RBS Junior Associate Newbies

BattementBatty

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh the hair!!!!!!

My dd was very fussy on her JA hair! If I didn’t do it perfect she made me take it out and redo it haha! Needless to say I made sure that didn’t happen often haha! Oh and dads, you better get practising too! As there were a few times when DH had to do it too! 

(Ps us mums were always on hand to do the odd extra head at class!😉)

Hi CrazyDanceMum - congratulations to your DD. :) 

I agree - very overwhelmed here too. 😰

Does anyone know what JA1 means? Is that just the class? He's 9 and we chose London 24 sessions as first choice and 32 as second (due to travelling distance), got the 24. Are the classes mixed (boy girl and ages)? I'm a bit clueless to how it all works. 

Thanks. :) 

Hi all 🙂 

Good info here already - thanks! We haven’t officially accepted the place yet (as we are in discussions about what centre DD will go to) so I haven’t got the info pack through.

Can I just check - does it specify leather ballet shoes for girls? DD has only ever had satin so may need to find a new style that fit well in leather if so (her feet are incredibly narrow so shoes can be tricky to find!) 

Hi, has anyone put through their uniform order yet? (I was looking to do it online via the Express Dance website rather than via the order form/email)

Any idea how the zip up sweatshirt sizes up compared to high street store clothing? My boy is 9 but very small and I think the 9-11 will drown him. I'm already having to order two sizes with the trunks (he measures 19-20inch waist but surely won't be the smallest size?! - though he does usually wear a 1 in footless ballet tights and shorts). Eek!! 

I’m thinking about just ordering the zip up jacket and buying navy leggings. I emailed and asked the shop and they said they are plain with no logo and at least she can try them on as I always have trouble getting bottoms to fit. 

I have got to measure her for the skirt before I send of the order. Will try to do that today. 

• Like 1

Yes, I'll be looking for joggers elsewhere for my DS as it's always a trouble having to find some with a slim enough or at least adjustable waistband. Everything drowns him. Plus as they are plain they'll probably be cheaper elsewhere too. M&S school range navy joggers might be worth looking at - my eldest daughter wears their boys school trousers because they are one of very few places that do them in tall and slim (as well as many other height and build variations). :) 

I've just looked at the leotards on the RBS shop and I'm stuck on sizing there too. At least there seems to be an easy returns process. 

26 minutes ago, Waverley said:

Hi all - we have finally accepted DD’s place today after a week of discussion 😂 

she will be in the Newcastle class - I’ve ordered a size 0 leo and a 7/8 jacket and hoping it all fits as she is a small 7 year old, not 8 until August... 

thanks for all the tips above!

Fab news. Well done your DD. 

Lovely idea for a group.  DD starts Birmingham JA in September, I'm just looking at ordering the tracksuit, does anyone know if they come up large or small.  DD is age 8, 9 in November but worried the 9-11 will drown her and the 7-8 may not last long.

exciting times :)

3 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

Lovely idea for a group.  DD starts Birmingham JA in September, I'm just looking at ordering the tracksuit, does anyone know if they come up large or small.  DD is age 8, 9 in November but worried the 9-11 will drown her and the 7-8 may not last long.

Totally butting in here, as I'm not a JA parent or a parent at all, but if it turns out that the smaller one will be suitable for now, why not try asking on the For Sale/Wanted sub-forum to see if another poster has a second-hand one which their child has outgrown?

38 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

When I emailed them they said they are true to size. DD is 9 in Sept and I ordered a 9-11 and I’m also worried it will be too big. 

The leotard arrived and is slightly baggy so I think I’ve got that wrong too. Despite doing all my measuring 😭

29 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

When I emailed them they said they are true to size. DD is 9 in Sept and I ordered a 9-11 and I’m also worried it will be too big. 

The leotard arrived and is slightly baggy so I think I’ve got that wrong too. Despite doing all my measuring 😭

I think the leotard is just a weird shape. The crotch is too wide so looks a bit big across there.  We’ve got a size 2 and my daughter is 11 in September and quite tall so couldn’t have a size 1 but she seems to think it is too big!  

