The Royal Ballet: The Winter's Tale, Spring 2014

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do they need someone presenting? I reckon Kevin, Chris and Joby could have just interviewed each other, in conversation mode. They all seemed to come across pretty well to me

There wasn't a presenter at the Swan Lake broadcast that I saw in February and it was fine. They showed the three YouTube clips, and in the long interval they just showed the auditorium and were running a countdown; they turned on the lights in the cinema so we could read or do other stuff if we wanted to. I much preferred that to listening to Darcey Bussell struggling through her presenting, although I wouldn't have objected to someone who could articulate their knowledge better and had a less irritating speaking voice.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 2

Surely these people weren't all spending a presumably not inconsiderable sum of money just to watch Darcey presenting for a few minutes?!

You would think. But most of the comments I saw were about Darcey's absence. I think it might have just been that one person mentioned it so other people reading the page felt inspired to agree, but I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a single mention of the two principals dancing. Maybe we've got to the point where people need to be spoonfed stuff about what they're seeing or they don't know what they're seeing. Or perhaps they weren't familiar with Yanowsky and Kish and felt cheated that they weren't being given someone famous; maybe they'd have been happier with the more high-profile Nunez/Soares cast and wouldn't have needed their dose of celebrity on top of it. I was really surprised by those comments (and unfortunately that page is no longer there), but there you go.

Edited by Melody

I saw the WT at the cinema my local was practically full which is fabulous!  Act2 was my favourite I found Act1 too darkly lit but I believe it was brighter in the flesh in the theatre - the same happened with the Don Q Act2 dream scene which was especially dark in the cinema version so a lighting issue for the IT bods me thinks.  Overall glad I saw WT but won't rush to see it again.

Darcey oh dear get some presentation skill courses booked or hire Deborah Bull the weird intonation of her speech was most off putting and her questions non existent as if she wasn't prepared - the Bolshoi's Ms Novikova is fabulous in comparison and in 3 languages too! 

• Like 1

I too saw Cast 2 last night and felt they compared favourably overall to Cast 1 (can we stop calling them that please).  I loved Bennet Gartside and Marianela and would go so far to say that this was the best performance of Bennet's career. I've seen both casts once and a rehearsal so am getting my eye in and I found last night the most moving experience so far. Bennet is a less extrovert Leontes than Ed Watson but there was a deep emotion there and as I was seated near the front, I could see the expressions on his face. Act 3 was particularly memorable and that final pdd was superb.  

For me this has been very special, as partly as a reaction to some ill health,  I was beguiled and then chose to join the Winter's Tale Syndicate - the first time I have even done such a thing, and a big decision. This has meant I have been privileged to see behind the scenes as the production has developed, and my goodness me, do I feel I have hit the jackpot. We have a new 3 act serious story ballet which is a major triumph and I think, can only get even better. The detail of the creation behind the scenes is unbelievable, with the crowning glory being the tree of course with every ornament adorning it hand made. 

I'm going again tomorrow - so sad it will the last time for the moment. 

• Like 11

I can't help feeling sorry for Darcey when I read this thread. I would imagine Darcey got the job by being invited by 'the powers that be'. No doubt she was persuaded, flattered and hugely complimented as to her 'rightness' for the job.

• Like 1

Agree with above poster........much rather see comments about the ballet but a lesson for me too in being more disciplined where threads are concerned.

Will comment later on the ballet but agree with others about that last pas de deux it was really beautiful and moving on Tuesday and is the one that remains most in my memory.

I thoroughly enjoyed this ballet and will comment more later.

Agree with above poster........much rather see comments about the ballet but a lesson for me too in being more disciplined where threads are concerned.

But if people are going to see the live performance in a cinema, then surely they are entitle to comment about the overall experience?

Which includes the lighting, sound, seats, and the presenter? 

• Like 3

Well, thank-you Fonty.  It is OF COURSE the all-round experience that is part of the evening.  Normally at the ROH the ballet is the focus but for those of us in the cinema on Monday, we had a  lot of time to contemplate the 'extras.'

I don't feel sorry for Darcey who is a hugely disciplined lady, lately pursuing a media career with huge determination.  She had plenty of time to prepare for this gig and I am frankly amazed that a professional of her calibre, operating on her home ground, could not take the time and trouble to master the basic techniques of interviewing.  For those of us in the cinema, the links could have been an important and educating part of the performance which could help to bring in and maintain the interest of new audiences.  

