Royal Ballet season 2015-2016

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamilton's been dancing the role for the last couple of runs, and Osipova has danced it already, too.  Can't say I see Choe as an obvious choice for Juliet, though.

I missed Hamilton last time, but in any case she and Osipova are relatively new to the role so out of the current Juliets I would like to see them cast again.

Did anyone else found it interesting that in the 2015/2016 trailer that O'Hare placed so much emphasis on giving younger dancers more of a chance? I think it will be fabulous season if he does carry that out, but I wonder if he is aware that a lot of his principals are of a similar age, and may fear a repeat of Benjamin, Galeazzi, Cojocaru, Kobborg and Rojo departure?

As this is the 50th anniversary of R&J, I think that a mix of younger and older dancers interpreting the roles is entirely appropriate.  Lauren Cuthbertson is still my favourite Juliet in the company, but contrary to Booklover89 I would absolutely drool at the thought of Obraztsova coming here to dance Juliet again.  She was an absolute revelation, and whether she is from this company or another one doesn't matter to me on this occasion!! 

Booklover89 also mentioned trying to form a McRae/?  partnership within the RB, so just a couple of thoughts:

I'm not sure what happened to the Marquez/McRae partnership;  they danced so well together.  They almost never dance together anymore.  He was starting to forge a bit of a partnership with Alina, but then she upped and left.  He seems to be dancing more and more with Osipova, so maybe they are trying to build on that.  Technically they are well matched, but I think her dramatic abilities far outstrip his, so there isn't really a parity there.  In, for example, Rubies, they were brilliant to watch because they were playing off each other and outdoing each other and it was great fun, and there is no depth of character required.  I think in the dramatic stakes she is better matched with Golding.  She has guested with McRae in Russia and will do so again soon in NYC.   So, it would appear that this is a partnership that they both enjoy and are fostering....watch this space!

• Like 1

I suspect that McRae is trying to build up a higher international profile and that that accounts for the disappearing partnership with Marquez. There is no need to bring in guests for him but this has happened two years running and not just to cover Cojacaru's absence. He's danced with Osipova at the Bolshoi and will be dancing with her again at ABT. They are not particularly well suited physically but she is an international star and he seems to want to make use of that, if not at the RB then in guest appearances abroad, to build up his international reputation. It's fair enough in my book - dancers' careers are short and precarious - but it does leave Marquez without a regular partner and you get the feeling that she has dropped far down the list when partnerships and casting are being arranged. I suspect that, with her busy schedule of guest appearances, Osipova's availability is considered first and her partnerships with her leading men decided before everything else. 

• Like 2

As this is the 50th anniversary of R&J, I think that a mix of younger and older dancers interpreting the roles is entirely appropriate.  Lauren Cuthbertson is still my favourite Juliet in the company, but contrary to Booklover89 I would absolutely drool at the thought of Obraztsova coming here to dance Juliet again.  She was an absolute revelation, and whether she is from this company or another one doesn't matter to me on this occasion!! 

Oh no, I love Obraztsova and would certainly book to see her as Juliet again.  I just wish it didn't also have to close one potential Juliet 'space' off for a younger dancer to move into!

• Like 1

I wonder if he is aware that a lot of his principals are of a similar age, and may fear a repeat of Benjamin, Galeazzi, Cojocaru, Kobborg and Rojo departure?

I am sure he is.  Succession planning should definitely be a focus.  It is encouraging that he seems to be very focused on his younger talent and he seems to be hiring more men from the School who have potential principal qualities than I felt Mason did (I didn't see the same issue with the women she recruited on graduation).  She seemed to have a bias towards hiring small men from the School, and while some (like Hay) are very beautiful dancers, they are not necessarily going to be principal material.  

As others have said, hopefully he will resist the temptation to promote just because a principal slot becomes available and will just cast more junior dancers in principal roles and bring some on so that in a few years they can take the slots that open up when Acosta, Watson and Bonelli (and Yanowsky and Morera among the women) retire without him needing to make lateral hires from other companies (especially as those rarely seem to work out well on the male side, although I think Bonelli is an exception and arguably the best all rounder of the current male principals and others may find artistic qualities in Kish and Golding that completely evade me).  It may mean we have a season or two of relatively inexperienced dancers in leading roles, but that could be quite an exciting time for regular Royal Ballet-goers (I appreciate it may lead to some disappointments for less frequent visitors to the ROH who understandably expect a completely polished performance).

Edited by barton22
  • Like 2

He seems to be dancing more and more with Osipova, so maybe they are trying to build on that.  Technically they are well matched, but I think her dramatic abilities far outstrip his, so there isn't really a parity there.  .........  I think in the dramatic stakes she is better matched with Golding. 

I find McRae much more convincing dramatically than Golding (and I am REALLY not a McRae fan other than on a technical level).  McRae can overdo it sometimes and look a little self satisfied, but I really can't find Golding convincing as an actor at all and the fixed look of furrowed-browed-angst and clenched teeth just doesn't work for me.  I wish they would mix up the partnering with Osipova.  I'd love to see Muntagirov with her and she might bring out of him some more animated acting.  Bonelli too; he is lovely but can be rather too reserved and cautious as a dancer and she might bring something really exciting out of him.  Although he seems to be checked out much of the time he is on stage, I'd also like to see whether she could fire up Pennefather; he seems so uninterested in his job, but a wasted talent and surely worth an attempt at salvation!

