carmen67

Tabitha sorry I posted the same question twice it was done by mistake. So are you saying the students with natural ability are at a advantage ?? If this is the case working hard will make no difference in the end . Are we setting some students up to fail ??

Students with a natural ability will always have an advantage, but natural ability alone will not mean that they will succeed , you need to add in hard work, passion and more than a little bit of luck :)

• Like 8

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tabitha sorry I posted the same question twice it was done by mistake. So are you saying the students with natural ability are at a advantage ?? If this is the case working hard will make no difference in the end . Are we setting some students up to fail ??

The thing is... RBS is considered to be one of the best schools internationally, and so people come from all over the world to audition. Some of them will be outstanding.

My DS who is now coming towards the end of his 2nd year since graduating from a ballet school and often refers to 'facility'. He does not have natural facility and that is something he has had to work with throughout his dancing life. This means he would never dance for a company such as ENB etc. However, he has worked steadily since graduation and has work until May 2017 so although not having natural facility is a disadvantage in classical ballet it is not the end of a dance career if the person has other attributes.

• Like 10

Could we please all be aware that whilst Rupert Pennyfather has chosen to put certain aspects of his life in the public domain this unnamed student & all the other WL/US student have not.

We are discussing a very small, specific group of children who could easily be identified.

I totally agree - while we are all interested in destinations and the thorny topic of the transition from WL to US, these are young people that are being discussed, many of whom will read this forum, or at least, their parents will. Even putting the statistics up may well have upset or offended people as that is information pertaining to their child which they have not chosen to share.

Once again, I would like to celebrate all of these wonderful young people who have such talent. Wherever they go for the next step in their exciting lives will be lucky to have young people with such determination, grit and resilience (qualities that so many young people don't possess!).

• Like 11

Statistics only go to further demonstrate the competitive nature of the ballet world. They 'compete' for entry into 7 when there are far more applicants than training places available.  They grow up with whatever physical and emotional changes that may bring.  Not every child who is ballet mad at age 11 still wants to continue at 16 or 18, regardless of whether they are at vocational school or not. They compete at 16 for upper school - against a much wider field of applicants and again for contracts at the end of their training.  Personally I think everyone of these dancers should be applauded, no matter what path they take in the future.  I don't believe in top and second best schools, nor do I believe in top companies and second best companies.  Each child is an individual and what suits one might not suit another.  Each will find their own path - be it in dance or not.  And to me a dancer who trains and gets the work they want to do is a success - there is no such clause as "even if its not with a top company"

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 19

Statistics only go to further demonstrate the competitive nature of the ballet world. They 'compete' for entry into 7 when there are far more applicants than training places available.  They grow up with whatever physical and emotional changes that may bring.  Not every child who is ballet mad at age 11 still wants to continue at 16 or 18, regardless of whether they are at vocational school or not. They compete at 16 for upper school - against a much wider field of applicants and again for contracts at the end of their training.  Personally I think everyone of these dancers should be applauded, no matter what path they take in the future.  I don't believe in top and second best schools, nor do I believe in top companies and second best companies.  Each child is an individual and what suits one might not suit another.  Each will find their own path - be it in dance or not.  And to me a dancer who trains and gets the work they want to do is a success - there is no such clause as "even if its not with a top company"

Hear, hear. Couldn't agree more!

• Like 2

I fully agree too.

Incidentally, I watched an RBS promo clip on Facebook in which a young girl said that the good thing about the school was "everybody is the best so you get to see the best". Yr 11 auditions must be a brutal experience indeed for many WLers if that view is encouraged...

• Like 2

Statistics are correct as have lived through the ups and downs of this very turbulent 5 years with this group of children and I know very well how all the parents and children are feeling at the moment. In reply to Flora, many of the White Lodgers sadly do have this skewed idea that RBS is the only place to a train and anywhere else is second best. Sadly many of our group felt that if they were not offered RBS US then that would be the end for them. Luckily my DC feels the opposite and has decided to turn down the RBS place in favour of a place abroad, where we feel that my DC will be appreciated and nurtured, every child is different and I think it is more important to go somewhere with a positive atmosphere where you feel that you can learn and grow, rather than just going for the "Name" 

Edited by Sadielou
  • Like 27

Thank you, there are 10 in his group, not sure how many places there are for boys, they have space for 45 in the accommodation for 2 year groups. After seeing the accommodation it has made him more desperate to get a place, am a nervous wreck!!

• Like 2

We are here now and the boys have just gone in to change. Nerve wracking times!!!

I have just arrived in Birmingham with one very jittery dd !

Good luck Gollyrox and all the boys .

I cannot wait to get tomorrow over with then the dreaded wait ..., who'd be a dance Mum

• Like 4

Is it just me or can anyone else not wait until the whole final auditions process is over and like Lisa said whatever will be will be ! I really would like my life back so heaven knows how are children are feeling !

If she gets in, your life will never be the same again ;) Good Luck …. this is just the beginning #nervesofsteel

• Like 6

Good luck to you all for Elmhurst, ENB and Central this weekend - one more year for us before we're in your shoes! Making the most of no auditions this year to do Phyllis Bedells bursary on Sunday.

• Like 4