Reserve list for my Dd

Well done … it's still a possibility!!

• Like 1

Thank you Krishell, well done to you and your DD, massive achievement, I did phone the school to see where she was on the waiting list, and was told they are not giving this information out this year. But will not give up hope yet.

• Like 2

I did phone the school to see where she was on the waiting list, and was told they are not giving this information out this year..

They said the same when we were at finals last year.

• Like 1

I am sorry to highjack balletco but I just wanted some people who would share in my excitement that my drama student has been accepted to the acting course at both The Hammond and Tring Park, I'm so proud!

• Like 13

Thank you! No no DADAs at Tring (his preffered choice) they are looking at their budget as we speak but I think they are going to find the fees with support from the rest of the family.

If only we were all in such a position!

Sorry for delay in posting but been on a well earned trip. Dh deserved a break after putting up with me stressing about auditions!!

We have funding for Tring but nt sure yet if it will cover all costs. We also have a place waiting for us at Ballet West. Sighs of relief all around.

• Like 10

Good luck to the 10 girls and one boy from Northern Ballet CAT scheme who all have finals at Central and Scottish next week and to the ones with finals at ENB and Elmhurst. Good luck, also, to all of the other dc's auditioning next week.

• Like 3

How quick are the results for RBS finals

Must be nerve wracking time for those lucky enough to have had finals

Really hope the RBS year 11's had good news. Must be heartbreaking to get that far and then have to leave. Obviously I know it's not the end of the world, and some will actually do better in another environment, but 15/16 year olds who love it there, will take time to see the positives in the situation and in the meantime feel very upset.

• Like 8

These are the RBS year 11 statistics which when put together make pretty sad viewing.

6 girls from White Lodge have been offered  places at the Upper School.

From the original 13 intake in year 7 only 3 of these original girls will be carrying on to RBS -  one girl from the year 8 intake has been offered a place, one girl from abroad, year 10 intake and one from abroad year 11 intake ( YAGP competition winner).

Throughout the 5 years, 8 girls have been assessed out, 5 have not been offered Upper School and 3 have decided to quit dance in year 11 to follow a different route.

That is a total of 16 girls not carrying on with RBS training.

6 Boys have been offered Upper School places all from original year 7 intake of 12.

Throughout the 5 years 3 boys have been assessed out, i quit in year 10 and 4 have not been offered Upper School places. One boy is turning down his Upper school place in favour of training elsewhere. That is a total of 9 boys not carrying on with RBS training. 

Huge congratulations to those that have been offered places, but to those that haven't please remember that the RBS is definitely not the only route to a successful career.

• Like 9

Can you tell me at what time the Central finals are on Saturday and Sunday please? DD2 is doing her preliminary audition on Saturday and I'm trying to get organised in case she's offered finals... 

That makes very interesting reading Sadielou, thank you for that. I wish them all good luck in the next stage of their careers, wherever that may be.

• Like 2

Thanks Sadielou, that's interesting. It's a bit sad but still much better/brighter that last year's results.

Huge well done to all who got RBS upper school places and huge well done to all who were studying at WL for any length of time - fantastic achievement and opportunity.

Are there similar statistics for Elmhurst?

I wonder if anybody knows how many (ish) students go from lower to upper school? How many got to RBS or ENBS or others prestigious upper schools in the past or this year?

• Like 3

Sadielou thank you so much for those stats! I have a particular interest in that particular year group as I taught a couple of them and it's intriguing that out of those 14 lovely young ladies who spent longer than 2 years at WL that only 4 are progressing to US (although this doesn't take into account how many didn't want to). 

Very well done to anyone achieving places at vocational schools, at any stage during their schooling. It's clear that from year 7 upwards nothing is ever certain!

• Like 2

Thanks Sadielou, it is sad as you say, but that sounds like a fairly typical year to me. Some years have been better and some worse but overall, getting a place at WL is by no means a guarantee of anything.

It's even more heartbreaking for the ones that do make it to Upper School and then fail to make it through to the third / graduate year, or if they do make it through to the end, not to find employment.

• Like 1

Too true, Tabitha.  My dd was at an audition for a short term contract in Copenhagen at the weekend and hundreds were invited...all of a great standard...and 5 were kept behind. It is soul destroying.

I realise the journey is worthwhile for the journey's sake...but at a high cost when there is so little likelihood of employment at the end and often at such a great financial cost to the families.

I believe we are training too many dancers and that many of them are set for disappointment at the end of it all....not that I do not value the skills and qualities that dance offers them along the way.

• Like 8

Am feeling very cynical at the moment and I wouldn't encourage anyone to embark on the roller coaster.....as if we had a choice!

• Like 3

Royal Ballet Stats are very interesting . I still can't get my head around after Five year of training some students are not up to the required standered for Royal Ballet upper school ! Do White lodge and upper school work together?? Or do they even communicate ??

Royal Ballet Stats are very interesting . I still can't get my head around after Five year of training some students are not up to the required standered for Royal Ballet upper school ! Do White lodge and upper school work together?? Or do they even communicate ??

When Paul Lewis (1st Year U/S Teacher) spoke to the Ballet Association, he mentioned that Christopher Powney was very keen to make the RBS 'one school' and that there were now exchanges of teachers between the two sites.

• Like 3