RBS Junior Associates 2019

AllAboutTheJourney

Very curious to see (on social media) a group of girls from the same dance school auditioning yesterday at Eastleigh.  The reason it made me curious is because my DD says they were definitely in the London auditions last year as she saw them. I’m assuming they are auditioning in Eastleigh to attend the London centre as the dance school’s current RBS Associates all seem to be in London and geographically much closer to London.  I’ve always therefore wondered whether it would be good to try and audition in different centres after a “no” result. I always thought this might be a bit naughty as one would assume, if there is no legitimate reason (for example, being away on holiday during the audition date of your nearest centre) , that you would choose to audition in the nearest centre which is likely to be the centre you would like to attend.  It was this latter thought that made us apply to audition in London for London again this year - although I have been advised by some to try a different centre. Is everyone trying to avoid the London centre for some reason?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it gives any advantage or disadvantage auditioning in a different centre from the one you wish to attend for JAs.  However if you are geographically between two centres it might be better to choose the one that has a lower population in its "catchment" area!

3 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I don't think it gives any advantage or disadvantage auditioning in a different centre from the one you wish to attend for JAs.  However if you are geographically between two centres it might be better to choose the one that has a lower population in its "catchment" area!

Ah ok, makes sense.  How does it work though, would those who audition in Eastleigh (or elsewhere) for London be 'compared' to those who actually audition in London?  I know the results come out in centre order of where you auditioned.

I suppose London is in half term so it’s possible that some audition at other centres if they have holidays or other commitments. We’re doing London this year but it was annoying having to block out 3 possible dates and not plan any holiday events until day/time was confirmed even though they give a ‘guide’ as to when the age groups are likely to be. 

3 minutes ago, Hazel said:

I suppose London is in half term so it’s possible that some audition at other centres if they have holidays or other commitments. We’re doing London this year but it was annoying having to block out 3 possible dates and not plan any holiday events until day/time was confirmed even though they give a ‘guide’ as to when the age groups are likely to be. 

Same here. 

Last year we couldn’t travel or make any plans for the much awaited half term break, because of the audition, right in the middle of the week, over 3 days. 

We live in SW London near the A3, so popping down to Eastleigh was not an issue. 

I have no idea if this helps or hinders.

Someone in the panel was an Eastleigh RBS JA teacher. 

1 hour ago, Balletmamatotwo said:

Very curious to see (on social media) a group of girls from the same dance school auditioning yesterday at Eastleigh.  The reason it made me curious is because my DD says they were definitely in the London auditions last year as she saw them. I’m assuming they are auditioning in Eastleigh to attend the London centre as the dance school’s current RBS Associates all seem to be in London and geographically much closer to London.  I’ve always therefore wondered whether it would be good to try and audition in different centres after a “no” result. I always thought this might be a bit naughty as one would assume, if there is no legitimate reason (for example, being away on holiday during the audition date of your nearest centre) , that you would choose to audition in the nearest centre which is likely to be the centre you would like to attend.  It was this latter thought that made us apply to audition in London for London again this year - although I have been advised by some to try a different centre. Is everyone trying to avoid the London centre for some reason?

Perhaps they were auditioning at a different centre due to All England regionals that are on in half term? 

Yes the half term dates are so annoying, especially since I often have to work over school holidays.  I suppose we can (once again) make a nice day of it shopping and lunch. I’m just wondering if we get the anticipated no we should try Eastleigh for example next year as there would be fewer applicants and possibly a better chance ?  Not sure if this is the case as the panel surely is the same for all centres?  I travel quite a bit for work and actually it might be easier for me to bring DD to either Newcastle or Leeds next year and not miss a day in the office.  Totally understand that most might have clashes etc over school holidays but this one just stood out to me as it looks like a good number from the same school were there.  But yes, maybe it's because of All England.  Not entirely sure as DD doesn't do festivals.

Over the years as a teacher I have had various JAs and Mids.  From what has been explained to me by the Associate teachers and on Insight days, there is a rigorous schedule listing various attributes which the panel mark.  In an audition, each member of the panel is allocated certain candidates they will mark on the initial line up where physique and flexibility are checked, it is not that all panel members are looking at all candidates.  So within one centre's audition, afterwards RBS will be comparing the marks allocated, and so it will not be difficult to compare with other centres either. 

19 hours ago, balletboy8 said:

Thank you Spamcat and Waverly. He doesn't think it went too well. We had to buy him new shorts and he said they kept riding up so he stopped a couple of times to sort them out in the middle of some moves. C'est la vie - he is already talking about next year 😊

Hello @balletboy8 my son auditioned for the first time for a Y6 JA place last year, and just hated the audition. He was completely overwhelmed by the whole experience, they covered the mirrors for the audition and this totally freaked him out. He also made lots of little mistakes from nerves, and was completely thrown by the lack of dancing. But much to our amazement he was offered a place.

And he is now due to start MA’s with RBS in September. 

