An update on a previous post

Dance*is*life

As a ballet teacher of many years I thought I'd seen it all, but this evening I learned something that really made me stop and think differently about a pupil.  This girl is one of the weaker ones in her class - every year she takes the exam, works quite hard for it, but always gets the lowest mark. Somehow it doesn't put her off and she carries on regardless, but this year she was late paying the fee and we closed the account without her.  Her mother phoned the Dance Principal this evening and asked if there was any way she could still pay - apparently knowing that this year her mother couldn't afford to pay, somehow the girl had collected the money together herself and wanted to pay. Of course we contacted our local RAD coordinater and got permission to pay the money in separately - what else could we do?  Really I am so impressed with her determination and very much hope that she'll do better than usual in the exam this year - because honestly she deserves it!

• Like 22

I am sure she'll get a better mark this year because she's taking Grade 7 - last year was IF, so she got a very low Merit. I thought you'd all enjoy the story - I will certainly keep you posted and will do my very best to ensure that she succeeds.  I shall give her a big hug when I see her for class on Monday :)

I have to say that I always liked the way she accepted her marks graciously - I have girls who nearly got Distinction for IF who are refusing to do the exam this year - they took it so hard that they missed out on a Distinction, even though I explained how much harder the marking is for IF.  She just smiles and carries on! 

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update you all and say that with the exams coming up in about 10 days time, she has really worked hard these last couple of months and has improved quite dramatically!  I am so pleased with her and am keeping fingers crossed that she will get a decent mark this time.  Hopefully I will have good news for you (and her!) in a few weeks time! 

• Like 12

That's so lovely and fingers crossed for her too. I would like to think my daughter would do the same if the situation arose. Fees can really add up and some children seem to take for granted sometimes (skipping classes for birthday parties, minor illness, to go shopping etc) so it's nice to hear this story :)

• 2 months later...

I can't find my original post, but in it I wrote about a student who was so determined to take her RAD Grade 7 exam that she collected the money for it herself. Anyway, she got her highest mark to date for the exam - 70% - with a VERY tough examiner, so she will be very chuffed with herself when we hand out the certificates and medals. This has been a real turning point for her and I can see that contrary to my former expectations of her, she should be able to pass Intermediate next year! Just thought I'd post this, because I promised to let you know what happened, as there was such a positive response to the story.

• Like 30

I remember a boy with similar determination and enthusiasm, in a rugby team I was involved with a few years ago, he struggled to get a place in what was a very successful team. To cut a long story short, he ended up being quite a legend of the game, both in this country and Australia., so who knows.