Royal Ballet, La Fille mal gardée, 2012

Agree with Anna; it was a joyous, fizzing and very funny evening; everything worked perfectly, Naughty Peregrine behaved himself, the bum lift seemed to last forever, there were no ribbon or scenery mishaps and the dancing and characterisation were wonderful. The only place where Anna and I diverge is Ludo's Alain; he didn't have the pathos that in my view Alain should have, and didn't move me at all. His was more a purely comic version, which to me misses the point. Very well danced by him, though, and my niggle is but a small one for an evening that I hope can be repeated next week for everyone watching in cinemas; I am very lucky that I will be there again and I can't wait.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid most of the Marquez & McRae performance left me cold and unmoved. Not only were there times when Marquez couldn't manage the choreography (which sometimes happens when she's having a bad day), the lack of "Ashton" in their performance screamed at me. It was often like a Russian "look at me" show and there were a number of places where they weren't in time with each other or the music. I was, however, very impressed with McRae's solos (which are pure show-off territory anyhow) and Marquez's act 2 mime was simply delicious.

I thought Ondiviela's Alain was superb. I had the benefit of a front row seat and could see every tiny detail of his performance and felt he captured the right balance of comedy & pathos. Perhaps some of this might not have travelled further into the auditorium?

Mosley's Simone is kind and gently witty. Almost in time on the clog dance and precise everywhere else, his performance is very entertaining and warm.

Another great performance from the corps, barring a minor hiccup with the maypole ribbons when someone grabbed the wrong one but, hey! Peregrine also on fine fettle.

My final comment is on McRae's hair. I know Colas is a country boy but must he look like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards?

I think that there is a general lack of Ashton in the company at the moment, not only with this couple....the exception being Marianela. Maybe it was something to do with the seats indeed (I was up in the amphi) but I have strong binoculars and watched Ludovico carefully, and he just didn't move me at all. I didn't notice that Roberta couldn't manage the choreography; in which parts? From where I was sitting, she seemed to manage fine, although she isn't a Nela or an Alina technically (but who is besides Nela and Alina?!). Her balances were strong and confident, her footwork was good and their pdd were lovely. I loved her characterisation throughout. Anyway, to each their own....how boring if we all had the same perceptions!

Hi,this is my first post, thought I would delurk and say how much I enjoyed fille last night.

This is the second cast i,ve seen in this run , the other was Acosta and Nunez,(mum's choice of cast not mine).

I shall be watching the live relay from nottingham on wednesday with some friends, I hope it's as good then.

• Like 2

I'm afraid most of the Marquez & McRae performance left me cold and unmoved. Not only were there times when Marquez couldn't manage the choreography (which sometimes happens when she's having a bad day), the lack of "Ashton" in their performance screamed at me. It was often like a Russian "look at me" show and there were a number of places where they weren't in time with each other or the music. I was, however, very impressed with McRae's solos (which are pure show-off territory anyhow) and Marquez's act 2 mime was simply delicious.

I thought Ondiviela's Alain was superb. I had the benefit of a front row seat and could see every tiny detail of his performance and felt he captured the right balance of comedy & pathos. Perhaps some of this might not have travelled further into the auditorium?

Mosley's Simone is kind and gently witty. Almost in time on the clog dance and precise everywhere else, his performance is very entertaining and warm.

Another great performance from the corps, barring a minor hiccup with the maypole ribbons when someone grabbed the wrong one but, hey! Peregrine also on fine fettle.

My final comment is on McRae's hair. I know Colas is a country boy but must he look like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards?

Gosh - we didn't see the same show in many respects. I certainly agree that Roberta is not one of the most technically able principal ballerinas in the company but apart from the fouettes in Act 1 her dancing seemed solid to me and her characterisation certainly made up for any shortcomings. I can't say I particularly noticed that Marquez/McRae were out of time with each other or the music either. To the extent there was an element of "look at me" it was fun in the way that Russian Don Q's are fun ! I thought the corps were better than in the other performances of Fille this season but the men still don't seem to be able to jump up and land together.

And as for the hair - I liked it !

Edited by annamk

I'm mainly in agreement with Anna on this. I thought McRae and Marquez were joyful and brought a real lightness and sweetnes to Fille last night. I agree that Marquez is not the strongest principal technically, but their characterisation rose above that and the warmth between them combined with Marquez' funny act 2 and McRae's incredble solos made me leave the theatre with a big smile on my face and a strong urge to dance all the way home.

I also saw Morera/Cervera earlier in the run. At the time I was so busy that I didn't have time to write up my thoughts. But I decided that as I was seeing two casts I'd write about both at once. Though now it comes to it, my head is so full of McRae/Marquez that I'm afraid I've forgotten most of what I wanted to say about the other cast. I do remember that I loved their performance, though, and am beginning to think that there isn't much Morera can't do. She's a brilliant actress and very strong on the technical side from what I've seen in everything she's danced in recently (especially the dramatic role in Sweet Violets!).

As someone mentioned earlier, I didn't at all like the thunderstorm sound effects. The thing I love so much about that scene is that it creates all the 'special effects' of a storm through movement and choreography! Adding sound effects really takes away from that and isn't necessary.

Oh, and I liked McRae's hair :)

thanks Alison,I've been meaning to post for ages.I came home on such a high last night -sorry this morning I mean, I'm still a little groggy!

Hope I can put some clearer thoughts together tomorrw. But for now, just wanted to say I liked McRae's hair too.

