Royal Ballet, La Fille mal gardée, 2012

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll start off with a brief report.....just to say that Fille last night was absolutely lovely. It was everything it should be; sparkling, joyous, rustic, touching and beautifully danced and interpreted by all involved. Marianela Nunez is one of the few dancers left who really understands and lives Ashton's choreographic style, and she is a joy to watch. Her natural smile, coming from deep down within her, beams right up to the amphitheatre and lights up her wonderful interpretation of Ashton's difficult steps. Carlos Acosta, although no longer at the peak of his physical abilities, still gave an excellent interpretation of Colas; this is one of his better acting roles, and he and Marianela complement each other very well. They both have a natural gift for comedy, and fed off each other all night. Their pdd were very touching and really embodied the joy and daring of young love. Will Tuckett was a very funny Widow Simone and hit just the right balance between trying to discipline Lise and being a sweet, doting mother. This is a role where one could easily go way over the top and turn it into parody, but this doesn't happen with the renditions I've seen at the RB. With a very touching performance of Alain by Jonathan Howells and the cast being on very happy form, it felt like the sun was shining on a wet and chilly London night.

• Like 5

I know next to nothing about critiquing a performance other than whether or not I enjoyed it! We were there last night as a late birthday treat for daughter, who absolutely loved it.

Having never seen Costa and Nunez "live" before, there was a lovely rapport between them, and Marianela was as beautiful and expressive as I had hoped. There were several of the obligatory six o clock penchees which personally I don't particularly like, and at one point there was a knot in the pink ribbon which I'm not sure was supposed to be there. :-)

Loved Will Tuckett's Widow Simone and the relationship between "her" and Lise. The show had the atmosphere of best friends getting together to revive a favourite ballet and having a simply lovely time. I don't think daughter and I stopped smiling all the way through.

My apologies for the extremely untechnical "review" but from this ballet Mum and young teenage dancing daughter it was just lovely.

OK, I'll start off with a brief report.....just to say that Fille last night was absolutely lovely. It was everything it should be; sparkling, joyous, rustic, touching and beautifully danced and interpreted by all involved. Marianela Nunez is one of the few dancers left who really understands and lives Ashton's choreographic style, and she is a joy to watch. Her natural smile, coming from deep down within her, beams right up to the amphitheatre and lights up her wonderful interpretation of Ashton's difficult steps. Carlos Acosta, although no longer at the peak of his physical abilities, still gave an excellent interpretation of Colas; this is one of his better acting roles, and he and Marianela complement each other very well. They both have a natural gift for comedy, and fed off each other all night. Their pdd were very touching and really embodied the joy and daring of young love. Will Tuckett was a very funny Widow Simone and hit just the right balance between trying to discipline Lise and being a sweet, doting mother. This is a role where one could easily go way over the top and turn it into parody, but this doesn't happen with the renditions I've seen at the RB. With a very touching performance of Alain by Jonathan Howells and the cast being on very happy form, it felt like the sun was shining on a wet and chilly London night.

Have to agree 100% with Sim's comments. It was a joy from start to finish and probably the best performance I have ever seen of Fille by any company. They were on sparkling form on Friday worth every penny. I went to the stage door as well - one little boy who was rather tired had everyone in bulk of laughter when Marianela finally arrived after about 45 minutes by asking her in a loud voice "why did you take so long?" Marianela took it all in her stride, she was lovely with the children there and said she'd be quicker next time LOL! Marianela was suffering with a cold but all credit to her she carried on and anyway she said Fille is such a happy ballet - I agree!

• Like 2

Here are a few sample pics from the dress rehearsal Friday. Cast was Laura Morera and Ricardo Cervera, whose first show is Saturday afternoon (28th April).

6957648040_b27e4d19f8_z.jpg

La fille mal gardee - Colas (Ricardo Cervera) and Lise (Laura Morera)

© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

7103655263_460486c4be_z.jpg

Clog dancing!

6957568208_40cde3310e_z.jpg

Widow Simone taps out the tambourine for Lise (Alastair Marriott and Laura Morera)

See more...

Set on Flickr of RB's La Fille mal gardee

Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

Edited by zxDaveM
  • Like 5

There was a chap with a huge camera taking photos on Friday night too. I wondered if that was you, Dave? :-)

No, that was Tristram Kenton, one of the 'House' photographers. Though I was there - at the opposite end of that standing run (in 39, he was in 28). The Royal Ballet would have hired him to get some Marianela/Carlos photos for future use (in programmes, leaflets, posters even, or for press requirements for this run).

• Like 1

Ah. That explains why sometimes we get press photos of dancers who hadn't been performing in the dress rehearsal and had had no previous performances (either together or separately) in the performance. I didn't realise that any photographers were allowed in to actual performances, as a general rule.

Ah. That explains why sometimes we get press photos of dancers who hadn't been performing in the dress rehearsal and had had no previous performances (either together or separately) in the performance.

Aren't there usually two dress rehearsals? One for the 'in house' photographers and a second for the press photographers?

Aren't there usually two dress rehearsals? One for the 'in house' photographers and a second for the press photographers?

Not always, especially for well established works of the rep - but, yes, that usually happens nowadays. The 'in House' photographers will usually get access to the first cast though, even if they have to shoot during a performance if there wasn't a photocall with that cast. Which can be limiting, due the equipment they have to use in order to be as near silent as possible. The rest of us 'press' photographers are usually the ones you see at Friends rehearsals (usually with 2nd cast, as the 1st cast very often appear that same evening), though the in house guys often go to those as well, for photos for the programmes etc in the next run.

