed. 

• Like 2

oh your poor DD.  I keep looking out for news for her on here - definitely hoped she would get better news than that.

We, on the other hand, are celebrating the fact that non DS has landed himself a job for a year long placement as part of his degree.  So pleased for him as he managed to get one with his first choice of company.  All of his friends are still doing interviews but he at least can just concentrate on his exams now - and then find somewhere to live!!

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I'm feeling very proud of my non dancing sons today. The elder one got his SATs results. He got 5s all round except for maths which he got a 4 for, but it is the maths which is the real cause for the celebration. His teacher told me the breakdown of his marks and he was only 4% from a level 5, and got 90% on the mental maths paper. The miracle is that this is a boy who at the beginning of this academic year was prone to burst into tears in maths lessons and was immensely anxious about mental maths in particular. I was hoping that at the very best he might just scrape a level 4, but a great deal of hard work from him, and amazing patience and encouragement from a wonderful teacher has paid off. I don't actually care that much about SATs in their own right to be honest, but I know how a fear of maths can hold people back and I am absolutely thrilled that he seems to have overcome those fears to the point of being able to perform tosuch a good standard in an exam situation.

Plus both boys got their school reports today, and whilst they are clearly doing well academically, it is the lovely things that their teachers have written about their personalities and behaviour that had me bursting with pride. In particular, there is a comment in my littlest's report about how enthusiastically he tackled all the activities on their recent residential and looked after and encouraged his schoolmates who were less confident. Well he is only 8, and it was his first ever trip away from home so he was anything but confident about the whole thing himself before he left. I'm very proud of him for supporting his friends even though he was worried himself.

And I'd better not leave DD out. Whilst most of her friends are spending their post GCSE break having long lie ins and then relaxing in the sun, she is spending almost every day at the studio helping her dance teachers, including getting up at normal school time to help the principal who is doing some work in a primary school, introducing dance to many children for the first time. I know that DD did not want to get up this morning, but she did so without complaint because she knows not to let down either her teacher or the children she has been working with.

So all in all, I am feeling quite chuffed with my children at the moment

• Like 10

Well, we are in shock.

Musical DD is off to Wells Cathedral School on an MDS.  

We haven't even applied for the place, she went to have a look with a long term view of auditioning for 6th form (she is currently year 9), as she had been very ambivalent about the other musical schools.  She loved Wells from the minute she walked in the door and saw the rugby pitches, and so much open space.  As it is 5 hours (gulp) drive from home, they had let her have an informal play with the head of brass so he could say whether he would be interested in the future.  

To cut a long story short, the offer of the MDS arrived out of the blue last Thursday, less than two weeks before the end of her current term, to start in September.  I am in a totally selfish way devastated that she will be going so soon, cried all the way through a brass band concert (no mean achievement), although obviously thrilled for her.

So I am to be an unexpected empty nester.  I have informed all three children that they can now expect regular visits.  I can't pretend they were delighted at the thought of my three week rotational programme!  Anyone know any good coffee shops in Somerset?

• Like 12

What absolutely fantastic news for your MD MeadowBlythe.  I know it will be a wrench but Wells is a gorgeous city and not very far from Bath and loads of other places to explore in the area.  Wells Cathedral is one of my favourites.

I'm afraid I'm out of date with coffee shop recommendations.

How wonderful for your mdd, Meadowblythe! I do understand your feelings, though. When our youngest went to university, we rattled around in a large house like two dried peas and it was very unsettling. I shall think of you. x

• Like 1

I am thinking of opening a travel agency in my new spare time.  I spend so much time booking train and hotel tickets for all of us.

Am now frantically filling the gaps.  So far have offered to help with music festival next year (why?  I have spent the past 15 years attending with varying degrees of enthusiasm), 2nd clarinet in my school orchestra (haven't played for 20 years), and two residential school trips.

The folks at Wells could not be more welcoming - she sits the entrance exam next week.  As I have given up her place at her grammar school, saturday music school (junior department of one of the main conservatoires), and quite well respected youth orchestra she had better pass!!!

• Like 2