Royal Ballet: The Two Pigeons, Monotones I & II, November 2015 & Rhapsody January 2016

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very impressed by the matinee today.

Hay/Hayward very musical and lyrical. Also, a very well matched couple who look lovely together. For me, they lacked the edge, the sharp definition,  I like to see in Rhapsody and which was provided by McRae so spectacularly-but his performance could hardly be equalled by anyone in the company. Hay's jumps and spins were  not always quite making it today, I felt.

However, it is such a fiendishly hard piece and he was  very musical, very enjoyable; they gave us  a moving pas de deux.

Ball and Stix-Brunell were the best couple in Pigeons in my view, they made it believeable and danced with real emotion. She really showed the change of emotions/mood in Act 1 which none of the others succeeded in doing. In the wonderful last pas de deux she created beautiful shapes- and I noticed lots more interesting use of repeated motifs throughout the ballet- I echo all those saying Please bring it back soon.

It is going to be wonderful to watch Ball develop as a dancer.

(He didn't have the same pigeon handling skills as Muntagirov but who does?- really in his case if the ballet doesn't work out* he has a future in poultry.

* as if

• Like 7

Have been mulling over the Hayward/Hay partnership in Rhapsody. The only comment I'd make is that it was safe, whereas the bravura nature of this particular piece is that it's both Ashtonian and not. Ballerina yes, male sort of no. So I liked (for I was there!) the original contrast of temperament/background/training of Collier and Barishnykov and Osipova and Macrae. So in a perversely (to some) ideal world, I'd have loved to see Hayward with Polunin (he danced it dangerously recently) and Hay with someone older such as Nuñez. I feel there needs to be a contrast, a dangerous edge in the partnership. But what a ballet - I loved in it 1980 and love it now.

• Like 5

I felt that the run of Rhapsody and Two Pigeons really ended on a high this afternoon.

Francesca Hayward was glorious in Rhapsody and James Hay seemed both more confident and more relaxed in his face than at his first performance. I felt that both of these dancers drew me into the piece whereas the presentation from Osipova and McRae felt as if they were pushing me away.

I too loved the pairing of Matthew Ball and Beatriz Stix Brunell in 2Ps. She pitched it 'just right' and he was even more moving than he had been last week. He is a major talent.

Finally, a big 'thank you' to all the supporting casts who have added so much to everyone's enjoyment.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 9

Have been mulling over the Hayward/Hay partnership in Rhapsody. The only comment I'd make is that it was safe, whereas the bravura nature of this particular piece is that it's both Ashtonian and not. Ballerina yes, male sort of no. So I liked (for I was there!) the original contrast of temperament/background/training of Collier and Barishnykov and Osipova and Macrae. So in a perversely (to some) ideal world, I'd have loved to see Hayward with Polunin (he danced it dangerously recently) and Hay with someone older such as Nuñez. I feel there needs to be a contrast, a dangerous edge in the partnership. But what a ballet - I loved in it 1980 and love it now.

Interesting - though I'd have gone for Francesca Hayward and Steven McRae as the 'ultimate' couple from this run of Rhapsody, from what I've seen. Just my own thoughts I hasten to add, and what purely caught my own eye. Others may disagree for whatever reason, probably more valid than my own. Just I would have loved to photograph them together. Steven always a joy to photograph as he gives so much whenever on stage, and Francesca just hits those musically Ashton spots so well.

• Like 6

Just a quick post to say that I enjoyed today's matinee immensely. Unfortunately, I was unable to see the other Rhapsody casts but I've seen all RB casts since 2004 and the Morera/Polunin cast has been indelibly burned into my memory but what Francesca did today was wonderful!! A sumptuous performance of one my favourite ballets and up there with one of my favourite dancers, Morera. To communicate the joy of dancing so seemingly effortlessly and have that great gift of musicality so much so that it looks like the music is being piped through your bones... Wow! I wish I'd seen Osipova and McRae but I've seen McRae before dance this piece before.. hopefully James will be able to have more opportunities to do this piece....