So you really never do know. 😁

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Over the years as a teacher I have had various JAs and Mids.  From what has been explained to me by the Associate teachers and on Insight days, there is a rigorous schedule listing various attributes which the panel mark.  In an audition, each member of the panel is allocated certain candidates they will mark on the initial line up where physique and flexibility are checked, it is not that all panel members are looking at all candidates.  So within one centre's audition, afterwards RBS will be comparing the marks allocated, and so it will not be difficult to compare with other centres either. 

I do wonder then if they make the final decisions after all auditions?  Because if they did it after every centre, taking into account what centre they want to attend, it would seem likely that London places can possibly get allocated even before the actual London auditions?  And if they make their decisions after all auditions do they then go back to look at their marking sheets and photos?  It seems like an awfully long time from the first audition to the last especially now there is an additional centre in Scotland. How could they possibly remember the children? I suppose as with anything RBS we never really know what the exact formula is :D

1 minute ago, Balletmamatotwo said:

If I do wonder then if they make the final decisions after all auditions?  Because if they did it after every centre, taking into account what centre they want to attend, it would seem likely that London places can possibly get allocated even before the actual London auditions?  And if they make their decisions after all auditions do they then go back to look at their marking sheets and photos?  It seems like an awfully long time from the first audition to the last especially now there is an additional centre in Scotland. How could they possibly remember the children? I suppose as with anything RBS we never really know what the exact formula is :D

Well @Balletmamatotwo I too thought that perhaps there really is no exact formula, but actually from being able to follow my son’s progress from a JA last year, through Prelim, Finals and MA audition selection; there does seem to be a very specific formula.

All the boys from my son’s JA class that were selected for the finals, and offered places at WL or MAs, except for a slight height variation had exactly the same body type, physical proportions and the same flexibility in their physical facility.

I also met two Y8 MA boys on a recent Intensive and again they were practically identical physically to my son with the same level of flexibility.. Even the shape and size of their heads were the same.

So for me IMHO looking at these Associate boys, RBS absolutely do have a very exacting formula.

There are of course exceptions but I suspect they are very few and far between.

• Like 1

Good luck to all those who auditioned for an Eastleigh place yesterday. My dd is currently in her second year there (year 5) and will be moving to year 6 in September. 

I absolutely feel for you all having to wait for 'that email' and it is something i remember very well!! 

Maybe see some of you next term.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Motomum said:

Hello @balletboy8 my son auditioned for the first time for a Y6 JA place last year, and just hated the audition. He was completely overwhelmed by the whole experience, they covered the mirrors for the audition and this totally freaked him out. He also made lots of little mistakes from nerves, and was completely thrown by the lack of dancing. But much to our amazement he was offered a place.

And he is now due to start MA’s with RBS in September. 

So you really never do know. 😁

Hi Motomum, that sounds like there might be some hope. Thank you - he is really low today which is hard to see 🙁

I was jusy wondering from what I've read. Do they actually do any dancing at all in the auditions? Or any spotting and spinning? Or is it all stretches and posture? Is it very different to what they did at the insight day?

18 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

I was jusy wondering from what I've read. Do they actually do any dancing at all in the auditions? Or any spotting and spinning? Or is it all stretches and posture? Is it very different to what they did at the insight day?

Funnily enough that was pretty much the first thing my DD told me when she came out of the audition last year. She said there wasn’t really much dancing apart from a bit of corner work (gallops, skips) and improvisation (which can be dancing depending on how the child interprets it I suppose). She also said that one of the very first things that were looked at by the panel very closely were “body and feet”. She said after that it was obvious the panel were looking at a few particular kids. I think that after those initial few minutes of physical assessment at the start, it’s pretty much game over for some kids sadly. Sure enough, looking at those who got places, all are of similar physique (regardless of height, which seems to have more of a variety). Those who were slightly  different physique all seemed to either have lovely ballet feet (high arches, articulated toes etc) or are extremely flexible (or both).

• Like 1

In my limited experience I can vouch for what balletmamatotwo says above. It was very different to the insight day from what I can tell. They first half seems to have been lining up in front of the panel in different positions and stretches. It was also done in bare feet. The second half was skips, gallops, jumps and a bit of improv. Whatever they did they all loved it because every child came out flushed and smiling! I’d say we got our money’s worth just having the class - DD is happy with that, she said it was the best class ever..🙃

• Like 2

We didn’t end up going to an insight day (it was cancelled) but I believe that the insight day is more akin to a normal weekly/fortnightly JA class. I believe - though correct me if I am wrong - that the audition to get through to that point though is very much about legs and feet and body, with a bit of improv thrown in to check for musicality?

DD had an internal dance school audition recently for their internal associates programme which was very similar, and I believe Scottish ballet associates auditions this weekend were also very much about legs/feet/stretching rather than ‘dancing’ per se.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. Glad to hear that they do a bit of improv so they get a chance to do a bit if dancing and be themselves! Interesting about the variety of heights, my daughter has good physique/flexibility according to her teacher but is quite short so I was a bit concerned about that. We went to the insight day in Totnes but are auditioning in Bath.