Saw the live cinema broadcast of ‘Fille’ last night at the nearest link to the ROH itself – the Odeon in Shaftesbury Avenue - accompanied by my friend Marie, who is visiting from Ireland. She was the important one, having booked to see Polunin as Colas and then been somewhat disappointed at his replacement earlier this month. . Happily she was enchanted as I was myself by the Marquez/McRae pairing last night. We were a bit dubious at first – the cockerel and hens opener looked odd, the background seeemed cramped-looking and dark but we guessed this was a transmission fault - there was absolutely nothing wrong with the dancing, which was performed as wittily as it usually is. Though the fault cleared, Marquez’s opening solo seemed to lack fluidity, but gosh - how she improved, how she sparked into brilliant life when her lively Colas appeared! Marquez and McRae were a dream team, seeming to draw out the best in each other in both their pas-de-deux and even in their solos.

Marie was quite bowled over by Steven, but though I could see the control and easy brilliance of his dancing I couldn’t help feeling somewhat put off by his obvious ‘showing off’ He’ll get over it soon, I know, but meantime it’s distracting and he doesn’t need it – his dancing speaks for itself. This ‘showing off’ thing could of course be just my personal view – we had something of an argument about it over coffee after the performance, but neither of us convinced the other!

I loved Ludo Ondiviela’s sweet – and rather pretty –Alain (has some new and good choreography been added for him?) Philip Mosley’s Widow Simone – entirely uncamp – strayed into bullying rather than bossing at times, but was never less than a loving mother to Lise . Seeing ‘Fille’ up close and personal in cinema conditions meant that it was possible to catch what often can’t be seen in the theatre - the wonderful small details, the touches, gestures, meaningful looks etc -.with which the dancers flesh out their performances.

What a terrific thing these live ballet and opera transmissions are! Coming at a time when we really need something positive in our lives,-they’re opening up the arts to us all – or to most of us - no matter where we live. Long may they be with us!

• Like 3

I,m glad you and your friend enjoyed fille, re steven`s showing off I do agree a little. I tend to think he sometimes gets caught up in the music and the moment.On wednesday night I felt he went into hyper drive ,feeding off the adrenelin no doubt ! I agree he will settle down but there seems to be so little opportunity to show what he can really do he seizes the moment.I thought steven gave a very mature performance of romeo earlier this year perfectly in character so I know he can do it.

I think McRae is starting to tone it down a bit - either that, or I'm getting inured to him :)

Not wanting to finish on a negative note, but I did very much miss 2 people among the Friends (of both sexes) this run. I was also disappointed that we didn't get a chance to see Tom Whitehead as Widow Simone: from what we saw in rehearsal, I thought he'd be very good in the part.

I wish we could have had Gary Avis as the Widow. Ah well, maybe next time. I'm so glad I was at this performance on Wednesday night; it was wonderful. Like Alison, I also think McRae as toned down recently. Perhaps now that he no longer has competition from Polunin he is bit more relaxed! He is a brilliant technician andI am always delighted to watch him, as long as he doesn't drown the choreography, which I don't think he did here. I think he enhanced it by showing how complicated Ashton's choreography is in Fille, whilst making it look so easy at the same time.

Royal Ballet: please, please, PLEASE release this as a DVD!!

• Like 1

What did bother me - as it did last time round - is McRae's waistcoats! He wears them the other way round (chronologically, I mean!) from everyone else, as far as I can see: the floral one first, and then the dark shiny one in the final act, and I've no idea why. It's not a problem (although it makes me do a double-take each time), except for the fact that he changes while he's in Lise's bedroom. Is this daughter even less well guarded than we thought, if her boyfriend keeps a change of clothes in her room? Tut tut :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love Steven McRae showing off. Sorry if this doesn't make me a purist but talent of his ilk does not come along too often - and I want to see it I remember Tamara Rojo commenting that her ability to hold on point in Swan Lake had been criticised for not going with the musicality, but that she felt that as she had the technique to achieve this, she should - and I completely agree. Few dancers have this ability and it is breathtaking. Agnes Oakes in Swan Lake was another example. I remember one performance at the Albert Hall where she was simply astonishing both with the fouettes and the holding on point in Act 3. AAArrhh, I have seen loads of ballet performances and those are the ones I remember. Steven McRae will live in my memory in both La Fille and La Sylphide - long may it continue......and then there was Les Patineurs, the BlueBird - he lights up the stage.

• Like 3

I agree with everything said by Jenny. I love Steven McRae's performances and it is not just showing off. he has the talent and technique to support his possible flamboyance. it is this combination of personality and technique which makes his performances truly memorable to me. Clement Crisp said he is the second best James he has ever seen (never heard of his first choice) and I agree. it is a great pity his performance wasn't recorded for the cinema as there isn't already a recording of the Royal ballet's Sylphide and if ticket sales were disappointing they may not do it again for a while. This is a shame as I think they are the only UK company who perform it and it is a great classical ballet.

As regards the waistcoats in la Fille. I think it is better to have the floral waistcoat first and the classier dark one for the final pas de deux.

Already looking forward to seeing him in some of the full-length ballets later on next season. Joan

• Like 3

Steven is a very intelligent and wonderful dancer. I am a great admirer. Wasn't he once told he would never become a Principal (because he was too short)? About his so-called showing-off: if he was Russian it would be admired. It's not a Russian prerogative!

• Like 2