News of non-dancing children.....

JulieW

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not my child but my brother got onto the national youth brass band of Wales straight into the front row cornets which is a massive achievement! He's also been promoted in his band to third cornet down (two behind principle) which is brilliant for being the youngest in the band at only 16. He would hate me saying this but in very proud of him and what he's achieved!

Thank you both:) he was also made to go up onstage by the adjudicators at the festival he played in with the county youth brass band to commend him for the solo he played as part of their programme. A good week for him all round!

I wouldn't normally share such personal news on the forum, but this news is so fantastic perhaps I will. I am ver proud of all my children the three of them are such lovely lovely people. Last year my middle son Jonathon was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer of the lymphatic system. We were all horrified and scared, not knowing what was ahead. However Jonathon refused to take almost no time off uni, he is studying computer science at Liverpool university. He carried on going for radiotherapy and then going straight back into uni. This week he announced that he has just passed all of his exams on track for a 2-1 with a possibility for a 1st. I really really could not be more proud of him. He has been through hell but just kep focussed. Jonathon is now in remission and doing very well. He will graduate this year and will no doubt move away from home to start his career. All my children even though they live away from home have been amazing with how they have supported each other. Proud mother and father.

• Like 14

Jonathon sounds like an amazing young man and well done to him for how he has coped with what life has thrown at him.  I am glad to hear he is in remission - fantastic news - and hope that both his health and his career go from strength to strength. I can imagine how proud you are and his graduation will no doubt be full of emotion.

Just wanted to share some lovely news re my non-dancing son.

Over the years my son has driven me crazy at times by constantly trying out different activities, excelling at them and then deciding to drop them for no apparent reason.  He’s almost 11 but over the year he has tried so many different past-times, with only his football and basketball surviving.

During November his school had a visiting coach from a nearby tennis club in school running a few taster sessions with the children.  He came home from school with a flyer for the club – which outlined when the classes were, it did draw everyone’s attention to the fact that currently some age groups were full.   However my son stressed to me that the coach had told him that if he was interested in going along that I was to call him.  After a day or two of nagging me, I called the coach and my son went along to that week’s class.

Well he’s been there for over 3 months now and after last week’s lesson, the coach asked to speak to me.  As of this week my son is moving up to the next age group as he, apparently, has an amazing aptitude for tennis and has shown skills far beyond his years.  He is able to ‘read and anticipate’ where the ball will bounce, the speed of it and his shot placement is amazing.

Now we’ve been here before, in respect of the praise and feedback from coaches etc, with many of his other adventures.  However I can honestly say that his excitement on the days when he has his tennis class is something new.  Even though his class isn’t until 7pm, he is up first, ready for school with his tennis gear all packed up ready to go into the car.  And when I pick him up from basketball, I get a very quick account of that class before he’s off telling me what he’s going to be doing at tennis.

It’s so lovely to see him like this. 

Watch out Andy Murray – well, maybe not for a few years yet!! J

• Like 9

Thanks thequays and Tulip - his excitement is infectious each week.  We always end up in fits of laughter at home, just because he's on such a high!!

He's just such a wee cutie that he still looks like my baby boy when he's this excited - dimples on full display each Wednesday - it's the perfect drug to get me through to the weekend. I'd make a fortune if I could bottle it. :D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well my son`s Health and Social Care Course is coming to an end. Another 7 weeks to go. Has already enrolled to do the same subject again at HND level in September. So,today he comes home from college and tells me he doesn`t want to work in Health and Social Care but wants to do something to do with music.!! He plays no instrument,and as far as I am aware has never shown an interest in music before. He did mention the same thing to me a couple of months ago,and I just sort of ignored it. Sean  said he wants to become a DJ. Not the sort that plays other people`s music in a nightclub,but the Fatboy Slim type of DJ,that makes their own music. He wants to make music and travel the world making music "Because you only get one life". He intends on doing  the HND up until he is 20 as he has enrolled on the course,but that is as far as he wants to take it. I`m pleased he has suddenly found some sort of wish to travel [partly inspired I think by his best friend who just yesterday set off for 4 months in Lanzarote living and working with his older brother]. When he came home this afternoon and told me again that he really wants a job in music I just nodded in agreement. He doesn`t want to study music,not at a local college or anywhere. In an ideal scenario he will complete his HND,and spread his wings with his music for a few years, then settle down to a nice,stable job looking after children or people with addictions or disabilities or whoever.! [but i`ll not be telling him that`s what I`m thinking.!!]

About time too,Sarah. It`s a lovely wee village where we live,with the larger town Newry [officially granted city status but really a large town with a population of around 40,000] only 6 miles down the road. I`m very happy living here.It`s fairly quiet and uneventful. But i`m 47 and I`ve lived in Manchester,London,Paris,Japan,been to Hong Kong,The Philippines ,Athens,all with my dancing. He isn`t going to be a dancer so will not have the same experiences of living in a foreign country that I had. There`s a whole world out there I want him to experience. Was looking on the internet for flights to Lanzarote and accommodation,as maybe Sean and his friend could go out for a couple of days in the summer to visit his friend who has just gone there. It`s high season so will be dear enough. But even 3 or 4 days would do him good. His course finishes on 4th June. It`s going to be a long old boring summer for him until he goes back to college in September.Unless he can find himself a temporary job of some sort.

• 2 months later...

Just phoned up Sean`s college to ask if they knew when BTEC were going to give out the grades. She checked his details and they have come through. As predicted,he has been awarded Distinction Distinction Merit,so I am absolutely delighted for him,to have been awarded the second highest grade.[This course doesn`t do the Distinction Star grade. ] When I told Sean he just grunted and turned over and went back to sleep. #Teenagers.

• Like 8

Super news. Congratulations to Sean.

Thanks Fiz. I`ve been on cloud nine about it all day. Just asked him if he had told his friends. I got an emphatic NO. Asked him why he doesn`t want to tell his friends what grades he received and he said telling his friends would be so uncool !!

• Like 3

Very well done to him! You must be so proud!

I am yes. Especially as he is naturally quite lazy,and for a while when he was at school we had the Education Welfare officer turning up because of his poor attendance. Things could have turned out very differently.

Well done Sean. Good results for going into the HND.

My two youngest have passed their 1st and 2nd years at uni. Son with very mixed results - some amazing and some just a pass - but his first year didn't count towards his degree. He wasn't surprised at the lower ones - they were modules he'd found particularly challenging.

Vet student daughter passed all her practicals this year (and the re-sits from last!) which is great (they don't have to pass them all in one go but it's great to get them out of the way). She's getting borderline "first" marks so when she goes back she's going to talk to her tutor about whether she can actually get a first with what she's got already. Her BSc will be finished next year as she has a research project and a dissertation to do. Then after that it's 2 more years to hopefully pass the rest of the the vet course (that bit's pass or fail I believe). She's just come back from 2 weeks on a pig farm, we're camping for 2 weeks, then she's got 2 weeks-ish at an equestrian centre near Abergavenny (staying in our trailer tent lol), then 2 weeks doing her first clinical placement at a vets in Devon. I don't know how she keeps it up!

• Like 7