Edited by Jamdancer
  • Like 1

On the ROH website where they've announced the dvd a lot of people (including me) have asked if Francesca's performance can also be included as it was filmed. I wonder if other forum members would be willing to add their support if they agree? It may end up like a Government online survey where if enough people sign up they may at least think about the proposal. Even if it doesn't end up on this dvd they may consider it as an 'extra' for a future one if enough people want it or even release it on their website or YouTube.

• Like 5

After watching Thursday's Pigeons cast, I felt like saying that if the RB were going to keep fielding that cast - the Takada/Hay one - I'd happily watch 2Ps over and over.  And I'd had a *really* lousy day that day, and only just made the performance.  Takada to me seemed somehow more "French" than other casts I'd seen, and I was impressed not only with Hay's performance, but with his dramatic commitment to the whole thing - I think I could quite happily have focused the opera glasses on him throughout just to see how he was reacting to everything on stage.  Yet, despite some great individual performances, this afternoon's matinee somehow didn't quite do it for me - perhaps it was my relative distance from the stage which didn't help, or perhaps I'm just Pigeon-ed out.  I did like Beatriz Stix-Brunell's portrayal of the Girl, though.

• Like 3

I thought that yesterday's matinee was a sublime way to end the run. I thought that Hay and Hayward had really settled into their roles, and brought something much deeper than just the steps to the performance. What I love about them is that everything is so clear: every step, every movement of the head, every flick of the wrist...and they take their time; nothing goes to waste by favouring speed over clarity. Their pdd was very moving; I must admit to being a bit choked up by the end of it, and my daughter, seeing them for the first time, said that if she'd let herself go she'd have been blubbing too! Yes, I agree it would have been interesting to 'mix and match' the couples, but somehow I just love how these two look together. I love how they look at each other and not the audience. I love the natural expression of joy on Hay's face, and how he looks at his ballerina. OK...as I said above, he can't "do a McRae" (who can?!), but he brings natural joy to the role, channeled through his dancing, and for me that's what counts.

Sadly this was my only viewing of Ball/Stix-Brunell in 2P. More's the pity, if yesterday is anything to go by. I thought that they were both superb; they both understood their roles so well, and they both had the right contrast of comedy and pathos to make it really work. All of Stix-Brunell's little impetuous touches in Act 1 made her abject sadness so believable in Act 2. Matthew Ball is developing into such a wonderful dance actor already. His is a rare talent and from what I've seen so far he will be equally at home in the danseur noble roles and the MacMillan and other dramatic roles, and I truly hope that his career is nurtured and allowed to develop and flourish. He got it just right yesterday, and every expression on his face, every move that he makes, tells the audience exactly what is going on in his head and in his heart. Once again, when that dove flew onto the chair at the end of a beautifully danced final pdd, daughter and I were a bit of a mess...

I did keep wondering, as I watched it, what Matthew and Yasmine Naghdi would have been like together. I do understand that everyone needs to be given chances, and giving Beatriz a go at this role was totally justified and a great decision because her performance was wonderful, but it would have been the perfect opportunity for the Naghdi/Ball partnership to go up a notch. I do hope they are given more roles together next season. Likewise Yuhui/Campbell: if there are natural partnerships developing in the company, Mr O'Hare, please don't scupper them.

A mention for Claire Calvert who was a fiery and technically excellent Gypsy Girl. I have never seen her dance like this before, and was deeply impressed. Yet another dancer flying the flag for the future of the RB. Her Gypsy Lover, Nicol Edmonds, was doing his best to channel Keith Richards (although I'm not sure this was a conscious effort!) and gave a good account of the role.

Finally, a mention for all the stalwarts who have danced in just about every show in the run: the 12 supporting dancers in Rhapsody, and the friends and gypsies in 2P. They managed to make each performance look fresh and alive, and I salute them all for their commitment and dedication.

