TIGHTS Colour, Ballet pink vs theatrical pink

Bella

the right colour is the colour the  choreographer / director / ballet master wants !  

as for flattering  that will depend on the  build  and colouring of ones legs ,   as  identical pairs of tights  from the same batch of the same model will look different on milk bottle white  celtic  legs vs   typical ' white person' colouring  vs  a  tending to the mediterrean  colouring  vs the legs of a Dancer who is a PoC... 

• Like 1

The colour of tights ideally should match the colour of shoes in order to make one long, continuous leg line. Some shoes tend to be a very peachy colour and others more a baby pink,  in fact every variation of ballet pink exists, and I swear we have tried them all!  It’s a nightmare trying to match them together. Russian Pointe ballet tights are a nice, subtle, traditional colour... but then it would depend on your shoes.

• Like 3

And ... as far as i can tell, no matter what you wash them with, all tights eventually merge into the same greyish purplish tint! 

( except a random pair, that we have no idea where we got them, or what make they are, that have stubbornly stayed a very yellowy pink colour !!!!  😂 )

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

And ... as far as i can tell, no matter what you wash them with, all tights eventually merge into the same greyish purplish tint! 

there  was a previous discussion  where ' grink' ness came up  and  tricks to facilitate ( i.e de pin)   or  correct  (mole pink) it 

My dd's uniform last year was navy leotard plus 'pink' tights plus coin operated school washing machine . This positively encouraged the practice of shoving it all in with a colour catcher, and at a recent sharing of work it was remarkable to see how many different shades of grey tights they had managed to achieve. In fact, my dd said that they did not trust anyone wearing pink tights because they probably had not washed them.....

It is a sad fact that we have tried many pairs (the worst being some sort of salmon pink on DD's lily-white legs). As fast as we found a 'good' shade, her teacher suggested a new brand of pointe shoes, which invariably didn't match. We have tan ballet flats and tights for her neo-classical solo; pale pink for her Freeds; and a darker pink for her Capezio ballet flats. She always knows which pair she needs and I just make sure I keep the drawer stocked. (And always pack two new pairs for competitions)

• 7 months later...

Have you checked the fingernails and toenails, and the putting-on method?! 

We found the Dance Line ones lasted quite well (while I was buying them a few years ago) - once dd was at vocational school and started buying them herself, I don't know what make she was using. Maybe keep a bottle of clear nail varnish in her dance bag and dab a spot on the minute a little snag starts (even while being worn), that helps prevent them running too much.

for exams and comps we match tights and shoes  which can be fun at times , for class its anything that's in the drawer iam afraid. We like energetics classic convertible  tight  with a gusset but just found bloch tights which she says feel really nice on and match her class ballet flats ..... 

So far Silky doing well for value, holding colour (well - when home not school washed at least!) & lasting well.... very rarely ladder but toes do go through after several wears...

will look out for Tebdu brand to try too now...

Out of interest, are there Tights out there that have no central seam in tummy area as that so often shows as unsightly bulging line under leotards - especially spoilling the  look when wearing pale colours... is it even possible to create seamless Tights I wonder???? 

Our school just requires pink...so I order non branded random convertible tights in bulk from China (10 for price of 2 in UK) and then ship them to my DD. For daily practice they are perfect and they do the job for performances she has Capezio seamless tights (pink). 

Edited by FlexyNexy
  • Like 1

Just when you think you’ve conquered the right shade of tights for an upcoming ballet exam all good planning can go out the window. My darling DD last summer had an incredible tan. (Study leave) unfortunately her bikini leg line was different to her leotard leg line. It looked like she had white underwear showing! A complete faux pas in the world of exams  😂😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

So far Silky doing well for value, holding colour (well - when home not school washed at least!) & lasting well.... very rarely ladder but toes do go through after several wears...

will look out for Tebdu brand to try too now...

Out of interest, are there Tights out there that have no central seam in tummy area as that so often shows as unsightly bulging line under leotards - especially spoilling the  look when wearing pale colours... is it even possible to create seamless Tights I wonder???? 

Hi Peanut,
'SILKY' BRAND 80 DENIER THEATRICAL PINK ULTIMATE SEAMLESS FOOTED BALLET DANCE TIGHTS don't have tummy or bum seam. 

Balletbean - we were in stitches at 5am this morning for this reason! I had fake tanned DD’s legs and body etc for her performances last night ready for today to find she had worn bigger knickers than normal and she now has a white line under her tights! At least she saw the funny side at 5am this morning!! Thongs I think in future!!!!! Xx

And yes Capezio all the way! Dd won’t wear anything else pink tights wise, lovely colour and fit and more wear out than hole or ladder!!! 

• Like 1

Just wanted to add that I think a lot of laddering is caused by the girls yanking the convertible part over the feet/up their legs. It seems to create weak spots. My DD also wanted her pointe shoe backs to be on bare skin to help avoid them slipping off her heels, so used to stretch the hole of the convertible part up the back of her foot. We don't usually see how roughly the tights get treated, but I bet if they had to buy their own they'd be more careful!