RBS Junior Associates 2019

AllAboutTheJourney

13 hours ago, Matilda said:

How many children do they look for and how many classes do they hold ?

I was wondering this. My daughter auditioned on Tuesday in London for a year 6 place but do they have any spaces for year 6?  Do they have new year 6 spaces or does it depend on how many year 5s there already are?

She got SWL last year which was a big surprise as we were not expecting anything so I’ve been trying to temper the expectation this year! 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe yr 4&5 are together so the 5s move up to make a new yr6 class plus new intake freeing up space in the combined yr4/5 class. I don’t think there’s a ‘set’ no of yr 4 and yr 5 places

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDanceDad said:

I was under the impression that everyone has to audition again, even if they were a JA the previous year?

JAs keep their place through until the end of Year 6, except in unusual circumstances. Everyone has to reaudition for Year 7 places, whether MA or WL, and places from then on are subject to annual assessments.

• Like 1

Just now, SissonneDoublee said:

JAs keep their place through until the end of Year 6, except in unusual circumstances. Everyone has to reaudition for Year 7 places, whether MA or WL, and places from then on are subject to annual assessments.

Thank you for the info....seems that little glimmer of hope just got smaller

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheDanceDad said:

I was under the impression that everyone has to audition again, even if they were a JA the previous year?

No, for the Junior associates no one has to audition again if already there. They have to audition again for a Mid (yr7 upwards) place though

1 minute ago, TheDanceDad said:

Thank you for the info....seems that little glimmer of hope just got smaller

The odds aren’t great, mathematically speaking, but there were 8 new JAs in the Year 6 class, plus new students in the Year 4/5 class, and that is just one of the eight (nine now?) centres. Some of the DC will make it against the odds. The new JAs from our centre that were admitted into Year 6 were the higher proportion of those invited to WL finals. You just never know what will happen! Fingers crossed for everyone waiting on results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fairydust said:

Hello @Astrid my DD also auditioned for Royal JA as well as Elmhurst. Another waiting game. What time was your DD st Birmingham audition? My DD was number 74 😊 

We were in group 3 which was at 2pm. You must have been the group before us I think? There was a lot of year 4 wasn’t there! xx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astrid said:

We were in group 3 which was at 2pm. You must have been the group before us I think? There was a lot of year 4 wasn’t there! xx

It's the all England regionals at the mo. South East had a lot of groups clashing with the auditions. Tough call which one to choose. We were lucky we didn't have that but dd went and injured herself! 

2 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

I would have thought JA auditions would take preference over All England, which sounds good, but.

But if it’s a duet, group or anything other than a solo, the DC would be letting others down. We missed an audition one year due to a clash with an AED duet. It’s disappointing, but the right thing to do. Other opportunities came later, and we have never regretted the missed audition, and the friendship was, and is, worth far more!

• Like 3

Hi all - well it was a great experience as hoped and DD loved it :-) Absolutely desperate to get in now but I think she'll be fine if she doesn't, she's very aware of how tough it is and that hit home seeing all of the (many) girls there at the audition I think. A very positive experience though, she loved just getting to go in to the RBS and seeing all the beautiful photos and statues etc. I say girls consciously as the audition DD was at was girls only though I know some are mixed. 

We were taken in at 2.15 on the dot (no point arriving any earlier than your specified time) and shown to an studio where the girls all got ready. Everyone was given a number to pin on their own child's front and back. We had around 20 mins or so to get ready and then Liz (whose second name escapes me but she sent us the audition emails) came in to tell everyone housekeeping things like toilets and fire alarms. She also said no pictures please when the girls line up.

Mark Annear then came in with the panel to introduce them all. It was him, Sylvia Hubbard and one of the JA London teachers and there was also a second teacher who was going to be leading the class. Nice chat about how they would love to take them all but they only had a very few places and if not successful this year then to keep trying as they are all very young and lots can change etc etc. He also said to expect results at the end of June. 

