Audition disaster!

margarite

DD has just had her first Lower School audition today at Hammond. She woke up with a runny nose and sore throat, and even though she had a fantastic day, burst into tears after I collected her. She's distraught as she feels she messed up most of the dance audition. In the ballet she couldn't spot properly in turns as her nose was running and she fluffed some basic steps😔. In the modern section she froze and forgot a sequence of steps too.

She's used to auditions, and has had both positive and negative outcomes, and taken the 'nos' well, but I think this is the first time she's felt she's not done her best. I've never seen her like this, she's heartbroken. 

The school and teachers seemed so lovely which made it worse.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you x

• Like 2

Ah bless her!  Don’t forget they are looking for potential, mostly physical Potential at that age and especially in the first audition. Whether she has good turnout, lovely feet and legs and beautiful posture will be seen, whether she has a runny nose or not. 

Fingers crossed she gets what she wants. 

• Like 5

I’m sure the experienced staff will see through the poorliness and nerves. She won’t be the first to be in this position. If it’s not positive news, there would be no harm in speaking to them to explain and asking if your dd could have another go in the new year. Good luck - keep us posted. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, alison said:

Yes, quality tends to shine through regardless.  Lots of people come out of exams, auditions, job interviews, all sorts of things, feeling they haven't done themselves justice, and are often pleasantly surprised.

where's @sophie_rebecca  when you need her , she was convinced she'd failed her IF   , she's posted about it on  here  and on her fb  page

• Like 1

My youngest dd had a violent tummy bug the day before her Grade V and her partner had a streaming cold. They were both limp rags before the exam in the changing room yet they refused to give up and they both did well. 

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing your stories, so brilliant so many have succeeded despite illness. One moment of light relief from yesterday that I keep giggling about: when asked by the physio if she'd ever had any serious injuries, DD replied that she'd sprained her little  finger once... 😀 Not sure that's what the physio was expecting to hear!

• Like 10

As others have said. At an audition they are looking at potential. They will also acknowledge the fact that a child attended no matter how ill she felt or looked. When my eldest was at MT college she struggled some days to attend because of a viral infection. But she did and the teachers acknowledged her spirit and dedication which is a skill required in the business. They were the ones that eventually sent her home for a few days rest and a suitable not was added to her file for future reference. 

Take comfort that your DD attended and praise her for finding the inner strength for never giving up.   It’s a skill many do not possess. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, margarite said:

Well, I think all your positive stories and vibes worked as she's been offered a place!!

fabulous news ! 

hopefully the   stars will align and tides  do their thing   funding  wise etc 

• Like 1