I'm not at the point where I worry too much which cast we get - its not as if you're going to get a duff one - as I don't write the reviews (usually done opening night) or anything. To me, its still an utter joy to photograph whoever on stage :-)

• Like 1

Here are a few sample pics from the dress rehearsal Friday. Cast was Laura Morera and Ricardo Cervera, whose first show is Saturday afternoon (28th April).

I see John's added these to the Photo Archive section, too: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/766-the-royal-ballet-la-fille-mal-gardee-april-2012/. The Photo Archive may in the long term be an easier way of finding your way back to "production" threads as the number of threads here builds up, as each entry links back to the discussion of the production. Many thanks, John.

• Like 1

Well. I've just read Clement Crisp's review of Fille http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz1ssmyFM8s, and he makes quite a few accusations about the way the piece has been changed in recent years (which only goes to show the benefits of having people around who are very long-term balletgoers - assuming their memories are sound, of course). As a relative newbie of 20-odd years' of Fille-going (!), I'd be interested in hearing from those of longer experience, and/or anyone who's seen the recording he mentions (which I believe is about to be released on DVD? - and bearing in mind that that was a studio production rather than a stage production) as to what's changed.

Edit: I was going to add a link back to the old site where I did a comparison between the 80s recording and early-2000s performances of the ballet, but I can't find it any longer, even via Google.

Fille ....... (is) also showing at cinemas around the world on May 16th with Marquez and McRae. .

I've actually booked for self and friend at the Odeon in St. Martin's Lane, only about five minutes walk from the ROH, because my friend is staying in a hotel in nearby Bloomsbury Silly, I know, but I can't help wondering if the proximity means we'll get a better picture there.......

Guest chinafish

There is a copy of the original cast studio recording in VHS at the RAD library. (I used it for my dissertation in fact!)

Hello Anneliese...lovely to see you back here with us! Laura and Ric are indeed lovely in these roles, but I have to wait until their second performance to see them! I saw Johan and Alina tonight....very good they were, too! But for me, Carlos and Nela have the edge over them based on their performance on Friday night!

• Like 1

I loved the ballet in the last run but I have felt something has been missing in the shows I have seen so far (the friends rehearsal and last night).The timing of the humourous touches hasn't been as sharp as it can be and unfortunately I think that goes for some of the dancing too. Paul Kay was an excellent Alain last night: he was exactly the right side of the fine line between commanding sympathy for the character rather stepping into the embarassing & ridiculous. Alina looked extraordinarily happy on stage and the final pdd was lovely.

Edited by annamk

Paul Kay was an excellent Alain last night: he was exactly the right side of the fine line between commanding sympathy for the character rather stepping into the embarassing & ridiculous.

Indeed. I though Paul kay was marvellous. Have to say I much preferred Nunez & Acosta to Jolina; I found Jolina a touch too saccharine and though Johan wasn't believable. We'll see what Saturday brings!

Alina looked extraordinarily happy on stage and the final pdd was lovely.

That's good to hear, she looked as though she was in tears at the end of Sweet Violets last Wednesday, am looking forward to seeing them both in a sunny ballet on Saturday!

Well, I know I'm *not* actually in a minority of one here, but barring a couple of little Act II niggles (Kobborg momentarily seeming to morph into Oberon at the beginning of their pas de deux; Cojocaru omitting the fluttery beating feet when he kisses his way up her arm, which I *really* missed) I thought there was something very special about last night's Fille. (Interestingly enough, having read my original version of the posting I referred to above earlier that day, I found Cojocaru put in most of the bits I'd been lamenting as abandoned in recent years. Oh, and Clement Crisp will be pleased to know that the maypole was properly unwound this time, so I'm hoping that Friday was just an aberration.)

• Like 1

Thought that Cojocaru and Kobborg were wonderful in a different way from Nunez and Acosta who were certainly wonderful. N (technically flawless) and A have a warmth and spontaneity which projects all the way to the amphi. They have an earthbound quality while C and K seem more airborne. The incredible synchronicity of their movement as well as their chemistry(C and K) lifts the pas de deux to another level, particularly the final pas de deux. How lucky we are to see both these couples.

• Like 1

Well. I've just read Clement Crisp's review of Fille http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz1ssmyFM8s, and he makes quite a few accusations about the way the piece has been changed in recent years (which only goes to show the benefits of having people around who are very long-term balletgoers - assuming their memories are sound, of course). As a relative newbie of 20-odd years' of Fille-going (!), I'd be interested in hearing from those of longer experience, and/or anyone who's seen the recording he mentions (which I believe is about to be released on DVD? - and bearing in mind that that was a studio production rather than a stage production) as to what's changed.

Edit: I was going to add a link back to the old site where I did a comparison between the 80s recording and early-2000s performances of the ballet, but I can't find it any longer, even via Google.

Hopefully, here's your old thread Alison:

http://www.ballet.co...rumID16/86.html

Hopefully, here's your old thread Alison:

http://www.ballet.co...rumID16/86.html

Thank you very much, Paul, for posting that link, and Alison for writing that analysis. It was a fascinating read. I think the handkerchief over the face is a brilliant touch and very effective, as is the bumping down the stairs. I loved Nunez's Lise, both live and recorded, and saw Collier's (on video) quite a while ago so I'm off to watch the two DVDs again.