The panel then went out and the teacher leading the class asked the girls to line up in number order. There were around 25 of them and DD was second last - it looked like it might be age order as others have said as DD is not 8 till August so very possibly one of the youngest applying. They were then led off all smiles, being encouraged by the teacher to wave to their parent. It was lovely and to be honest i was just blown away by the confidence of them all to just line up and walk into an audition at the RBS like that, 7 years old, most of them not knowing anyone at all. Was very proud of DD. 

I know most of the auditions are past now but in case it's of any help to anyone reading this thread in the future my DD gave us a pretty thorough run through of what they did at the London audition on Friday (youngest group). Will post it below. 

After an hour they all ran out and it looked like smiles all round. DD said she was happy as she had tried her very best and that loved it so that's all that matters of course.

• Like 3

DD's summary of the audition:

Everyone had to line up in lines of 6, there were only 5 in her line as she was in the back. When they did things in lines they did it a line at a time then moved to the side once they'd finished. 

It started with standing (in bare feet) to the front, straight legs and in plie in first, then to the side and with bent knees (legs parallel)

Sitting down with legs straight ahead, showing pointed feet and flexed feet

Sitting down in pike fold

Box splits (no side splits)

Frog on their backs

Lying on tummy with legs out to the side (the move discussed above) 

Shoes back on and then they did improv - they had to pretend to be seaweed and could do it sitting crossed legs or on their knees. DD chose to do it on her knees so she could move more. They were told the music would be 'sunny and soft then stormy and sharp'

They then went to the barre and did an exercise which involved tendus to the front and side and plies in first and second 

Then from the corner they had to so something that DD described as pony trots

Then gallops to each side with their arms moving too (they were shown what to do)

Then something from the corner which was 'gallops, spring points, skips, turns and finish in any pose you wanted'

Some more gallops (?) then sautes in first position. 

With the things from the corner they did it in groups of three, although DD only had 2 in her group due to the numbers.

Finally they all came back to the centre to curtsey and that was it!

Edited by Waverley
  • Like 1

@Astrid I'm not sure if they were all year 4 with DD. They said it was in age order and her birth month is November so she is one of the older in her year, I'm not sure if she was in with some year 5, she looked very small in comparison to most??  just guessing though xx

@Fairydust ah ok maybe that could be the case. What time was your audition? At ours the numbers started at 86 or something like that? ours was at 2 and there was another one after us at 330. This is a long wait isn’t it. thinking it could be next week we hear? X

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

@Astrid I'm not sure if they were all year 4 with DD. They said it was in age order and her birth month is November so she is one of the older in her year, I'm not sure if she was in with some year 5, she looked very small in comparison to most??  just guessing though xx

The JA group for yrs4/5 is mixed so if your dd is older in the year she may have been in with some younger yr5s. 

• Like 1

I hope you’re right Astrid and it’s next week! Last year Newcastle results went out on June 6th....not likely this year with the Dundee audition but this wait is killing me now, ha! April 30th seems like forever ago! 

• Like 2

The Newcastle audition was on April 30th so five weeks ago tomorrow. They come out in order of audition venue usually so Newcastle will be first and then they filter out from there over the next two weeks or so I think?

Comes out in audition centre order but not necessarily with the same time gaps... so last year I think London results started to come out a week after Eastleigh (and the London results themselves took at least 2days from beginning to end!) although the auditions themselves are a good couple of weeks apart. 

I think the results come out by centre, in order of when the auditions were held. I don’t think any will come out before all auditions are complete. The London audition is always in the half term (at least last 3 years), and the last two years our result has been in the third week back to school - on the Wednesday the first time (Friday audition) and on Tuesday the second time (Wednesday audition). So I wont start refreshing email until then 😂

Ok thanks everyone, we were Bath which was 23rd may so in that case we'll be near the end. I won't start frantically refreshing emails for a couple of weeks then or I'll wear my phone out! 😂

Will be exciting to share results as they come in! Good luck everyone. 🤞🤞🤞