New ROH website - 2019 and 2022 versions

7 hours ago, alison said:

That's good to hear.

What isn't so good to hear is that the ROH website is no longer storing your credit card details - as I found out to my cost today :(   That was a feature I really appreciated, because it meant that I could buy things online at a moment's notice without having to worry unduly about whether or not I was on insecure WiFi while inputting my card details.  And unfortunately it's happened at a time when I'm trying to pick up odd cheap seats for Romeo & Juliet, so am having to use it quite a lot :(   I'm quite surprised not to have seen an announcement on the website about this (or perhaps it's just somewhere where I haven't seen it?) 

That's not good news, Alison. I really appreciated that feature too.

Have just seen the further posts about this. Strange, because other sites still store card details. But I suppose it's better to err on the side of security. 

Edited by bridiem
Sentences added.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I noticed it is no longer possible to access previous seasons on the ROH  web site, not long ago it was still possible to go as far back as the 2012/13 season and onwards to the present day. When I tried  this morning I got a 404 page not found error.

As the ROH collections database only goes as far as December 2012 this was an added bonus, alas no longer 😞.

I did email the ROH collections team quite a few months ago about the database and was told they knew it was out of date and they would be updating it soon.  Still waiting.

Such a shame as I know I'm not the only one who enjoys looking at past seasons, that this very interesting resource is being ignored. I feel like volunteering to update to update it myself 😊

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Orlandau said:

Today I noticed it is no longer possible to access previous seasons on the ROH  web site, not long ago it was still possible to go as far back as the 2012/13 season and onwards to the present day. When I tried  this morning I got a 404 page not found error.

As the ROH collections database only goes as far as December 2012 this was an added bonus, alas no longer 😞.

I did email the ROH collections team quite a few months ago about the database and was told they knew it was out of date and they would be updating it soon.  Still waiting.

Such a shame as I know I'm not the only one who enjoys looking at past seasons, that this very interesting resource is being ignored. I feel like volunteering to update to update it myself 😊

There is still a way to get there. Here is the 2012 calendar:https://www.roh.org.uk/events/calendar/2012 

To get to the details, click on any of the months, eg January https://www.roh.org.uk/events/calendar/2012/01 and you’ll get the details for that month. Click on any performance to get casting details.

You can use the arrows to navigate to other months or years.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

I too hate the new website, and have emailed ROH to tell them so. The old one whilst less 'flashy' was easy to use. Clear separation of dance/opera/insight etc performances, all on one page requiring minimal scrolling. And why it takes so much effort to find the very handy 'seasons' page which helpfully lays out all opera/ballet for the year by season (which you probably wouldn't know about/be able to find if you weren't already familiar with it) is honestly so confusing. I also asked ROH for the option of the 'old' website to still be available (and parts of it still are in a weird hybrid, for example the 'mixed programmes' page and i you search for a production, the layout results are similar to the old style). 

I thought the whole point of digital accessibility was to minimise clicks and make it as quick and easy for people to find stuff. 

Anyway for those who are interested ROH did get back to me and said:

"Very many thanks for your email about the recent changes to the Royal Opera House's website. I have passed your comments to our Webteam. They are listening to all feedback and will factor your comments into the improvements we want to make in the future."

Whilst it doesn't resolve the problem at least they have responded so customer service hasn't completely gone.

I now resort to searching for specific productions using the search function either on the main page, or on google as I can't be bothered to go via the 'tickets and events' page as it's just so not user friendly! 

Edited by JNC

15 minutes ago, JNC said:

I now resort to searching for specific productions using the search function either on the main page, or on google as I can't be bothered to go via the 'tickets and events' page as it's just so not user friendly

As mentioned elsewhere, you could avoid doing that each time by creating a bookmark to each production page you are interested in.

3 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

As mentioned elsewhere, you could avoid doing that each time by creating a bookmark to each production page you are interested in.

Thanks Richard, I just prefer not to have multiple bookmarks but yes perhaps I'll change my mind if it all gets too annoying! 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2019 at 17:28, Orlandau said:

Pity that BRB doesn't have an online archive.

They do have all their cast sheets on the website going back to March 2017. You need to find search and type in Cast Sheets to get at them. At least, I haven’t found a better way so far. Also the Birmingham Hippodrome Archive has a list of programmes in their collection which goes back to when the company was SWRB but this only seems to be a selection and not complete. Also they don’t always list which ballets were performed and no casts.

https://birminghamhippodromeheritage.com/?s=Birmingham+Royal+ballet&format=Programme

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I realise this may be a problem with my browser, but if I go to the ROH website and select Menu - About - Royal Ballet - Dancers - Sambe (for instance), I then have to click the back button at least 4 times to get back to the Dancers page.

Anyone else get this?

5 minutes ago, Jane S said:

I realise this may be a problem with my browser, but if I go to the ROH website and select Menu - About - Royal Ballet - Dancers - Sambe (for instance), I then have to click the back button at least 4 times to get back to the Dancers page.

Anyone else get this?

Strange ! I don't get that myself (with Chrome). 

30 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Anyone else get this?

Yes, I've been getting it for months. Not just in the About section but in the Tickets area as well. Sometimes it requires 4 clicks & sometimes 8 clicks to go back. It's rather a pain.

I use Firefox but I notice this problem only appears when I'm using a desktop, not on my (Android) tablet.

I haven't particularly noticed it on other sites but will keep an eye open for other occurrences, which would point the finger at Firefox rather than the ROH.

3 hours ago, Jane S said:

Anyone else get this?

Yes, using Firefox (not updated to the new version) on a laptop on Windows 7.  Pretty sure I'm getting this, and it's not just that my taps on the Back button aren't registering.  It's fine on IE11, BTW.

