Royal Ballet season 2015-2016

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My ROH magazine just plopped through the letterbox and the start of the season is:

Romeo and Juliet (which we knew already) - around 18 performances

Connectome/Raven Girl - 7 performances

Viscera/Afternoon of a Faun/Tchaikovsky pdd/Carmen (Acosta's) - 8 performances

Monotones I and II/Two Pigeons - 7 performances

The Nutcracker - around 25 performances

There are Insight Evenings on Two Pigeons, Carmen, Romeo and Juliet as well as several "Royal Ballet in Rehearsal" evenings.  There is even a session in the Clore with David Pickering where you can "Dance with The Royal Ballet" and learn some of the Romeo and Juliet choreography.

There is no casting announced at this stage.

• Like 3

I never thought I'd see the Royal doing Two Pigeons - I really thought that was, well, BRB's pigeon these days - but am delighted to see it. I didn't realise the Acosta Carmen was going to be a one-act ballet, though: that bill sounds a bit odd to me. Presumably that's a farewell to the Ek production, then, although I'm not sure who I would have cast in that in the absence of both Rojo and Guillem.

Thanks for the heads-up, barton22.

Yes, I don't know what the total of performances is for next season, but that's probably 1/5-1/6 of them. Odd to have the next season going out in the post before it's been officially announced, though.

I didn't realise the Acosta Carmen was going to be a one-act ballet, though: that bill sounds a bit odd to me. 

The blurb says of it "here his approach is more abstract, paring the narrative down to its dramatic essentials of love, jealousy and revenge, and framing the action within a minimalist stage design."  They say that Acosta will appear in the roles of Don Jose and Escamillo at different performances.

• Like 1

TWENTY FIVE Nutcrackers!! Blimey - much as I love it, that does seem excessive, even though it was awol last Christmas

I think I miscounted; it looks like it is actually 26!  On the plus side, as a friend just said, it is a ballet that gives some of the promising younger dancers an opportunity to take on a principal role and so with luck we may see Matt Ball as the prince.

Hopefully there will be an alternative programme over Christmas, as there has tended to be recently.  We shall see when the whole season gets announced.

Hopefully there will be an alternative programme over Christmas, as there has tended to be recently.  We shall see when the whole season gets announced.

I hope so. Actually, I wonder if it might be Winter's Tale, or would it be too complicated to have both in rep at the same time? More likely to be a mixed bill. 

Continuing the season:

Will Tuckett's Elizabeth in the Linbury

Rhapsody/Two Pigeons (again) - 7 performances

After the Rain/New Wheeldon/Within the Golden Hour (all Wheeldon programme)

Giselle - 16 performances

The Winter's Tale - 15 performances

Frankenstein (Scarlett) - 10 performances

New McGregor/The Invitation/Within the Golden Hour (again) - 6 performances

That seems to be it unless I missed anything rushing through it.

Looks like the in house choreographers are strengthening their grip on the repertoire.  Nothing recent or new here from an outsider.

Edited by barton22
  • Like 5

Thanks! Would love to see the Rhapsody/Two Pigeons double bill :-)

I'm not crazy about the rest of the season. I think I had my fill of Frankenstein after the National Theatre's terrific but version, and I wasn't very enthusiastic about The Invitation when it was last on (about a decade ago?).

Edited by Sunrise

Continuing the season:

Will Tuckett's Elizabeth in the Linbury

Rhapsody/Two Pigeons (again) - 7 performances

After the Rain/New Wheeldon/Within the Golden Hour (all Wheeldon programme)

Giselle - 16 performances

The Winter's Tale - 15 performances

Frankenstein (Scarlett) - 10 performances

New McGregor/The Invitation/Within the Golden Hour (again) - 6 performances

That seems to be it unless I missed anything rushing through it.

Looks like the in house choreographers are strengthening their grip on the repertoire.  Nothing recent or new here from an outsider.

Never ceases to amaze me how info gets out there!

Frankenstein is the big one and a huge step up for Scarlett. I just hope he does not take on other work - he seems to have been too busy of late. Less is more.

And it looks like Liam has been doing some sketches for Frankenstein. Here's a review of his piece for NYCB last autumn:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/36a3b5fc-43d1-11e4-baa7-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3XBeWohQp

It was called Funérailles (“Funeral”), and a "brutish and vampiric pas de deux" according to Apollinaire Scherr.

Edited by Bruce

After the Rain is the Wheeldon they *didn't* do last time, isn't it? The one with the gorgeous pdd which I missed because it was only in a gala? If so, great, although I wonder about casting for an all-Wheeldon bill, given his fondness for using the same dancers for much of the time.

So, no Sleeping Beauty. That rather reinforces my suspicion that they may be holding it back for the season after, with a new Swan Lake the season after that.

I'm also not overly keen on shoving all the works by a particular choreographer together: with Ashton I think it's a bit of an embarras de richesses (although I'm sure the Ashton fanatics will love not having it "contaminated" with anything else!), and with Wheeldon it might be a bit abstract for me, unless he's doing a narrative ballet for his new work.

So, we finally get The Invitation back - only about 10 years too late for the casting I really wanted to see in it - but apart from that there's not much MacMillan around at all. And Scarlett tackling Frankenstein - could be interesting.

I hope they give some of the lower ranks a chance to tackle roles in R&J and the Winters tale. However the Nutcracker will provide a lot of opportunities! Fingers crossed for Matthew Ball as the Prince!

After the Rain is the Wheeldon they *didn't* do last time, isn't it? The one with the gorgeous pdd which I missed because it was only in a gala? If so, great, although I wonder about casting for an all-Wheeldon bill, given his fondness for using the same dancers for much of the time.

Yeah he does have his favourites! Hopefully roles are not just reserved for principals this time!

It arrived in the mail from the ROH, Bruce.    

Yes appreciate that and no quible if you thought I had.

A lot (but not all) of ENB's next season came out to friends the day before the 'big release' was to be made. Hard for organisations to get their ducks in a row on news release it seems - soembody always gets soemthing 'early'. We are blessed with the net at times like this.

• Like 1

Looking at the dates, it seems we have pure Nutcracker over Christmas and New Year; no alternative as they have provided in recent years.  Romeo and Juliet stretches from September through into the very beginning of December and the Monotones programme goes into early December, too; but then the Rhapsody programme doesn't start until mid-January.  Elizabeth is throughout January, but in the Linbury.

I'm not crazy about the repetition from previous seasons as well within the next one - as lovely as Monotones and Giselle are, I feel like we just had them. 

They could do Giselle every season, as far as I'm concerned!  :-)

• Like 10

not keen on this trend of having the same work repeated in different mixed bills, have to say (Song of the Earth this season, and two works next season). Even if they are amongst my faves, seems we're 'missing out' somehow...

• Like 7

"Pardon me boy, is this the Transyvania Station?

Jah, jah, track 29 - can I give you a shine"

(from Young Fronkonsteen, a film that makes me laugh just thinking about it. I'm guessing this won't be the version the ballet made from....)

• Like 1