RBS Junior Associate Newbies

BattementBatty

13 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

Good morning everyone,  I was wondering if anyone received an email about spring and summer intensives. I saw the applications are open now but we have not received the email (thought JA’s would). My DS will turn 10 the week before Spring intensives but I think  that should  be old enough to apply.

Many thanks in advance and happy week!

The RBS have changed the system they used from OpenApply which would appear to have been an in-house system for applications for vocational, associates and courses that they have used for the last few years to a web based event registration system Cvent.  As a result it would appear that no-one on the old system (those who have DC in current programmes or have been on recent courses) received a system generated email.  Instead everyone on the mailing list received the general applications are open e-mail  Hope this makes sense? 

• Like 1

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope this ok to ask here (seeing as you all have DC who are JAs seems a good a place as any!) - how far down into froggy were your children at time of audition? It's been suggested that my DD audition next year and although she is pretty flexible she is nowhere near flat in this stretch. And I understand this to be pretty mandatory to be accepted?

Trying to decide if it's worth even trying or whether we'd be setting ourselves up to fail. 

Not all the children in DD’s class had flat turnout. Some were quite a way off. But they all had that magical ‘something’ when they danced. I think at JAs you see more variety in the facility of the children. There is less variety by Year 7 though.
I think it is always worth a try. The audition experience in itself is lovely and if you take the day as a chance to experience the Royal Ballet School, then it’s not a case of pass or fail.

• Like 1

My DS is flexible in front splits and box splits - by hard work. He has never been totally down on his froggy so we also had concerns. He did an insight day before we applied for him to audition and on that day he was encouraged to 'sign up' and more importantly for us - he thoroughly enjoyed the day and was asking to have a go. His dance school is serious about encouraging boys and so they make little fuss about uniform etc  so we were not sure he would respond to more formal pedagogy but was blown away by how good the teachers were.

All round good experience!

Thank you - a couple of teachers from different schools have suggested she tries so I think we’ll give it a shot. Just so disheartening that something so completely out of her control plays such a big part. Vocational school has also been mentioned so best to get the disappointment out of the way now rather than spending the next couple of years working towards something that simply won’t happen. 

Still a few months to get everything else nailed ahead of audition season anyway 😀

Edited by BellaF

Not all the students at WL have flat turn out  - fact! Some do, but some have to really make the most of what they have by using the correct muscles. It’s about a balance of all the components and who scores highly overall. Don’t let it put your Dd off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has danced at the Summer Fair before? My ds is year 5 but first year JA. The email says they only dance if they have obtained the sufficient standards ( I was feeling remotely worried, lol). Any experiences? 

My son danced last year at the summer fair as a JA. It's a lovely day! The children are very well rehearsed and polished as they are representing the Junior Associate Programme. But it's a wonderful experience to be apart of! X

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

@Balletmumlife many thanks. Yes, it sounds fabulous. From your experience, if they attend all the rehearsal do they generally get to dance? 

I believe last year they all danced but I could be wrong as didn't know all the year 5 children. I suppose it depends from year to year and nothing is ever certain. X

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi @BalletBoyMumma,

I literally just received the email offering next year and asking parents to confirm.

xx

Ha, yes just seen - so have we but it went to my husband instead. I should have been more patient. Thank you.

I heard from someone else and mildly panicked as I hadn’t thought about that side of things yet. 

• Like 1

That’s what I’d assumed from the handbook we got too but someone with previous experience recently suggested otherwise to me. I should probably be more mindful to take what other people say with a pinch of salt. 😁 

I have the email now. 🥰 Yay! 

Is anyone else considering opting for 32 instead of 24 sessions? It’s a long commute for us and the current teacher is really lovely which is pulling us to stick at 24 but it is tempting. How do those of you with DCs doing 32 sessions feel? Is it just right? Too much for them? 
DS wants to but I’m worried I’d miss my weekends off (selfish-much?!? Haha!).  

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

18 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

That’s what I’d assumed from the handbook we got too but someone with previous experience recently suggested otherwise to me. I should probably be more mindful to take what other people say with a pinch of salt. 😁 

Is anyone else considering opting for 32 instead of 24 sessions? It’s a long commute for us and the current teacher is really lovely which is pulling us to stick at 24 but it is tempting. How do those of you with DCs doing 32 sessions feel? Is it just right? Too much for them? 

Hi we do the 32 (that was the only choice haha) and our DD has found it fine, no problems 😚

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Oh but we are very fortunate that we don't have to travel far.. 5 miles or so. I can see why 24 would work well if you having to travel a long distance. From the point of view of DD participating in 32 she's enjoyed it and found it ok.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Yes, it’s just over 2hrs of travelling by trains each way for us (about 70 miles).  I don’t mind too much as Covent Garden is lovely but it does take up a whole day and we are pretty knackered by the time we get home again in the evening. 

We travel 1 hour each way (50 miles) and do 32 sessions. It’s pretty much every weekend with the odd week off around half term and 3 weeks in April. DD loves it and we have embraced our busy Saturdays (read that as I’ve accepted that Saturdays are none existent for me now 😂). 

• Like 2