46 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Thanks for your replies. Glad to hear that they do a bit of improv so they get a chance to do a bit if dancing and be themselves! Interesting about the variety of heights, my daughter has good physique/flexibility according to her teacher but is quite short so I was a bit concerned about that. We went to the insight day in Totnes but are auditioning in Bath.

My daughter is very short too. She’s almost 9 and 125 cm. Always the shortest in every group. 

Our teacher thinks that’s probably why she was rejected last year (yr 3). She’s was tiny then. 

My DD auditioned in Eastleigh on 13th May this year after a flat no last year for a year 5 place , followed a wait list for White lodge summer intensive. The audition was identical to last year's even down to the specifics of the improv. DD says they were taught a little exercise/dance routine and even the steps for that were exactly the same as last year and they literally hadn't changed a thing..hope that helps if anybody going back for a second time and feeling nervous.

The only thing she mentioned this year that she didn't last year was this reverse frog ( see thread above). I asked her to do it and her lower legs flopped out to about 45 degrees. I'm guessing this means she hasn't got amazing available turnout!

Good luck to all the little dancers giving it a go this year xx

• Like 1

ExpatB sounds similar to my daughter, she is a year younger but only 122cm. Hard to tell if that is too short because although she's the shortest in her class she is the youngest in her year.

Thanks for the info Mummy2balletfairies. Is the improv the thing where they have to pretend to be under the sea? Do they have to do it on their knees or can they be on feet? What did the excersise/dance routine involve?

Thanks, it is really good to know what to expect as it is our first time doing anything like this. She only moved to her ballet school in December and two weeks later her teacher put her forward for this! It was quite a surprise!

I am a first time poster but have been lurking for about a year! 🤣 Hi everybody!

I thought with the ‘reverse froggie’ that was to test current useable turnout, rather than regular froggie which tests potential available turnout, is that not right?

My DS auditioned in Newcastle for the first time; he has only been dancing just 18 months so is still very new to everything really. We have no expectations regarding a place at all, but what a fantastic experience! He absolutely loved the audition, he came out sweating and on an absolute high, and by the next morning he was in agony in his thighs from how hard he had pushed to do springs, haha!

Good luck to all the DDs and DSs applying; they are all fantastic! 🤞 

• Like 2

On 14/05/2019 at 12:13, Pas de Quatre said:

In an audition, each member of the panel is allocated certain candidates they will mark on the initial line up where physique and flexibility are checked, it is not that all panel members are looking at all candidates.  So within one centre's audition, afterwards RBS will be comparing the marks allocated, and so it will not be difficult to compare with other centres either. 

Yes, DS said that at the beginning they were told that Sylvia would be assessing even numbered candidates, and Mark the odd numbered ones. So that makes perfect sense! This was at Newcastle, not sure about other centres. 

• Like 1

Hi Bunny! Yes this makes sense to us too as my DD said ‘the man’ asked her to correct something (I think she meant Mark) and she was an odd number. Although there was three on the panel at ours I think? The plot thickens.. 😅 

22 minutes ago, Astrid said:

Hi Bunny! Yes this makes sense to us too as my DD said ‘the man’ asked her to correct something (I think she meant Mark) and she was an odd number. Although there was three on the panel at ours I think? The plot thickens.. 😅 

Hi Astrid! Oooh was there really? I suppose more kids means more staff to assess them doesn’t it.

Im trying not to overanalyse but it is so hard when they’re so desperate for a place isn’t it! 

Hi. Just wanted to say dont worry if you dont get in ja's. The game is not over. My dd was a no for year 4, 5 and 6 plus the easter/summer schools. No wait lists. We worked really hard. She ended up at White Lodge finals with another 52 girls. She was then in recall on the 2nd day. She did not get a place but she did get mds offers at the other 3 schools and is off to one in September! 

• Like 5

Hi Ms Sunshine, oh that’s absolutely amazing, huge congratulations to your daughter! How exciting for you both! Thank you for sharing your experience, it’s definitely helpful! DS is currently dead set on ballet being the right path for him and it’s all he wants to do, so it’s really reassuring to hear stories like your DDs! 

• Like 1

Ms Sunshine, speaking as an outsider this seems quite reasonable. While being a JA will theoretically improve a child’s chances of being noticed for WL because they’re already “known to the school”, the fact that the school will have had up to almost 3 years to observe each of those children means that the school will invariably have had time to form fixed views on each child’s potential for further training be it WL or MAs.

• Like 1

I think we have an understandable focus on RBS- after all, our children are auditioning- and for JA places we’re still very early in our experience of all this. It’s exciting and it’s...well....RBS. A quick glance through this site though shows just how many opportunities there are for our children to do what they love -and only a tiny proportion of that is through RBS. So yes, it will be amazing if they get a place but not getting a RBS place now at this early age really isn’t the end of their opportunities.

That said....good luck everyone and I’m looking forward to the next few weeks of second guessing the ‘criteria’ and waiting for the results with you all ☺️

• Like 2