• Like 9

Okay yes you are probably right to comment as a whole experience on the cinema event but it's just that there has been a lot said about Darcey and her presenting skills (or lack of) quite recently......on another thread here......maybe the tv programme one.....and I thought here we go again......a bit of what appears to be an anti Darcey lobby!!

• Like 1

Well, to add my tuppence-worth : whilst the ballet was magnificent we were hugely disappointed (and almost embarrassed) by the presentation and links as so many here have said. I have emailed the ROH about it on the "What did you think of the Cinema" thread - can't remember its exact name - and I see that NO-ONE else has done so. Surely we should??

• Like 1

Well, to add my tuppence-worth : whilst the ballet was magnificent we were hugely disappointed (and almost embarrassed) by the presentation and links as so many here have said. I have emailed the ROH about it on the "What did you think of the Cinema" thread - can't remember its exact name - and I see that NO-ONE else has done so. Surely we should??

I think that thread is possibly edited...:)

Just reading the comments, it is interesting that you are the only one who has mentioned the presenter at all.  Maybe everyone else went out for an ice cream in the interval?

what? At cinema prices? Are you MAD!!!!>??

Well I thought I'd add a comment on the ROH comments thread to the same effect about the broadcast being marvellous but-rather than saying the presenter was very bad,- that they need a new one!(subtly trying to be less horrible)

Because actually it is important...

• Like 2

I didn't see the broadcast, but it's odd that Darcey was apparently so poor as she has been fine in the television programmes which I have seen her in. I assume that what made the difference was that all the interviews were live on Monday evening. I think that the RB should show her the recording and suggest that she prepare better in future. Doing live interviews can't be easy but preparation will almost certainly improve them. 

• Like 1

what? At cinema prices? Are you MAD!!!!>??

£1.75. Isn't that half the ROH price these days? (I don't know, I never buy them there). And believe me, Dave, if you'd been in my cinema you'd have been desperate for an ice cream.

• Like 1

I didn't see the broadcast, but it's odd that Darcey was apparently so poor as she has been fine in the television programmes which I have seen her in. I assume that what made the difference was that all the interviews were live on Monday evening. I think that the RB should show her the recording and suggest that she prepare better in future. Doing live interviews can't be easy but preparation will almost certainly improve them.

I didn't see the broadcast either on Monday but from reading reviews of the new ITV breakfast show that started this week it looks like live tv can be a struggle for presenters, even for those with hours of previous experience.

• Like 1

£1.75. Isn't that half the ROH price these days? (I don't know, I never buy them there). And believe me, Dave, if you'd been in my cinema you'd have been desperate for an ice cream.

I don't eat sugary treats like ice-cream but I was shocked at the price of my diet coke.  The smallest size was £3.25 and it was half full of ice.  I'm sure that's more than the ROH charges.

I think Darcey Bussell did better this time

As I said in my review, I thought the interview with Wheeldon was useful. I also think Darcey Bussell might be good if she participated in the broadcast in some other way. She is not a natural presenter and I don't think she will ever be as good as Pathe Live's presenter but I am always interested in what she has to say about ballet.

I don't think her outfit did her any favours but who am I to judge? If she liked it well that's all that matters.

I am really grateful for that transmission because it enabled me to appreciate a work that has previously left me cold. I hate dissing work on which artists have invested a lot of effort.

simonbfisher:  I have emailed the ROH, also on the cinema thread.  The first time my comment was removed, a fresh one has been waiting moderation for 24hrs but is still up.

I don't know about DB 'doing better this time'.  What on earth was she like before?  This is not amateur night at the local village hall, these are big, expensive and important broadcasts going worldwide.  As for being interested in what she says about ballet - she didn't say anything!

• Like 6

I saw this ballet on Tuesday and really enjoyed it. This was the Nunez/Gartside/Morera casting and I could not fault any of the performances all the dancers in the main roles I thought were perfect in them. Each Act had its own distinct feel and I thought all of the special effects were well done including the bear scene......it was left to the imagination that the bear was in pursuit and rather hungry.....it looked menacing enough!

The second act was a brilliant contrast to the first Act with some heartfelt dancing from Stix- Brunell and Muntagirov both very convincing and the third Act had that beautiful pas de deux of part reconciliation which was very finely danced by Nunez and Gartside on Tuesday.....very moving.

I thought the music was okay in the end....... it had some interesting and high moments.....throughout the ballet.... (eg the beginning of Act two and the final pas de deux) ....but not particularly powerful or memorable but may prove more so on more hearings. Impossible to take in completely on one attendance.

