RBS Junior Associate Newbies

BattementBatty

5 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Yes in Leeds they walk in to class in full tracksuit and sometimes keep it on for warm up, especially in winter as studios are freezing. 

Oh that’s good to know. I bought the full tracksuit and although the bottoms are a bit baggy they’re ok, and if they wear them for more than just travelling I’m happy I got them x

• Like 1

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sunrise81 said:

Yes in Leeds they walk in to class in full tracksuit and sometimes keep it on for warm up, especially in winter as studios are freezing. 

Ahh my dd is based at Birmingham. BRB studios always boiling! 

7 hours ago, ExBallerina said:

I’m about to order the uniform....does anyone happen to know if the boys trunks come up small , big or true to size ?

Thanks xx 

We found them small. I phoned the shop and was advised they are very tight so measure and order either the exact size or one size up (because they should still be nice and tight). We ordered next size up from his waist size and they fit perfectly (and he's super skinny). 

On 23/07/2019 at 22:22, Mrs Brown said:

sorry no I meant the elasticated bit of the waistband. I am assuming they have some elastic in them and then pretend drawstrings at the front. If they haven't actually stitched through the elastic when they have sewn the waistband down then you might be able to cut a hole and pull it through to shorten it. Unfortunately some shops do sew through it which means you can't. 

Oh that makes sense. Thank you! I'm going to try that. 

On 23/07/2019 at 22:22, Mrs Brown said:

sorry no I meant the elasticated bit of the waistband. I am assuming they have some elastic in them and then pretend drawstrings at the front. If they haven't actually stitched through the elastic when they have sewn the waistband down then you might be able to cut a hole and pull it through to shorten it. Unfortunately some shops do sew through it which means you can't. 

Oh you are a star! Thank you!!! His Asda pair now fit perfectly. :) 

So simple but I'd never have thought of doing that. I just need to figure out how to add a photo (file too big apparently) but just wanted to show fit of both the joggers and zip up jumper incase it might help others with their orders and sizing. 

• Like 1

5a7bdd55-c59e-4410-ac7c-741504009f63.thumb.jpg.ccc94289cb68126f612998e93c3bcb24.jpg

Got the photo upload to work finally. Hope I'm allowed to do this and that it's useful.

So, he's 9 but tends to be smaller and skinnier than most boys his age. Height 129cm 

Zip Up RBS Jumper is 7-8yrs - spacious but doesn't drown him. 

Joggers are Asda school dept ones (slim leg style - £5) age 8-9yrs. Had to snip and tweak the elastic but now fit perfectly with growing space (Thank you Mrs Brown). :) 

The colour is a very, tiny bit darker on the bottoms but also the closest we could find. And as you can see, it's not noticeable. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

We found them small. I phoned the shop and was advised they are very tight so measure and order either the exact size or one size up (because they should still be nice and tight). We ordered next size up from his waist size and they fit perfectly (and he's super skinny). 

Brilliant thanks, I’ve ordered the 24 and hopefully they will fit just right as he’s really a 22 . Xx 

• Like 1

so pleased I could help Balletboymumma. I am only on this thread out of sheer nosiness and enjoying sharing other people's news, one of mine hates ballet and only does it to enable her to do tap and Spanish and whilst the other one is pretty good she would never be able to do associates or anything because of a medical condition so we won't ever be doing any of this.

I take in so many waists like this as mine are both very skinny.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

5a7bdd55-c59e-4410-ac7c-741504009f63.thumb.jpg.ccc94289cb68126f612998e93c3bcb24.jpg

Got the photo upload to work finally. Hope I'm allowed to do this and that it's useful.

So, he's 9 but tends to be smaller and skinnier than most boys his age. Height 129cm 

Joggers are Asda school dept ones (slim leg style - £5) age 8-9yrs. Had to snip and tweak the elastic but now fit perfectly with growing space (Thank you Mrs Brown). :) 

The colour is a very, tiny bit darker on the bottoms but also the closest we could find. And as you can see, it's not noticeable. 

This is excellent thanks....I’ve just ordered this morning and ordered 9-11 in the jumper but after seeing your pic , I think it’s going to drown DS so will probably have to get 7-8 xx

7 minutes ago, Mrs Brown said:

so pleased I could help Balletboymumma. I am only on this thread out of sheer nosiness and enjoying sharing other people's news, one of mine hates ballet and only does it to enable her to do tap and Spanish and whilst the other one is pretty good she would never be able to do associates or anything because of a medical condition so we won't ever be doing any of this.

I take in so many waists like this as mine are both very skinny.