• Like 2

He seems to be dancing more and more with Osipova, so maybe they are trying to build on that.  Technically they are well matched, but I think her dramatic abilities far outstrip his, so there isn't really a parity there.  In, for example, Rubies, they were brilliant to watch because they were playing off each other and outdoing each other and it was great fun, and there is no depth of character required.  I think in the dramatic stakes she is better matched with Golding.  She has guested with McRae in Russia and will do so again soon in NYC.   So, it would appear that this is a partnership that they both enjoy and are fostering....watch this space!

I'm certainly looking forward to their Fille and how well Osipova does gentle romantic comedy ☺

Did anyone go to the Season Preview last Thursday afternoon?

Often, in the past, people have reported back on hints about casting. Were there any on this occasion?

Did any dancers attend the event?

Were there any other revelations beyond the list and information now online?

That is correct. He said that he hadn't wanted to announce casting too far in advance as he wished to see how certain (presumably junior) dancers might develop.

I got an email from the ROH yesterday confirming that they expected to announce ballet casting at the end of April so it was available before the first tiers of priority ticket booking opened.

• Like 1

Reading the Fille thread, people are talking about Marquez.  I think she might be a good casting for Pigeons?  What does everyone else think?

I'm inclined to agree, especially with Campbell. Now that MacRae seems to be partnered elsewhere, she really blossomed with Alexander Campbell in both Quixote and last night in Fille, and it if her body language is to be believed really loved dancing with him...

• Like 4

I agree with previous comments Muntagirov and Takada are not a great match!  I thought it was just me!

I've only seen the Don Q rehearsal video of the two of them dancing together, and I wasn't convinced either! I've seen Muntagirov dance with Cojocaru, Daria and Fernanda Oliveria when he was at ENB and their chemistry was miles better! 

Maybe when we finally see Muntagirov on stage with Lauren Cutherbertson, there might be some exciting chemistry there (Polunin replacement?)

• Like 1

Maybe when we finally see Muntagirov on stage with Lauren Cutherbertson, there might be some exciting chemistry there (Polunin replacement?)

I saw Vadim and Lauren dance the Tchaikovsky pdd in Japan three years ago and thought they were a decent but not electrifying pairing.  He was much less experienced and more reserved in those days, though, and I suspect they would be much better now that he has come out of his shell a bit more and they would have a lengthy rehearsal period.  Lauren seems to be to be quite good at drawing more thrilling performances out of her partners than might otherwise be the case.  I wonder whether they might dance the piece in the Viscera mixed programme this autumn... 

Edited by barton22

Some interesting changes in the pricing policy it seems. 

Connectome / Raven Girl is the cheapest by a long way - top price of £45 in the stalls, £24 in the central block of the amphi. 

The Viscera/ Faune /Carmen mixed bill is rather more expensive than these have been in the last few seasons - £100 in the stalls, £59 in the central block of the amphi. Gulp. (Looks like same prices for the Monotones/ Two Pigeons programme). 

Nutcracker and R&J are both more expensive. Evening perf stalls seats at £127 / £117, central amphi £69. Even the slips ticket price is in double figures. 

Connectome / Raven Girl is the cheapest by a long way - top price of £45 in the stalls, £24 in the central block of the amphi. 

It will need to be, given the deservedly dire reputation of Raven Girl and the mediocre quality of Connectome's choreography.  You couldn't pay me to watch this programme, let alone charge me for it.

• Like 4

The Viscera/ Faune /Carmen mixed bill is rather more expensive than these have been in the last few seasons - £100 in the stalls, £59 in the central block of the amphi. Gulp. (Looks like same prices for the Monotones/ Two Pigeons programme).

The modern programme is obviously priced to correspond to the old rate of top-price £40. But £100 for a mixed bill?! Up from £65?? So top amphi prices barely any less than you would previously have paid for the Grand Tier. Shocking. Part of the reason I appreciated the mixed bills so much was that I could afford to sit down, but I guess that'll be going out of the window. And given the lack of day standing tickets, I won't have that option, either. I suppose I could understand cashing in on Acosta's (presumably) more or less last performances, but the others? With 14 performances of Two Pigeons? It's a good job both programmes will be on at the cinema: I usually complain about the price of the seats there, but it's beginning to look like a reasonable deal in comparison.

Some interesting changes in the pricing policy it seems. 

Nutcracker and R&J are both more expensive. Evening perf stalls seats at £127 / £117, central amphi £69. Even the slips ticket price is in double figures. 

OMG £127 for the stalls and £69 for the Amphi for R & J & Nutcracker and £100 for a mixed bill ! Perhaps they're subsidising Raven Girl/Connectome but frankly if £45 for the stalls is all they think it's worth surely they should just be done with it and bin it. 

Edited by annamk
  • Like 6

Can anyone with the information tell us what standing room costs are for the high ticket items both for SC and the Amphi?  Much thanks in advance for your time and kind consideration ... Signed 'Fearful'.  

I saw someone asked on the ROH site but was answered only that it would be revealed in good time.  

Edited by Bruce Wall