I liked the costumes and sets......nothing grated and the tree was stunning I thought. In general I thought the lighting was very effective and in the theatre did not come across as too dark(unlike Raven Girl for example)

The only thing I thought was not quite so well done was in the first Act when first the child and then Hermione dies.....in rapid succession.....I thought more could have been made of this perhaps a little more of a mother lamenting a sick child.....as without the programme notes it wasn't that obvious that he was sick and Hermione seemed hardly to have had time to take this in before she was dead herself! So some dramatic tension lost there I feel. The boy was marvellous though a little star at such a young age to manage to convey his feelings to an audience in the way he did.

Anyway a lovely new ballet to see for now but will have to see how it stands up on several viewings but at the moment will be very happy to see again.

I don't know about DB 'doing better this time'.  What on earth was she like before? ........................

I regret to say I found her presentations of Don Quixote and Giselle laboured and superficial.   This was much better.

................................ As for being interested in what she says about ballet - she didn't say anything!

Not on Monday but her programme on the great ballerinas for the BBC Ballet Season was very interesting.

Instead of Ms Bussell, what about Ms Collier? Now there's a thought......

The presenter should be a broadcaster rather than a dancer and the job does not have to go to a woman.

I've had a brainwave- Jeremy Paxman! He's looking for a new job isn't  he? and goes to the ballet I believe occasionally.

Imagine it- "So, Mr O'Hare, you SAY the production might come back the year after next , but that's not much good to audiences is  it?"

:-)

• Like 13

Instead of Ms Bussell, what about Ms Collier? Now there's a thought......

Just a suggestion:  What about the Met's technique of offering hosting by other featured performers involved in and around the company.  I could see Laura Morera and Ricardo Cervera doing nicely in that regard for example in terms of relaxed informed relay and wit ... Also it would show the wonderful international mix involved with the Royal Ballet (much, say, as Domingo, Nebtrebko and Desee do when in such service at the Met).... introduce people who international viewers (the bulk of any such audience) may well see in other relays ... and allow those individual artist/presenters the opportunity to draw fresh prospects out of those being interviewed (again much as is the case at the Met).  In specific regard of The Winter's Tale both of those named (Morera/Cervera - a Prinicpal and leading Soloist) were, themselves, in the alternate cast.  I didn't see the cinema relay ... but I would have thought a brief interview with Bennet Gartside would have been warranted ... given that he originated a smaller role but had to step (magnificently it must be said) into the lead.  

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 2

Bennet Gartside is very good at stepping into leading roles as he proved before in Mayerling.  I admire any dancer capable of upping his game in the way he does.

• Like 5

My goodness everybody is freely having a go at Darcey Bussell!

Is there a contradiction here with the way that dance performances themselves are generally discussed on the forum and elsewhere? Most comments are pretty happy in nature and harsh words are but rarely said - it seems rather reverential. But dancers and creatives are just doing a job in the same way that Bussell is.

I have to say I rather like the idea of a forum that gracefully talks about the negatives as well as positives of performances. Half the performances I see are not as good as the other half, but judged by Social Media and forums like this one 80-90% of performances are stonkingly brill. I overemphasise, somewhat, for effect of course!

• Like 2

Just a suggestion:  What about the Met's technique of offering hosting by other featured performers involved in and around the company.  .................

Another good idea.

The company that transmits the broadcasts from the Met is Pathé Live which is also the company that transmits the Bolshoi from Moscow. I think they are quite justified in describing themselves as "Leader de la diffusion de spectacles vivants et d’événements dans les salles de cinémas."  

If the Royal Opera House can get out of its contract with whoever it is using right now it should consider outsourcing its transmissions to Pathé Live and then we might get the same elegant, knowledgeable and personable presenter who does the Bolshoi's shows.

I feel that people are critical of DB because, unlike the dancers, creatives etc, she has been chosen for this role because of who she is rather than for her ability to do the job.

I think everybody is chosen for everything based on a lot of different attributes and skills. Just because an AD chooses a choreographer for many good reasons, including 'big name', that does not mean success will be delivered. ditto when choreographer casts the piece.

I do feel on the whole that Bussell has come in for a lot more stick than her performance actually deserves (unsatisfactory though it admittedly is).   At least she's learned her lines, has a beautiful smile, and can only get better, something we should bear in mind given the heart-sinking possibility that - thanks to Strictly Come Whatsit - she may be a permanent replacement for the infinitely superior Deborah Bull.

• Like 1