• Like 17

I thought that the run of Rhapsody Two Pigeons mixed bill ended on a high note. Both ballets were beautifully danced. Hay and Hayward dance Rhapsody stylishly and elegantly their performances are nuanced rather than danced on a single note and they are both exceptionally musical dancers. They make it look easy which is how it should be. I know that Baryshnikov was, at the time that this ballet was created, the most technically accomplished dancer in the world but his dancing was not as emphatic as McRae who performs a bit like a singer who has all the notes but then insists on singing everything fortissimo. Can belto rather than bel canto. Baryshnikov just seemed to dance the choreography which is Cecchetti at its most rigorous with ease and elegance hence the "t was nothing"shrug at the end.

As for Pigeons Stix Brunell was a delightful Young Girl her performance was pitch perfect,with her as with Ball,the dancing was the acting and the acting was the dancing. Both Ball and Stix Brunell are clearly dancers to look out for when it comes to booking. I just hope that Mr.O 'Hare saw some of their performance and puts Beatriz on his list of dancers who need to be given roles. Calvert's Gypsy is one of the best things that I have seen her do.

The company seems to be in fine form so now is the time for more real ballets to give the young dancers in the corps who have not had the chance to take on roles the opportunity to show what they can do. Coppelia a few more early Ashton ballets MacMillan's Solitaire and perhaps his Four Seasons are called for rather than MacGregor at this point. It will be interesting to see what is programmed for next season. I hope that the AD has been seeking Sir Peter's wise counsel about how to set systems in place which ensure that the company's youngest dancers are given their chance to gain experience from performing so that the company grows its own rather than acquiring its leading dancers from elsewhere.Given the talent in the junior ranks he has the opportunity to create and maintain a self sustaining company and it only needs a slight shift in repertory to achieve it.

As for next season's repertory I should be pleased to see Daphnis and Chloe revived as the AD has at least three young casts none of which would include a Principal dancer who would be tremendous in it.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 9

Re the corps work in Rhapsody - wonderful in both performances I saw, so good in fact on the matinee that they received spontaneous applause after their first "number". They were exceptional- I never had such a buzz before and showed how great that particular group was.

• Like 7

They were all superb, I really enjoyed the Matinee. Re. the "Corps" in Rhapsody: they are in fact all soloists and the six females and males were magnificent!

I agree with Sim, Ball/Brunell were lovely in Two Pigeons but I kept wondering how the Ball/Naghdi partnership would have looked like.  The company right now has several glorious young dancers and they all need to be nurtured of course. Let's hope there is more in store next Season for Ball/Naghdi to develop their partnership. 

More and more I find myself booking tickets to see the superb younger dancers instead of selecting a performance based on which Principal is dancing. I greatly enjoy following the career of the younger soloists and several first artists; it's rather dull at the top (with a few exceptions of course).

• Like 6

They were all superb, I really enjoyed the Matinee. Re. the "Corps" in Rhapsody: they are in fact all soloists and the six females and males were magnificent!

I'm in full agreement with you about the younger dancers in the company.  I was, however,  surprised when I read what you wrote about the corps in yesterday's Rhapsody  as it didn’t accord with my memory. I, therefore, checked the ROH website.

http://www.roh.org.uk/about/the-royal-ballet/dancers

I agree that they all danced as if they were Soloists but it seems that Mayara Magri and Kevin Emerton are, currently,  both First Artists and Benjamin Ella is still an Artist.

• Like 1

While I hadn’t planned to see Rhapsody more than once this season from within the Royal Opera House, I couldn’t resist going for a return ticket for yesterday’s matinee. Such fluidity, musicality, joy and warmth exuding with every step from Francesca Hayward and James Hay, such wonderful smiles. They were so much in tune, in sync; pairing either of them with someone who focusses more on the bravura aspects of the choreography would, in my eyes, lead to a loss of some of the magic. I can't wait to see them in The Winter's Tale.

Also, following the live cinema relay that often focussed on just one dancer, it was a pleasure to see the full cast in one view, the patterns in movement, the excellent work by the supporting couples.