And why are the public barred from commenting on News items? Both announcements about Sambe and Kish are 'closed to comnents' . I can't see what is wrong with people offering their good wishes, and if any inappropriate remarks are made surely moderators can deal with them.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

And why are the public barred from commenting on News items? Both announcements about Sambe and Kish are 'closed to comnents' . I can't see what is wrong with people offering their good wishes, and if any inappropriate remarks are made surely moderators can deal with them.

This increasingly standard  ‘comments closed’ may also have a knock on effect where news items are actually open for comments - there are just 4 webpage comments on the cinema Romeo & Juliet relay.

Seems to me that they just want to put news items on the web site and totally stop any public comment, which I suppose they think should be confined to Facebook or whatever. I get the impression they would really prefer to use the web site purely as a booking tool.

It seems to me that it is not only the Royal Ballet that is becoming ever more reliant on social media.  Not everybody uses social media and IMHO it is not an appropriately professional method for an organisation to present itself on the internet!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

they just want to put news items on the web site 

And sometimes ROH doesn’t bother with a news item - the Annual Report 2017-18, much delayed, was published on the web but without any news item.  Seems very strange to me as most organisations I would have thought would make something of their Annual Reports.

• Like 1

I know this link has been posted before but I was having trouble getting it to work on my pc and then lost it altogether. I emailed the ROH website people and was sent it again and it worked so I just thought I'd share it with everyone as I find it invaluable for booking and just general checking of performances and I've no idea how to find it on the website itself. I was so relieved to get it as I made sure it had been discarded just because it was plain and useful and not trendy and attractive at all.

http://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2019-20

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

I know this link has been posted before but I was having trouble getting it to work on my pc and then lost it altogether. I emailed the ROH website people and was sent it again and it worked so I just thought I'd share it with everyone as I find it invaluable for booking and just general checking of performances and I've no idea how to find it on the website itself. I was so relieved to get it as I made sure it had been discarded just because it was plain and useful and not trendy and attractive at all.

http://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2019-20

Yes I agree it's probably the most useful link on the site. I hardly ever bother with anything else.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Royal Opera House’s ‘News’ is being ‘upgraded’.  Currently I find I can’t access anything other than the handful of very recent news teams appearing on the front page.  And for these items there’s hardly any information eg only 9 tweets for ‘what did you think of Romeo and Juliet in the cinema’ - I’m pretty sure this news item had 50 comments when I last looked?  There used to be a wealth of items which were readily accessible but I can’t find these at the moment.

https://www.roh.org.uk/news

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/your-reaction-what-did-you-think-of-the-royal-ballets-romeo-and-juliet-live-in-cinemas

Commenting simply as a website user I find it hard to believe that what is going on is sensible.  Surely any upgrade should be planned, tested, and problems sorted before being launched?  We had a functioning webpage giving full access to a treasure trove of items built up over many years.  Now we have one home page with access to pretty limited information on 6 items, albeit in the new Open Up website style which for balance I should say I like.  But yet again it appears functionality is a casualty of design style and has been discarded.  

I’d be delighted if I’ve missed something and my inability to access information is simply down to my own ineptitude.

• Like 4

it seems to.me to really just be a calendar of events and advertising goods and drink. It used to show so much of interest - I always enjoyed reading comments about performances but it seems now that these are prohibited, unless it's to comment on  a screening. Other major sites, e.g. National Theatre, RSC, have a wealth of information on them, I can't see why 'upgrade'  seems to equate with minimalism. The information that serious ballet and opera goers want is not available on the social media sites, so where is it to.be found?

• Like 7

Today is the first day of Friends+ booking. As reported elsewhere on the Forum, the system crashed just before 9am. By 9.10 obscure error messages about the cache were appearing; 9.20 the ROH put up a general warning that no one can buy tickets at the moment. 

Half an hour in to this season’s booking period and everything has frozen. Is this in any way acceptable? Who is (finally) going to be fired or will the masons of Bow Street keep on protecting the status quo? Just asking. 

• Like 5

I am totally confused. I understood, from information sent with my Friends mailing and from information on the web site that packages were only available for top two price levels of stalls circle. I looked today and have bought the extreme side stalls circle without any problems. Certainly not the top two prices. This doesn't seem to apply to opera. Have I misunderstood something? The web site was,definitely playing up and kept telling me I hadn't booked enough tickets.

• Like 1

I think the information on the website has not been updated (possibly for some time).  I had always thought Orchestra Stalls packages were the two highest priced tickets in the centre block, not sides.  This has clearly changed and the whole of the Stalls/Stalls Circle have been included in packages, certainly for total ballet packages.  I’m not sure when the change was made.  I asked Box Office staff about what seats were included in the forthcoming packages on a number of occasions prior to booking opening and staff were offering their apologies and having to say that the information was not available - not a good reflection on management putting front line staff in such an invidious position.  It was only when booking opened that I could see what seats were available.  Availability we now see is much broader than the description on the website.  And a package is not restricted to seats in the same price category - Sleeping Beauty side seats are not charged at the highest price as for the three other ballets.  My understanding is that the only stipulation is to select a performance of each ballet for a total ballet package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

I am totally confused. I understood, from information sent with my Friends mailing and from information on the web site that packages were only available for top two price levels of stalls circle. I looked today and have bought the extreme side stalls circle without any problems. Certainly not the top two prices. This doesn't seem to apply to opera. Have I misunderstood something? The web site was,definitely playing up and kept telling me I hadn't booked enough tickets.

As I suggested before, although the ROH say "Our packages will usually contain Orchestra Stalls Rows C-W Centre, Stalls Circle Rows A-C Centre and Amphitheatre Rows B–F Centre and B–E Sides" , by "contain" they seem to mean "include". In any event, having purchased packages today,  I have been pleased to see  a good range of seating  available. 

As far as I can see, this does also apply to opera.