Royal Ballet, La Fille mal gardée, 2012

Does anyone know roughly what the finishing time for this is?

This will obviously depend on the time your performance starts. The running time is supposed to be two and a quarter hours but it usually overruns by a few minutes.

Edited to say that I didn't realise that there was another page to this topic and that the question had already been answered!

Edited by Bluebird

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Paul, it was. How did you manage to find it?

Couldn't find it with Google at first (using the wrong search terms?). But I have that page archived and so got the forum ID no (16) and thread no (86) from that, and used those in the web address to get to it online. Then I found that Google can find it after all:

http://www.google.co...ype=&as_rights=

It can be quite interesting to try typing random numbers in the old ballet.co forum addresses (I obviously don't have enough to do!), and seeing what you get. For example, if you go to that "Fille - watching the videos" page, change the 86 to 72 at the end of the web address, and see what you get - ok, well that's not so random I admit. (I particularly like post 48.)

I'm now a rare visitor to Covent Garden, living as I do in the sticks, so trips to see the RB are treasured all the more. Last night's Nunez/Acosta Fille was an absolute joy. I do normally prefer a bit of doom, death and depression but after that performance I may have to reconsider the choice of Mayerling as my desert island ballet.

I have no idea if it is possible for the cast to have such fun when they are working so hard but the leads looked like they were having an absolute ball - as was the audience. Brilliant stuff.

No idea whether there was anything there to upset Mr Crisp ....how fortunate I am to be a simple viewer.

• Like 5

Welcome to BalletcoForum, Gill. So glad to see you post up, and so glad that the infectious joy of Fille has got to you, too. No matter what the weather, or what is going on in life, whenever I come out of seeing a performance of it I'm smiling and feeling joyful. A real tonic.

• Like 2

Had a wonderful afternoon. Although Cervera was a tiny bit wobbly in his first solo, and there was one fluffed oboe bar, I was verging on tears of joy throughout (apart from when I realised the downside of being on the side of the stalls circle when I tried to move my head the other way lol when it was tears of pain). Him Indoors said it was absolutely the best ballet experience he'd had and just RAVED about Morera. We were sitting so close to the stage we caught every nuance - although I prefer Collier's final variation in the harvest PDD (just something not quite as pretty there) she was fabulous throughout - and I caught some lovely business with the money and then again with the wine in Act II. Even pony choreography was included (anyone else see the pas de cheval he did?)... and the band were wonderful, I caught details of orchestration that I never had before. Not 100% convinced by Alain (don't really think I ever am...) but no 1 son thought he was the star of the show and wants a red umbrella. Gary Avis was maybe OTT as the notary but I didn't care - he's brilliant whatever he does - and Alastair Marriott is one of THE BEST drag acts in ballet (or any other art form). Maybe again he overplayed a little, but what I love about him is (a) he's a totally convincing woman and (B) no matter how much he plays to the gallery, his relationship with Lise is completely genuine. Another point which was very clear in this instantiation was Lise's very real worry when Simone locks her in her room - she was panic-stricken. Perhaps Morera's deranged flexed foot variation was a little TOO deranged; but when all's said and done there's only one Lesley Collier, isn't there? And she DID look at the ribbon while she danced with it. Props admirably handled, hens stole the show; singing at the end was underwhelming, need to get Mary King in there to coach the corps I think, but this is me being ultra picky. I'm so glad I was there, and it's not a performance I'll forget in a hurry. What's not to love? I might be the only person in the world who is moved to tears by the music but I don't care, I would be completely happy if Fille was my only DVD!

Just one little thing - anyone else think Laura Morera is Bettany Hughes' long-lost twin???

• Like 1

Yes it was a lovely afternoon and I agree about Laura Morera, such a wonderful performance. Thanks too to Dave Morgan for those pictures - I took my grand-daughter to this performance and it was great to look at his pictures today and share our outing with the rest of the family.

Margaret

• Like 1

I can only describe Marianela and Carlos as completely joyous throughout- and even better as they looked so happy all the way through. It was as near perfect as I could imagine.

I wish I could book for every performance of this ballet, (I'd probably be in the divorce courts with my husband and my cats if I did), but even so, I still have the joy of 2 more performances to come - Brian Maloney / Yuhui Choe and Steven McRae/ Roberta Marquez. Who cares about the weather, the sun has just come out.

• Like 1

"Joyous” would be my word too to describe my first “Fille” on Saturday evening. It was a complete delight from beginning to end. I afterwards thought that this would be a perfect first ballet for lots of people; the story, acting and mime were all so clear. I hadn’t managed to persuade any of my ballet-hating family to accompany me but when I later described it, the reaction was, “If I’d known it was going to be like that, I would have gone!” Thank you, Alison, for your comments on the different productions on the old forum - very interesting. However, for something that seems so rooted in British traditions I find it odd that the original French setting and title is still kept.

Edited by rowan
  • Like 1

I afterwards thought that this would be a perfect first ballet for lots of people; the story, acting and mime were all so clear. I hadn’t managed to persuade any of my ballet-hating family to accompany me but when I later described it, the reaction was, “If I’d known it was going to be like that, I would have gone!”

I keep trying to convince people of that, too ...

We are for ever grateful to my father who decided, in 1970, that my fiance and his mother should come with us to see Fille. It was David Blair and Merle Park with Lesley Edwards as Thomas and, perhaps, David Morse as Alain. As a direct result, my now husband became a ballet fan. No better recommendation than that!