I called the shop about the tracksuit and the measured the inside sleeve of the 9-11 tracksuit top as approx 48cm so we’ve gone for that one as it’s a little shorter than her current dance hoodie which is quite big for her. 

0C5FBFF0-00F4-4869-9076-2DD78321F6AD.jpeg

My DS is 130cm (9yrs but small) and we've ordered the 7-8 zip up jumper and it fits him well - growing space but not too bit and thankfully not small. 

The leotard on the other hand is weird. I ordered him a size 1 (his usual size) it's given him 4 bum cheeks and he says feels tight at the shoulders, however the sleeves are baggy and I can see if I ordered up it'd have been quite baggy around the waist. So difficult. It's a silky material - quite thick so good quality but I much prefer the cotton boys leotards as there's more give so you can play around with the size more. :( I think he might just have to get used to it. 

I measured his waist (20inch) and ordered up on shorts after phoning the shop to ask how tight they are (so got a 22) and they are really tiny. Boarderline uncomfortable. I'd have thought they'd have fitted around the leg better. They are a lot higher at the front of the leg too which we've not come across before. Think Bridget Jones pants. 😂

• Like 1

Oh dear, looks like we’re all having issues. @BattementBatty Your DDs leotard looks good, but I can see what you mean about the crotch. 

I tried DDs again yesterday and thought it was ok but looked again and it gapes at the shoulders so I have ordered a size 1. I’m keeping the size 2 as she’ll grow into it at some point. 

I also emailed to change DDs tracksuit to a 7-8. 🤞🤞

Going down a size in the leotard definitely helped with the gathering at the crotch in DD’s case. When you arrive for the first lesson, you realise that everyone has the same problem and it seems to matter less! 

I’m sure I remember that the tracksuit is an embroidered Fruit of the Loom zip-up jacket. The bottoms are very wide, but have a gathered ankle so they do get away with it. It just all seems so important, and then you arrive for the first lesson and the teaching is so lovely that anything seems far less important!

• Like 1

DD is going into y5 and “average height”, slim- to average body.’size 1 leotard arrived and fits well, aside from the too much fabric at the crotch. Age 9-11 tracksuit is generous but manageable. Bottoms are definitely baggy but she’s beyond thrilled. The pants are a bizarre specimen and we probably should have ordered the large but at nearly £7 the medium will do for this year! She is insanely excited with it. 

@PutYourBooteesOn oh that’s fab. It’s lovely hearing how excited she is. DD has no idea about the tracksuit 😁. I’ve kept it a surprise until now and thought about waiting for her birthday beginning of Sept but I don’t think I’ll be able to once it arrives 🙈. Yours came really quickly. I ordered ours on the Sat after the results and still waiting for it all, however it did give me time to change the order for the track suit to a 7-8 (I’m hoping I’ve done the right thing!)

A size 1 leotard arrived for DD today and it’s snug (with the strange crotch) if she grows anymore before sept I’m not sure it’ll fit but I didn’t send the size 2 back so we have options 😁

Hairdressers tomorrow so we had a bit of practice with hair at the weekend (DDs hair is very long and thick) and it went in securely but looked bulky from the back and not like the pictures attached above. It looked lovely from the front though. So.... DD agreed that we need to have a good trim and thin out tomorrow (phew!! Always a battle 😂😂)

I tried to include a pic of her hair but it always say the file is too big and I don’t know how to make it smaller on my phone. 

13 hours ago, SJBallet said:

@PutYourBooteesOn oh that’s fab. It’s lovely hearing how excited she is. DD has no idea about the tracksuit 😁. I’ve kept it a surprise until now and thought about waiting for her birthday beginning of Sept but I don’t think I’ll be able to once it arrives 🙈. Yours came really quickly. I ordered ours on the Sat after the results and still waiting for it all

The leotard we ordered new and came in two days. The tracksuit & skirt we bought from a friend. Don’t worry, it’s not yours being unusually slow x