I'll be off then....

glowlight

Next week marks the second anniversary of my dd's graduation from Northern Ballet School, and I promised myself that this was the time for me to dip out from the Balletco forum.

This will be hard. I have to confess a certain addiction to this site, and I will really miss hearing about how your dd's and ds's are doing, but as time goes on my experiences become less relevant to you and it is really time for me to move on.

Thankyou all for being wonderful virtual friends...and remember ... it's about the journey.

• Like 8

Glowlight, I have very much appreciated your wise and sensible comments as an experienced "ballet parent" on this forum, and the old one! You could wean off gradually as opposed to going completely cold turkey!

• Like 3

Glowlight, we need people like you because your dd has been through the journey of schools and is now onto a professional career. Because you and your dd have been through all this you are able to give some fantastic tips and advice. There arent many people on the forum who can talk about what it is like when the student finishes vocational school and starts the audition process for companies, what companies are looking for or what it is like in the big world away from the schools. Not many people can tell you how the students manages to maintain dance training when the dancer is unemployed. In summary we still need you Glowlight so please dont go just yet, wait another few years yet.

• Like 11

Hmm, I have to say I can't see how your comments and experience will ever become irrelevant. We are all at different stages in our DKs journeys and once a parent always a parent til you are carried out feet first I suspect. So knowing how the children's careers progress as they become adults is a great help to those of us at an earlier stage in the time line! At the moment we have people posting with children any age from 8 to 18- why should post-18 (pardon the pun) be any less relevant? And also we would love to hear about your DDs successes as time goes on!!!

(Though perhaps you have had enough of anxting about it- I can see how that might be the case!!!)

Edited by CeliB
  • Like 3

Hope you don't go but in case you do, just wanted to say thanks for all the advice you have given me for my DD. It really helped us this past year in particular and even though my DD is not following your DD to Northern Ballet, she is happy to be starting at vocational school this september. Thanks again - look in on us from time to time.

Have to agree with all of the above - its the experience of those who have 'lived' the system and survived in some shape for form which provides the most helpful advise. Please dont feel this forum is only for those with children still in training - life is a constant training ground for us all!

Your input will always be appreciated :-)

• Like 2

You would be very very much missed if you left Glowlight. :-(

I started out on the old forum when my dd was 7 or so, and the advice and support I've always received from you and other posters with children a few years ahead of mine has been an absolute Godsend. Now my dd is 13, I still need the input from those more experienced than me, just as much as ever. Please stay; I can't imagine you'll ever be irrelevant!

Spanner x

• Like 1

You need to stay here :) my little one is 8 and I need all the help and advice I can get ????I have no one that I can talk to at home about ballet and the stresses and enjoyment!! It's so good here to listen to all that happens to all your children and what I might have to expect. Your help and advice is a godsend ❤

It is sad that you have made this decision, however it sounds as though you havent taken this decision lightly and as I echo everyone elses comments I would like to wish your DD's career good luck and success in everything she does. Thank you for all your comments and advice it has been much appreciated!!

Ax

I must admit I post very little now. It is 3 years since Martin graduated but lately there have been posts which have been relevant. I have had lovely pm's too for any info i've been able to give. So don't go. I can't offer any help re schools now but re auditioning, contracts, living abroad and the sheer hard slog of being a professional dancer I can. I think people are also very interested in "post training" news and help.

Also it is nice to hear of those who are dancing for a living. Hbrew's son, Julie W's (just about to:-)) . it is so good to hear that this long, hard, dream can succeed.

Next weekend I'm off to see Martin as the rooster in La Fille in Munich. I'm proud of him and thankful to everyone for their help here. So Glowlight stay:-) x

• Like 11

Please don`t go,Glowlight. I don`t have a child who dances,yet i still come on this forum everyday,and look forward to doing so. There are so many familiar names to me,and you are one of them. Even though i have never met any of you,and never will,it gives me a lovely feeling hearing everyone`s news and opinions,especially on the Doing Dance forum,which is the main one i look at. Glowlight,Tulip,Julie W, and so many others.You are all a daily part of my life now.

• Like 5

Glowlight, we are not going to let you go. We will all private mail you so that you will have to come and speak to us ha ha. There is definately a gap on the forum for the 'What happens next', 'What did happen', and how some situations were resolved. So you are still very much needed, more so than ever really.

• Like 2

I add my agreement to all that have gone before. This forum is about doing dance (not that I do any at all) - and I reckon you will still have an important things to offer about doing dance.

Edited by Stirrups36
  • Like 2