Memories of Fille also go back to a performance in a 'big top' in Battersea Park when Wendy Ellis and Wayne Eagling were dancing Lise and Colas. As the Act One storm broke on stage, the heavens opened outside, rain pelted on the tent roof and thunder clapped along with the orchestra. An amazing experience.

Please can anyone remember who might have played Widow Simone in 1970? I don't think that it was Stanley Holden.

Clement Crisp complained (amongst much else) about the thunder in the storm scene. I too thought there was much more of it, not especially loud but more prolonged, in the performance on Saturday evening. I found it intrusive and that it disturbed the music. The 1981 recording sounds as if the storm effects were produced with a thunder sheet whereas now they sound more 'real'. Anyone else notice this?

Don't know about photos but she was exquisite - and it was so good to see Brian Maloney in the spotlight. He was a charming lad next door and the spark between them was great. His technique and partnering were solid and he made a lovely replacement for the absent one.

• Like 3

Brian and Yuhui did one performance of Fille two or three years ago on an Easter Monday; I didn't go away that weekend so that I could see them. They were wonderful even in that first performance and really were a lovely partnership. Soon thereafter Brian got his second very bad injury in three years, which unfortunately seems to have scuppered his progression through the ranks thus far. I hope he stays injury-free so that he can finally get the promotion he merits; I'm sure he would have been a First Soloist a good while ago if it hadn't been for his two lengthy absences from the stage. Kevin O'Hare, please take note!! I hope that we will see more of him and Yuhui (preferably together) next season.

• Like 2

regarding post 16 from chinafish, one of my first performances of Fille was almost original cast - David Blair chose it as his last dancing performance in about 1973 - Stanley Holden returned to dance la Veuve & the delightful (ever missed by by me) Merle Park sparkled as Lise truly golden memories!

Having grown up on repeated viewings of an old, slightly worn out video of Fille, I would really love to be able to see it..

I obviously know why they put only show ballet in cinemas once in a blue moon, mid-week, but I still want to complain about it! The nearest Odeon showing it is a good 1.5 hours away and whilst I can justify a late night on a school night, I can't do the same for my youngest daughter! And with my oldest being away at school, only school holidays and the odd weekend would do for her.

I could go on my own or with my husband but I'd feel too guilty. Sorry for the moan!

• Like 1

Does anyone know if there are (or will be) any photos of last night's cast with Yuhui Choe as Lise?

There was a House photographer in for the Yuhui/Brian performance this evening - though I don't know when/where any photos may emerge. They may just be for internal use - or may appear in a programme or on the website the next time the production is in rep.

Edited by zxDaveM
  • Like 1

Having grown up on repeated viewings of an old, slightly worn out video of Fille, I would really love to be able to see it..

I obviously know why they put only show ballet in cinemas once in a blue moon, mid-week, but I still want to complain about it! The nearest Odeon showing it is a good 1.5 hours away and whilst I can justify a late night on a school night, I can't do the same for my youngest daughter! And with my oldest being away at school, only school holidays and the odd weekend would do for her.

I could go on my own or with my husband but I'd feel too guilty. Sorry for the moan!

I agree Regattah! I wish they'd do these broadcasts on a Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon. My dd dances 5 days a week and would be too late in bed on a Thursday. :-(

Unfortunately, since the RB rarely does Sunday matinees, and there seems to be a great keenness to ensure that the transmissions are live rather than recorded, I don't think you'll get your way. And I really can't see cinemas being prepared to sacrifice one screen for a few hours (bearing in mind that you need to clear plenty of time around the performance, rather than running another film which ends 20 miutes beforehand, so it's not a terribly cost-effective option) on their best night of the week just to screen ballet.

Unfortunately, since the RB rarely does Sunday matinees, and there seems to be a great keenness to ensure that the transmissions are live rather than recorded, I don't think you'll get your way. And I really can't see cinemas being prepared to sacrifice one screen for a few hours (bearing in mind that you need to clear plenty of time around the performance, rather than running another film which ends 20 miutes beforehand, so it's not a terribly cost-effective option) on their best night of the week just to screen ballet.

But the Met cinecasts are always Saturday evenings in the UK.

Yes, and look how much they cost. They're an extra £10 on top of the RB ones. That probably makes all the difference. And anyway, it's "like it or lump it" where the Met are concerned, isn't it?

Anyone want to discuss Fille on this thread? :D

• Like 1

My friend from Ireland, who was so disappointed when Polunin's resignation meant that she wasn't going to see him in the 'Fille' she had booked for, saw Yohei and Maloney instead on Wednesday, and simply raved about Yohei (but was cooler about Maloney). We're going together next week to the Odeon in St. Martin's Lane to see the Marquez/McRea broadcast and I promised that I would print out any Balletco reviews or comments about the performance she saw, so please, those of you who saw Wednesday's performance, post something about it!

Thank you in advance...

There was a pleasure to be had in last night's performance of Fille that is sadly in danger of becoming notable by its absence on the RoH stage of late: namely a technically gifted young dancer delivering the choregraphic challenges of Colas with aplomb and insouciant ease. McRae and Marquez displayed an excitement and enthusiasm that lifted the whole company and filled the stage with joy. It was not all bravura and show : the quiet moments were expressed with tender affection and Roberta Marquez's naughty Lise embued McRae with a sense of warmth that he sometimes lacks. A worthy supporting cast with a notable Alain from Ondiviela. A pat on the back to McRae's make-up artist who toned down the over liberal use of eye shadow, presumably for the cameras, although I hope he keeps it that way.

• Like 1