Oh, bless you - well I'm so very glad for your presence. 😊

My eldest is similar, though she fairly recently ditched all the others in favour of more ballet (which confused me as it was her least favourite of the three: ballet/tap/modern) but she wouldn't ever entertain the idea of applying for anything at all (I don't mind really as it's less stress for me). She dances for herself only and that's fine by me. 

To be honest, of all three of mine (two girls and a boy) I never thought it'd be the boy child that we were doing all this for. 😁 But here we are. 

I hope both of your girls enjoy their dancing, whatever form it is and however often they do it. ❤️ That's the most important thing really. :) 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ExBallerina said:

This is excellent thanks....I’ve just ordered this morning and ordered 9-11 in the jumper but after seeing your pic , I think it’s going to drown DS so will probably have to get 7-8 xx

It might be ok. :) If you do wait for it to arrive and see if it fits please could you let us know? I'm intrigued to know if there's a big difference. Also, I bet quite a few children will be wearing them pretty big at first. 

24 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Oh, bless you - well I'm so very glad for your presence. 😊

My eldest is similar, though she fairly recently ditched all the others in favour of more ballet (which confused me as it was her least favourite of the three: ballet/tap/modern) but she wouldn't ever entertain the idea of applying for anything at all (I don't mind really as it's less stress for me). She dances for herself only and that's fine by me. 

To be honest, of all three of mine (two girls and a boy) I never thought it'd be the boy child that we were doing all this for. 😁 But here we are. 

I hope both of your girls enjoy their dancing, whatever form it is and however often they do it. ❤️ That's the most important thing really. :) 

thank you. yes she loves her tap and Spanish and the other one likes everything at the moment but she is a bit younger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Looks great. Not sure I can manage the tweak but will try buying those as well (can’t ever have enough uniform anyway).Oh and he has ballet barre? Wow

I got  the leotards yesterday in sizes 1 and 2 and size 1 fits really well (the crotch was even ok). It is all so exciting (sort of wish it was me going 😂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Looks great. Not sure I can manage the tweak but will try buying those as well (can’t ever have enough uniform anyway).Oh and he has ballet barre? Wow

I got  the leotards yesterday in sizes 1 and 2 and size 1 fits really well (the crotch was even ok). It is all so exciting (sort of wish it was me going 😂

Haha, ours is really weird fitting - gives him four bum cheeks and I didn't think he had enough weight on him for that ever to happen. 😂 He'll have to live with it as the size 2 would be huge on him. 

Nooo! It's one of my husband's dip bars (or called something like that) but it mostly gets used as a play thing - the kids are currently sat with a blanket draped over each side to create a den (crazy in this heat), pigging out on snacks while they are watching Beauty & the Beast. 😁  It never gets used for it's intended purpose. 😂

My eldest daughter (13) does have a cheapie portable ballet barre but she doesn't let the younger two use it much. It's a bit flimsy - ok for her as she's learnt to be much more controlled, the younger ones tend to pull on it more which makes it unstable. I can't say I recommend it - holding the back of a chair as a makeshift barre works just as well, if not better, at this age. :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SJBallet said:

I did the same but emailed them to change the order and they did so we had the 7-8 delivered instead :)

Good idea , thanks ...I ordered the 2 in the leotard but now wondering if I need to downsize that too 🤪 xx

On 23/07/2019 at 20:47, Shelovesdance said:

Hi All,

Another newbie here. I’ve just been reading through and already have learnt so much from this thread thank you.

I have a question. My DD is Y4 Leeds. I just wondered how many are in the class and how many are Y4 vs Y5 (I think Y6 are in a separate class??)

Also I hadn’t clocked it was single strap, single sole leather ballet shoes. Is this a strict rule? DD has the most beautiful Grishko canvas, double strap, split sole ones...sadly I’ll have to keep those for her normal ballet class from the sounds of it.

Oh and we have the uniform and I’m a little bit in love with it😍😂

Looking forward to chatting to you all

The shoe rule is quite strict I think from what I’ve heard from a mum of a previous London JA. Leather full sole works the foot harder apparently!

1 hour ago, BattementBatty said:

The shoe rule is quite strict I think from what I’ve heard from a mum of a previous London JA. Leather full sole works the foot harder apparently!

This really does make sense. Split soles are lovely, but I keep telling my DD that they are a lazy shoe (as in make your feet look nice without having to really try.. I find this myself when swapping between my own split soles and soft blocks :lol:). I keep telling DD that full leather will prepare her feet much better for pointe, for which she is counting down the years!

