RBS Junior Associate Newbies

BattementBatty

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll go first.

Hair. When they say hair up bun or plaits do they actually mean plaits across head?

Does everyone buy the tracksuit?

Ballet shoes - split sole or full sole. I’ve not bought leather since she was about 5 so is there a particular pair that is preferred/ nicer?

I'm sure there’ll be more!

thanks. 

• Like 1

IMG_20190615_174121_296.thumb.jpg.4218fd5934269af7f457d848807697f8.jpgYear 4 and 5 have plaits.....yr 6 a bun....but I think that depends on the centre too (we are Leeds).

We just got the top as dd is so skinny I sent the pants back as they didnt fit her.....got a navy pair from next boys dept.

They should be wearing full sole as it works the feet, but I have noticed some splits creeping in....and yes leather. I dont think there is a preferred brand.

Have attached a photo of my dds hair.....I have had 2 years of this and cant wait to be just doing a bun!!!

Edited by sunrise81
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BattementBatty said:

I’ll go first.

Hair. When they say hair up bun or plaits do they actually mean plaits across head?

Does everyone buy the tracksuit?

Ballet shoes - split sole or full sole. I’ve not bought leather since she was about 5 so is there a particular pair that is preferred/ nicer?

I'm sure there’ll be more!

thanks. 

The start of a very exciting time! I miss our JA days. Plaits are across the head. (Easiest to do to high plaits with bands top and bottom and then pin in place. Bun net over the top, pin again and add bows) Everyone at our centre had the tracksuit, but it is not officially compulsory. Full sole leather ballet shoes with a single elastic. Enjoy!

Edited by SissonneDoublee

@sunrise81 Hair looks so lovely like that, but DDs is so long and thick. The pack I received said normal hair for first class and then the teacher will let you know what they prefer... DD will be going to Leeds so eek!!!

I did ask a question about the full tracksuit and was advised not to bother with the bottoms, but in the end I couldn't resist. If they don't fit they'll go back, but it felt easier to order everything at once.

9 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

The start of a very exciting time! I miss our JA days. Plaits are across the head. (Easiest to do to high plaits with bands top and bottom and then pin in place. Bun net over the top, pin again and add bows) Everyone at our centre had the tracksuit, but it is not officially compulsory. Full sole leather ballet shoes with a single elastic. Enjoy!

Do people wear bows or is that not RBS?  😂

6 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Yep you need a small bow pinned on to each side of the head. The teacher at Leeds wont mind a bun in the first lesson but she does expect the plaits for yr4 and 5 :)

I might have to talk DD into a nice new hair cut then, otherwise I'm not sure they will look as neat as yours :)

1 hour ago, sunrise81 said:

IMG_20190615_174121_296.thumb.jpg.4218fd5934269af7f457d848807697f8.jpgYear 4 and 5 have plaits.....yr 6 a bun....but I think that depends on the centre too (we are Leeds).

We just got the top as dd is so skinny I sent the pants back as they didnt fit her.....got a navy pair from next boys dept.

They should be wearing full sole as it works the feet, but I have noticed some splits creeping in....and yes leather. I dont think there is a preferred brand.

Have attached a photo of my dds hair.....I have had 2 years of this and cant wait to be just doing a bun!!!

nothing useful to add but we have to do this hair for our normal lessons, it is highly irritating.

16 minutes ago, glissade said:

My daughter has very thick hair. The plaits were always a nightmare. I called it the "hammerhead shark look"!! 

it is a bit of a pain to do but having done it repeatedly over the years on numerous hair types and lengths (for panto) thicker is actually easier than fine (curly is best as it wraps into place more easily). The trick is to not start too high, do your bunches lower down, plait them then wrap cross, over then across again. If very long you can do it in a x shape. Lots of bun pins round the outside edge of it and a head net (not a bun net) as then you can wrap it over 2 or 3 times then pin more. you want the longest bun pins you can find for it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SJBallet said:

I might have to talk DD into a nice new hair cut then, otherwise I'm not sure they will look as neat as yours :)

Just takes a bit of practise. DD has near waist length curls and we get it into plaits over. We do it wet, four bobbles, tight, and lots of gel spray! She wears it like that for exams etc too. We are y5 Leeds newbies. She’ll have plaits from the first day with her bows. I’ve heard full sole for the leathers also but the manual actually doesn’t specify anymore, only that they should be leather, and we have a pair of brand new split sole leathers that will be a perfect fit for September so I am tempted to send her in those until asked to change them! 

Thank you for starting this thread. Does anyone know if the leotards come up small? I’m tempted to get a 3A for my daughter going into year 6 because she’s tall for her age.  But then again 3A is for age 12-14 which sounds a bit big! 

14 minutes ago, 2Graceko said:

Thank you for starting this thread. Does anyone know if the leotards come up small? I’m tempted to get a 3A for my daughter going into year 6 because she’s tall for her age.  But then again 3A is for age 12-14 which sounds a bit big! 

I’ve ordered a size 2 for DD she’ll be 9 in Sept and is 132cm tall. I tried a couple of first position (make of the JA leotard) on at her dance school on sat. I don’t know if that helps at all. 

Thank you all for the hair tips, I’m reasonably ok with hair so with a bit of practice we should be fine. 

@Bluebird22 re the U shaped pins. Do you mean bun pins rather than grips? 

Edited by SJBallet
Typo

11 minutes ago, 2Graceko said:

My DD started Year 6 in a size 1, and ended in a 2. They are baggy around the crotch if too big, so better snug! Also, hand wash them every time, as letters drop off if they go in the machine! We had to replace one that only had bits of ‘Royal Ballet School’ printed on the back by Christmas! I think they were trying to resolve the problem, so may be better now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2Graceko said:

I would say they come up fairly large.

My daughter is coming to the end of year 5 and still wears a size 1 (she’s 138cm tall and slim build). I originally ordered a 2 and it was massive. 

6 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

Oh I wish I’d asked this first now. I’d assumed all first position would be sized the same. 

Re the hair bows, obviously we buy the ribbon, I would have cut it to size but with the braided plaits they would need to be a clip wouldn’t they as there is nothing to wrap a ribbon round? 

They definitely come up bigger than the ISTD ones. DD was in an ISTD leo size 2 when she had the RBS leo size 1. There is also a size 0 for the tinies. 

We tied bows (little ones) onto bobby pins, and gave them a blast of hairspray to keep the bow fastened.

Edited by SissonneDoublee

Ribbons - I did DD’s on a clip from yr4 then in yr6 the teacher decided she didn’t like them on a clip!

They can be done as you go - Do pigtails and plait. Wrap ribbon round top next to head and knot, then get child to hold ends out of the way. Finish off hair then tie ribbon into bows! Easy 😁

• Like 1

The skirt is the tricky one!

Ive seen all kinds of lengths and gatherings over the years! 😜

If I remember rightly, the teacher got the children to put skirts on then got them to kneel down to check length. The skirt was correct if it just touched the floor! It’s not meant to be character skirt length!! 

(this was for Manchester centre - she was always a stickler for everything being correct!) she is lovely and we still miss her classes. Definitely the best bit of this crazy  dance journey. 

Enjoy all these best bits, the getting the uniform, the trying the hair etc. It is definitely a fabulous experience and one that we were very proud of being a part of and have very fond memories ❤️❤️

• Like 2