Royal Ballet Swan Lake rehearsals live feed this Thursday

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Further to my previous post, I have just checked out the music and it is part of No19 in the full score Act III pas de six (andante con moto). This item is for the 6 potential brides, each one having her own variation.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sim said:

Have just watched it and am very impressed.  I think I may finally be ready to forgive Liam for Frankenstein.

if you can bear to watch it the Frankenstein Insight on You Tube shows him very much. as an active participant. Some pretty nifty partnering skills shown by him!

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Royal Ballet Swan Lake rehearsals live feed this Thursday
18 hours ago, Blossom said:

I loved Scarlett’s passion for the history, the music, the storytelling

18 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I share Mary's view about Liam Scarlett after hearing him speak so fervently about his love and respect for this ballet.

That was obvious from his Frankenstein insight, too.  At the time, I commented that I got more from his performance in the insight evening than I did from any of the dancers onstage in the actual performances.  I hope that won't be the situation this time around.

• Like 1

Before the Insight started last night, the audience in the Clore was reminded about the Insight on the 15th May which, among other things, would feature Kevin O'Hare rehearsing William Bracewell for Swan Lake. There are still tickets available: https://www.roh.org.uk/events/37559/tickets?q=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&p=2989dbf9-9a94-4647-994f-6d9f3094cd27&ts=1526055230&c=rohuk&e=20180511fridayrush&rt=AfterEvent&h=fe2998b8d66b991b511f8952cc9633e0

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Okay, ignorance showing here and I haven't seen the Insight yet but....why has Swan Lake got a Spanish Dance?

Because that's what goes best with the Spanish music segment 😄

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Okay, ignorance showing here and I haven't seen the Insight yet but....why has Swan Lake got a Spanish Dance?

Because one of the princesses, attending as a potential bride for the prince, is Spanish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MargaretN7 said:

Because one of the princesses, attending as a potential bride for the prince, is Spanish.

Is she? You normally have six princesses, they tend to be dressed the same and they are the ones that get looked up and down by the prince....and you have four or sometimes five national dances at the ball, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Italian and Russian.

The last Swan Lake I saw had no princesses and the prince checked out the five lead females from the national dances instead.

29 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Is she? You normally have six princesses, they tend to be dressed the same and they are the ones that get looked up and down by the prince....and you have four or sometimes five national dances at the ball, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Italian and Russian.

The last Swan Lake I saw had no princesses and the prince checked out the five lead females from the national dances instead.

its amongst the changes Liam doing to make it all more logical. As John McFarlane said - six princesses turning up at a ball all with the same dress and accessories???

30 minutes ago, Rob S said:

It's one of those things that varies between productions: the first time I saw a hitherto-unknown-to-me Osipova was as an electrifying Spanish bride at the Bolshoi in 2005. I still have the cast sheet, annotated with a simple "Wow!"

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

its amongst the changes Liam doing to make it all more logical. As John McFarlane said - six princesses turning up at a ball all with the same dress and accessories???

I hope they address the issue of why Rothbart a) is invited to the ball and b) why he gets to sit so close to the queen. I presume the Act 3 set design will include a lot more seating as currently there only seems to be a throne

http://www.roh.org.uk/insights/insights-swan-lake-and-me

and there are 3 further Insights 

In these events, dancers of The Royal Ballet talk about the challenges of taking on some of ballet's most iconic and demanding roles, and how they prepare for a performance.

I just wish ROH would indicate which dancers will talk on which date!

as they will be talking about dancing  "...most iconic and demanding roles..." I guess they will be the Odettes/Odiles and the Prince Siegfrieds, perhaps also those dancing Benno and Rothbart.

Edited by Xandra Newman
Spelling

6 hours ago, Sim said:

I love how the Bolshoi's version has the princesses as the leads in the national dances.  It makes so much sense!

Grigorovich's production for the Bolshoi is often much-maligned, but this aspect of it is spot-on.

And Liam Scarlett has admitted that his early preparations involved watching virtually every version of Swan Lake known to man!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

if you can bear to watch it the Frankenstein Insight on You Tube shows him very much. as an active participant. Some pretty nifty partnering skills shown by him!

I quite agree ninamargaret (although I don't need much encouragement to watch Frankenstein and am keen to see its revival with whatever tweakings are made).  I thought Liam Scarlett incredibly expressive when demonstrating what he wanted from his various Frankenstein characters.  I've very much enjoyed seeing him when dancing in his earlier career and am pleased that some of his performances are on DVD.  I shall look forward to catching up on this Swan Lake Insight later, particularly in light of all the favourable comments.

On 11/05/2018 at 18:58, Lizbie1 said:

It's one of those things that varies between productions: the first time I saw a hitherto-unknown-to-me Osipova was as an electrifying Spanish bride at the Bolshoi in 2005. I still have the cast sheet, annotated with a simple "Wow!"

My goodness me.  Wow indeed!

On 11/05/2018 at 21:05, Xandra Newman said:

http://www.roh.org.uk/insights/insights-swan-lake-and-me

and there are 3 further Insights 

In these events, dancers of The Royal Ballet talk about the challenges of taking on some of ballet's most iconic and demanding roles, and how they prepare for a performance.

I just wish ROH would indicate which dancers will talk on which date!

Yes indeed - especially as you could only buy two out of the three, so I'm psyching myself up not to be too gutted if my fave dancer is at the one I'm not!

15 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Yes indeed - especially as you could only buy two out of the three, so I'm psyching myself up not to be too gutted if my fave dancer is at the one I'm not!

And there’s still a two tickets per person limit across these 3 insights.

At the live feed Insight last week, the person who told us to switch off our phones also mentioned that Kevin O'Hare would be coaching William Bracewell in a Swan Lake solo tonight. Where was everyone? The Clore was half empty but both the discussion on creating dance (with O'Hare, Arthur Pita and  Kate Flatt) and the coaching session were very interesting - and Bracewell's dancing was superb (in a solo for Siegfried which will bridge Acts 1 and 2). So pleased to have a ticket to see him.

• Like 4