• Like 1

our dance teacher will only let them wear full sole until they are much much older. I do look at all the split soles at festivals though and wonder whether we should get a pair for festivals because they really do make foot point look so much better

* slightly silly question alert *

Ok so totally new to this 😊 after trying to work out the photograph rules with uniform etc, it got me wondering haha. My dc wants to wear the tracky top nearly all the time (and let's face it who wouldn't) luckily too hot at the moment but is this ok for it to be worn, Where ever and when ever type thing? Feel silly asking the associates office this! I'm sure the novelty will wear off but until then can dc wear it?

2 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

* slightly silly question alert *

Ok so totally new to this 😊 after trying to work out the photograph rules with uniform etc, it got me wondering haha. My dc wants to wear the tracky top nearly all the time (and let's face it who wouldn't) luckily too hot at the moment but is this ok for it to be worn, Where ever and when ever type thing? Feel silly asking the associates office this! I'm sure the novelty will wear off but until then can dc wear it?

I can't see why not (I don't remember seeing anything about it in the information booklet) but if you are wary of not upsetting them there are other Royal Ballet hoodies in other styles. They sell them at nearly all RBS events/auditions and there is a seller on eBay (but not sure if it's an approved seller though they look exactly the same as the ones that were sold at the auditions).

I didn't buy anything there incase he didn't get in (I didn't think he would) 😆 I didn't want to get his hopes up. 

I too quite like the exclusive associates ones though. It's almost like a badge of honour. 😁 Though I think I'll be protecting it so much that he'll only wear it for classes and any events that might come up (I'm hoping there are some!). ☺️

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

My dd wore her full tracksuit to school for a day when they had to dress up in their favourite sport or hobby.......off she went.....all the other kids thought it was so cool! Her dance school have always put a photo of her on social media in her uniform wishing her food luck at start of year and workshops. We have never been told off.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

I can't see why not (I don't remember seeing anything about it in the information booklet) but if you are wary of not upsetting them there are other Royal Ballet hoodies in other styles. They sell them at nearly all RBS events/auditions and there is a seller on eBay (but not sure if it's an approved seller though they look exactly the same as the ones that were sold at the auditions).

I didn't buy anything there incase he didn't get in (I didn't think he would) 😆 I didn't want to get his hopes up. 

I too quite like the exclusive associates ones though. It's almost like a badge of honour. 😁 Though I think I'll be protecting it so much that he'll only wear it for classes and any events that might come up (I'm hoping there are some!). ☺️

Hi thank you...  did have a route around looking for a royal ballet hoodie but couldn't find one. At Dcs audition no merchandise at all sadly.

I can see it's going to get worn 😂 but hopefuly will be a short thing 😊 x

19 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

My dd wore her full tracksuit to school for a day when they had to dress up in their favourite sport or hobby.......off she went.....all the other kids thought it was so cool! Her dance school have always put a photo of her on social media in her uniform wishing her food luck at start of year and workshops. We have never been told off.

Ahh fab good to know, thank you. Yep O think it's on the list for a similar school event 😂😂 thankyou x

Hi Everyone,

just have a quick question. My ds is starting JA in September in year 5. I was wondering about the Easter intensive course. Do JA formally audition for it? What is the audition like for intensive courses? He will have just turned 10 before the Easter holidays.

many thanks in advance and enjoy the summer and getting uniforms ready 😘

1 hour ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi Everyone,

just have a quick question. My ds is starting JA in September in year 5. I was wondering about the Easter intensive course. Do JA formally audition for it? What is the audition like for intensive courses? He will have just turned 10 before the Easter holidays.

many thanks in advance and enjoy the summer and getting uniforms ready 😘

The Easter and summer intensives are photo application for JAs, the same as everyone else. I think you do tick on the form to say that you are a JA, but I’m not sure how much difference it makes in their decision. Good luck! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

The Easter and summer intensives are photo application for JAs, the same as everyone else. I think you do tick on the form to say that you are a JA, but I’m not sure how much difference it makes in their decision. Good luck! 

Many thanks for your quick response!!!😘

Year 5 JA can  only apply for summer intensive.....yr 4 nothing. Yr 6 JA Easter and summer........or that's how it was this year. 

I dont know how they choose off the 1000s of photos they see!!!

Edited by sunrise81

18 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Year 5 JA can  only apply for summer intensive.....yr 4 nothing. Yr 6 JA Easter and summer........or that's how it was this year. 

I dont know how they choose off the 1000s of photos they see!!!

Hi Sunrise81, many thanks for this. From your experience, do you know  how many JA’s are offered a place on an intensive course? Is it as impossible as everything else? I was hoping JA’s would get a place more easily 😩From this year’s handbook, it looks like Year 5s can apply for both Spring and Summer intensives. 😘 Do they receive any tips or help with photos?