Royal Ballet season 2015-2016

I have tried rows A to J of the Orchestra Stalls in recent years and have settled on row C. This is close enough to see the dancers' facial expressions in detail, and the view on to the stage was, on the average, less impacted by tall people in front me than when I was sitting further back. Rows A/ B are great however difficult to get.

There have been a few performances though when my neighbours were surprised to see me sitting on my jacket or laptop bag to get a better view (I am 5'3). ;)  

Having said that

... I believe that some ballets are better seen from further up e.g., to see geometric lines in dancing and/ or lighting patterns

... Given the prices for autumn 2015/ 16, I will explore other areas of the House, and I think my local cinema will see me more often

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a totally impeded view on row B in the stalls.  I like row A if I can get it, although some people seem to think they are a little low.  Otherwise I find sitting at the side, giving a diagonal view is better than sitting in the centre.

I've had one of my worst stalls experiences sitting in that block on the side - row D, I think it was, though - very great interference from other patrons' heads.  It was that contemporary mixed bill with Qualia in it - otherwise I'd never have been able to afford it.

I can't understand why the seats in the stalls have such poor sight lines.  It doesn't seem to matter where you sit - the seats are poorly arranged. Consequently, you get that bobbing head motion as people try to see round the person in front, that ripples from the front to back of the stalls.

Yes, you can sit on something to push you up a little.  But then you have to consider the person behind.  it is one thing to have your view blocked by someone who just happens to be tall, and quite another by someone who has boosted themselves up.  I remember being annoyed once when there was a child in front of me, who was encouraged by their parents to stand and lean back on the upturned seat.  Now, I appreciate that the child wanted to see properly, but as a result I could hardly see anything and had to swap places with my partner.  This caused a lot of tutting from the rows behind, but what else could I do?

When I had a seat in the stalls at the Coliseum, I didn't have this problem at all. 

• Like 3

I think that booking seats in the stalls, other than the sides of Row A and H, is quite a gamble, one I would have made a few years ago for a 40 pound matinee ticket, but no way for a 100-125 pound ticket, especially if I'm paying for two seats. The people in front don't have to be that tall to impede your view. I don't mind in opera so much. But for the ballet I'd rather book the grand tier or balcony, or even the boxes where you'll at least know what kind of view you're going to get. 

Just noticed an announcement on the ROH website:

"A note from Kevin O'Hare on ballet casting for Autumn Season (updated 29/04/15)

Some patrons have asked about casting details for Autumn Season. As it becomes increasingly difficult to create accurate detailed information so far in advance of the published performances I feel that it is preferable to delay announcing casting in order to try and minimize the likelihood of changes. I am now pleased to be able to confirm that the casting will be released on 5 May in advance of booking opening."

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/autumn-201516

How odd, I follow the royal ballet and the tweet did not reach me.

I saw the tweet when I read through current posts of @theroyalballet, without being logged in to my twitter account. It is currently shown as posted "1 hour ago".

I saw the tweet when I read through current posts of @theroyalballet, without being logged in to my twitter account. It is currently shown as posted "1 hour ago".

Thanks Duck, appreciate it.

It's no bad thing to change companies. Many star dancers have moved companies at least once and even going to another company as a guest can give a dancer another perspective. I wish that more RB dancers would do a season 'sabbatical' with another company, particularly those who have danced with the RB for more than a decade.

• Like 3

It's no bad thing to change companies. Many star dancers have moved companies at least once and even going to another company as a guest can give a dancer another perspective. I wish that more RB dancers would do a season 'sabbatical' with another company, particularly those who have danced with the RB for more than a decade.

And this may be more controversial, but that we might have some star dancers do a sabbatical here as well :-)

Casting for Period 1  2015/16 has been published

Francesca as Juliet!  -  Great ! I'm looking forward to that. A tinge of sadness that I didn't see another name I'd hoped for but hey I've never run a ballet company and as much of an insight I think my dance training and years of watching dance has given me, I'll keep my mouth shut.

By the way not sure what I think of Golding as her Romeo but will wait and see

Osipova and McRae  - Tchaikovsky pas de deux - that should be a real treat.

Cuthbertson, Muntagirov, Morera, Hirano - The Two Pigeons -  another treat...

After being away from regular attendance at Covent Garden for a while, I think I'll be back with a bang in Autumn.

Edited by Jamdancer
  • Like 2

Delighted that Naghdi and Ball have been paired for R&J - most exciting - as well as Osipova with Muntagirov and most certainly - as noted - Ms. Hayward's debut with Mr. Golding.  Oh, and the addition of Nunez/Muntagirov for the Tschai PDD is enticing as well.  Was somewhat surprised that Salenko was brought in for Two Pigeons with McRae and not just the R&J.  Has she danced much Ashton elsewhere?   Forgive my ignorance on that score.   Most pleased that Mr. Hay is getting a stab at Two Pigeons.  I don't see Ms. Cope's name included anywhere - including Nutcracker.  Perhaps she is delaying her RB return for just a bit given the commercial/critical success of An American in Paris on Broadway.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Oh my word - Osipova/Muntagirov pairing should be fantastic! Also thrilled for the Naghdi/Ball; they really shone in Onegin earlier this season. No Morera Juliet though! 

On another note, Salenko seems to be becoming a permanent fixture at the ROH, dancing in R&J, Two Pigeons and the Nutcracker, I believe. I enjoyed her in Swan Lake this season, but can't help but think that it's not a desperately necessary move. 

• Like 6

Yes  Naghdi and Ball in Romeo & Juliet - I missed that at first.  Yet another treat...!  I'll have to fight for tickets for the Saturday matinee as I'm away for most of October  after that.  What a pity I'll have to miss Raven Girl - now I don't even have to decide if I should attend a perfomance. Alas, 'twas not to be  ;)

Edited by Jamdancer

I'm finding that formatting very indigestible, I must admit.  Will have to have another go at absorbing it later.

Not surprised to see Hayward getting Juliet, but slightly surprised to see her with Golding.  I guess we'll have to see how that goes.  

Can't immediately see a reason for dropping Bonelli from the first cast of Monotones.  

Might have expected to see Hayward in Two Pigeons somewhere - would have thought it a little unlikely that she'd be doing it in the second run since it's paired with Rhapsody.

I notice that Watson's doing Connectome on all the programmes where he's also cast in Raven Girl, so I guess his role in the latter isn't going to be boosted much, contrary to some people's expectations.

Realistically, Morera as Juliet wasnt going to happen. Naghdi and Hayward to be expected and jolly nice too, as well as Ball. No Romeo for Watson?

Thin pickings for Marquez. I'd have thought she would have been a shoe in for Pigeons especially after Lise this time round and she's not in Nutcracker either(and nor is Soares) unless she will be in the second run.

Also, given the sheer number of Nutcrackers (and Hamitlon absent and Marquez and Osipova not cast, I'm surprised there is no new Sugar Plum Fairy and with Soares uncast no new Prince either. Reece Clarke anyone?). I'm surmising that no Cope Clara means she may welll not be returning and one could hardly blame her: she has seemed astonishingly undervalued over the years and I would imagine that after her American in Paris success the thought of returning to, essentially, leading the corps is not an appealing one.

Delighted to see Heap as Carmen. I thought she was fantastic in DGV last time round,

Is Salenko coming on fiull time contract or Principal Guest Artist as partner to MacRae?

• Like 1

Delighted to see Heap as Carmen. I thought she was fantastic in DGV last time round,

Is Salenko coming on full time contract or Principal Guest Artist as partner to MacRae?

Always enjoyed watching Tierney Heap on stage, and as for Iana Salenko, these questions will be answered when promotions are announced?