• Like 2

I thought that yesterday's matinee was a sublime way to end the run. 

A mention for Claire Calvert who was a fiery and technically excellent Gypsy Girl.  I have never seen her dance like this before, and was deeply impressed.  Yet another dancer flying the flag for the future of the RB.  Her Gypsy Boy, Nicol Edmonds, was doing his best to channel Keith Richards (although I'm not sure this was a conscious effort!) and gave a good account of the role.  

Just to be annoyingly pedantic - Nicol played A Gypsy Girl's lover; 'A Gypsy Boy' (in yellow) was Luca Acri  :-)

Claire certainly shake, rattle, and rolled though!

• Like 3

...A mention for Claire Calvert who was a fiery and technically excellent Gypsy Girl.  I have never seen her dance like this before, and was deeply impressed...

...Calvert's Gypsy is one of the best things that I have seen her do...

Totally agree with this. Whenever she was on stage I could not stop watching Claire Calvert. And to my shame I had to check the cast list at the interval to remind myself who she was (I blame that crazy Gypsy-Girl hair)!

• Like 5

After watching Thursday's Pigeons cast, I felt like saying that if the RB were going to keep fielding that cast - the Takada/Hay one - I'd happily watch 2Ps over and over.  And I'd had a *really* lousy day that day, and only just made the performance.  Takada to me seemed somehow more "French" than other casts I'd seen, and I was impressed not only with Hay's performance, but with his dramatic commitment to the whole thing - I think I could quite happily have focused the opera glasses on him throughout just to see how he was reacting to everything on stage.  Yet, despite some great individual performances, this afternoon's matinee somehow didn't quite do it for me - perhaps it was my relative distance from the stage which didn't help, or perhaps I'm just Pigeon-ed out.  I did like Beatriz Stix-Brunell's portrayal of the Girl, though.

While I wasn't keen on Two Pigeons, I actually saw it three times as I wanted to watch Monotones and Rhapsody. From the different casts for The Young Man, the performance that I enjoyed most was that of James Hay. I was impressed by the intensity of his acting and in particular by the expressive use of his eyes.

• Like 2

Just to be annoyingly pedantic - Nicol played A Gypsy Girl's lover; 'A Gypsy Boy' (in yellow) was Luca Acri  :-)

Claire certainly shake, rattle, and rolled though!

Yes, of course I meant her lover....but at my age everyone under the age of 50 is a boy!!   :)  Thanks for clarifying, Dave, I have corrected it.    :)

• Like 3

Totally agree with this. Whenever she was on stage I could not stop watching Claire Calvert. And to my shame I had to check the cast list at the interval to remind myself who she was (I blame that crazy Gypsy-Girl hair)!

With that big jump and superbly sharp footwork, it could only have been Claire.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see which Ashton ballets have been selected for 16/17. Since the program comes out in March (?) I reckon it's all done 'n dusted. Perhaps the "Two Pigeons" effect might not hit until 17/18. My money would be probably on Sylvia as an Osipova vehicle, but possibly Daphnis and Chloe as the timing's right - original costume revival too. And I think Month will re-appear as it was such a success. Symphonic will be 50 too so...

It will be interesting to see which Ashton ballets have been selected for 16/17. Since the program comes out in March (?) I reckon it's all done 'n dusted. 

A recent update on the 'Open Up' project contained the following:

"We’ll be announcing our 2016/17 Season in April and will include a mix of the great classics, heritage works, new productions, new commissions and, as ever, extraordinary artists, so look out for the new Season information." (my highlighting)

I suppose we'll have to be patient till then.  Not easy!

• Like 1

I was at the matinee yesterday and was just swept away by the whole performance.

I had particularly enjoyed Francesca Hayward in Rhapsody when I saw the matinee two weeks ago but somehow, for me, yesterday afternoon took Rhapsody to another level.  All the cast were terrific and I thought James Hay was just glorious.  He and Francesca moved me to tears in that beautiful duet.  I have come to the conclusion that I prefer their quieter interpretation.  Francesca, in particular, made the steps look so easy and effortless.  Basically Rhapsody was a total joy yesterday!

My main reason for getting a last minute ticket yesterday was to see fellow-Scouser Matthew Ball in Two Pigeons.  Goodness me what a terrific performance and wonderful cast it was.  Beatriz Stix-Brunell was a joy to watch as the Young Girl; she looked rather sassy and impetuous in her interpretation in Act 1 which made her grief at the start of Act 2 all the more believable.  Matthew Ball showed what a very special talent he has.  He was an intense Young Man in Act 1 and so utterly full of remorse when he came home that my heart bled for him.  I loved Claire Calvert as the gypsy.  Yet again I was reduced to a pile of mush.

I must say as a non-regular RB-goer, I have mostly seen younger company members in my last few visits and oh boy are they proving that the RB is chock full of young talent worth seeing!  I do hope all the youngsters are nurtured because they are the stars, for me, not of the future but NOW!

• Like 19

I know I'm miles behind everyone else, as I've only just caught up with Rhapsody/Pigeons this afternoon at repeat cinema relay, but I thought Rhapsody was onebof the most romantic things I've ever seen. There is a strain about Osipova though, even more evident in huge closeup.

I am surprised that the repeat of the live relay can't be edited though, so we don't have the two very long intervals of the original. For some reason, my local Odeon choose to leave you in the dark all through these. It's also funny though, how quiet it is in a cinema when you have a predominantly elderly audience, as we did. :D. Not a single rustle or electronic beep! Much as I love the live relays, I also don't quite understand why the picture and sound have to be out of sync, the sound a couple of frames ahead of the picturetoday. It has been like this for all the relays. This becomes very obvious on the landing of large jumps, for instance.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see which Ashton ballets have been selected for 16/17. Since the program comes out in March (?) I reckon it's all done 'n dusted. Perhaps the "Two Pigeons" effect might not hit until 17/18. My money would be probably on Sylvia as an Osipova vehicle, but possibly Daphnis and Chloe as the timing's right - original costume revival too. And I think Month will re-appear as it was such a success. Symphonic will be 50 too so...If we are to have a choice, I would prefer it not to be Mont.  m I the only person who finds this a tad on the dull side?

If there is a choice, then I wouldn't choose Month.  Am I the only person who finds this a tad on the dull side?  Maybe it is because I have seen it so many times, but I really would prefer something else.  

If there is a choice, then I wouldn't choose Month.  Am I the only person who finds this a tad on the dull side?  Maybe it is because I have seen it so many times, but I really would prefer something else.  

Oh but think of the enticing new casts which might await you  :)

• Like 2

Saw the cinema encore today. Loved Rhapsody... McRae was just amazing with his fabulous jumps. Osipova was good too but I agree she did at times have a strained look on her forehead- not surprising considering the speed the piece requires! Two Pigeons was nice.

So a nice afternoon at the ballet was brought crashing down by the very gory bloody end to tonight's War and Peace!!!

Edited by Don Q Fan

I was at the Southport Vue cinema this afternoon for the encore performance and it was sheer magic, not least because the lighting was brighter and I could see what was happening far better than in the live relay in Preston. Once more the performances were incredible. I could have easily stayed for a second encore! Everyone danced so well and seemed so embued with the spirit not just of the ballet but Ashton himself. Thanks to all the dancers who worked so hard but especial thanks to Kevin O'Hare for rescuing the ballet for the Company and to Christopher Carr for all the hard work he put in to teaching and researching the ballet. Lets hope this means more Ashton goodies in the next season. You can't have too much of a good (or rather great) thing.

• Like 1

Much as I love the live relays, I also don't quite understand why the picture and sound have to be out of sync, the sound a couple of frames ahead of the picturetoday. It has been like this for all the relays. This becomes very obvious on the landing of large jumps, for instance.

I agree.  Watching McRae the other day, I thought he was oddly off the music - until I realised that it might actually be the music that was "off" him!