The Royal Ballet: The Winter's Tale, Spring 2014

The last time I saw a ballet at Clapham Picturehouse the ticket cost £20 plus a £1.60 booking fee and I'm not sure that it was a live transmission either. I don't go to the cinema much and now that my second child is almost at the age when she can go on her own (with friends) I will shortly be going even less, but perhaps I should look into membership.

Edited by aileen

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to Cineworld in Enfield, North London and pay £11.43 being a senior citizen and my freedom pass gets me their and back for nothing. They get a good turn out too with the staff very attentive with cast lists, ice cream and other goodies being sold in the cinema during the interval.

Watford Palace Theatre show the various live transmissions very successfully, apart from regular - if fairly well spaced - very short dropouts of sound.  They charge £15 per ticket plus a booking fee of £1.50. 

Like Alison above, my experience of RB Giselle and Bolshoi Lost Illusions and Marco Spada bears out the view that there is a bigger audience for RB productions.  I wonder why, since A Winter's Tale is just as much an unknown quantity to most of the people there as the two Bolshoi ballets.

I found the sound level for Winter's Tale was uncomfortably loud - something that was not apparent in my other three visits. I wonder if this was a matter of the volume as transmitted, rather than the 'fault' of the theatre projection equipment.

I also found Darcey embarrassing as presenter, especially when compared with Katya Novikova at the Bolshoi.  Surely the audience is not influenced in its decision to attend just because she might be presenting it?  In any country?

It was great to see a full house in the Ipswich Cineworld last night for the live screening of “The Winter’s Tale”. Good to see so many rows of young people, too – I think there might have been a party booking organised by Dance East.

It’s a really lovely ballet  - dramatic, colourful, spectacular and, at times, almost unbearably heart-wrenching. Congratulations to Mr Wheeldon and his team for producing such an accomplished piece of dance theatre. I love the play – I met my wife in a student production of it – and I’ve seen it several times since. This production does full justice to the original work, and is a fitting 450th birthday present to the Bard.

Lauren Cuthberston was an eye-opener for me. Rarely have I seen a dancer inhabit a role so perfectly – such nobility and serenity in the face of the ignominies inflicted on her – and she is given some ravishing steps to perform.

Edward Watson carried off Leontes well, I thought. It’s a difficult part for any actor because his jealousy comes out of nowhere, like a bolt form the blue. The play has exactly the same problem. Unlike some, I didn’t feel that Watson went over the top in terms of his emotional responses – it was the steps rather than his expressions that just occasionally pushed the performance towards “silent movie” melodrama.

The corps were given plenty of real dancing to do (hurray!), the silken drop cloths and video effects were stunning, and even the appearance of the bear didn’t disappoint – which I thought it might after reading the reviews. Perhaps it was one of those things that came off better on screen than in the theatre, where poor sightlines can easily mar the effect.

Beautiful dancing from Sarah Lamb and Steven McRea, carrying off some extraordinary lifts in an Act II that simply burst with the joys of spring, and believable, committed performances from the whole company. Sad that Gary Avis, as the kindly father shepherd, and Valentino Zucchetti and Beatrice Stix-Brunell as swain and shepherdess weren’t credited in the programme given out. Everyone, I think, has mentioned Zenaida Yanowsky’s outstanding performance as Paulina – the compassionate but unyielding moral centre of the piece.

There were definite echoes of Trevor Nunn’s 1969 production for the RSC, which I saw a schoolboy: the quick lighting changes to show the contrast between Hermione and Polixenes’ innocent dalliances and the carnal couplings witnessed inside Leontes’ head, the prominence of a rocking horse in Mamillius’s nursery and the “Bohemian” costumes  – I could swear that Florizel wore the same colour “burnt orange” trousers.

I really enjoyed the music – but what a pity that the wondrous musical climax Joby Talbot had  provided to crown the “recognition” scene was played over a black-out –and all too obviously so that everyone could change costume for the wedding. For me, Act 3 was the weakest theatrically, apart from the final pas de deux, and does need some tweaking. The statue scene, for some reason, didn’t quite come off – not sure why, but I don’t think the moving steps helped as they added a slightly comic touch. I couldn't help picturing a stage-hand crouching behind the pedestal waiting to push them on.

Is anyone else surprised that this ballet hasn’t been given an automatic revival next season? Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland was, and IMHO The Winter’s Tale is superior on all fronts.

James

• Like 1

I went to see this performance at Wandsworth Cineworld last night.  The sound went shortly after Act II started.  Then the picture went, came back on, went off, came on and then went altogether.  I have not felt so disappointed in a long time. To the cinemas credit we all got refunds or complimentary tickets, as the ticket wasn't cheap at  £16.92.

I had thought It was so nice just walking for 10 minutes from my home and sitting in a nice seat with a lovely well behaved audience.  I thought  as I sat down it was too good to be true and it was.

I loved this ballet and have not been so impressed by anything in a long time. I loved Act I.  I don't know if it was because I could see the dancers so clearly, I don't have very good eyesight.  I used to sit in row N in the amphi but I wouldn't even consider sitting up there now, as I can not see who is on the stage.  

After reading mixed reviews I wasn't really expecting too much, but I can honestly say I was 'blown away' by the strength of the acting particularly by Edward Watson, Lauren Cuthbertson and Zenaida Yanowsky.  They were very moving and the scene where Paulina was trying to introduce Perdita as a baby to Leontes was outstanding.

I can't really comment on Act II, except to say I now understand why people say they feel 'gutted'.  Even as I watched the rest of the audience leave I kept hoping against hope the satelite link would reconnect.  From what  I did see I would say Steven McRae's dancing was outstanding as usual, but I saw a bit and then the transmission was cut for good.

If this does come out on dvd I will be the first in line to see it, that is for sure.  I agree with what everyone has said about the costumes, looking at Perdita's dress and the sweat marks was a bit distracting and Florizel's trousers.

However, all in all from what I did see, Christopher Wheeldon has produced an amazing production. I hope this does get a second run as the cinema had given us all the pamphlet outside with a synopsis of the story, so I was really looking forward to the reunion between Leontes and Hermione, in Act III.  Instead I was queuing in the lobby to get my money back.

Oh, Katie, I'm so sorry for you.  I wonder if there's any chance of the cinema scheduling a re-showing?  I know that was an option for Giselle earlier this year, albeit due to high demand rather than technical failures.

I'm hoping it'll be on TV (probably) over Christmas, too, as with Alice.

I didn't see last night's cinema transmission but, reading all this praise, I have to commend the Royal Ballet for doing so well in the wake of the tragic death of their colleague Emma Maguire's mother Anne yesterday morning (see News item).

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6728-emma-maguire/

Bennet Gartside has tweeted that he's dedicating tonight's performance to Anne's memory.

I have no doubt that it will come back very soon, probably early in the 2015/16 season. It has been a critical success, and all the performances have been sold out or virtually sold out, which is very impressive for a new ballet based on a difficult Shakespeare play.

There's an article on the Royal Ballet School website about the former and current Junior Associates in the production, and it mentions Joe Parker (no details beyond saying that he's nine):

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2014/04/winters-tale-starring-junior-associates/

I found this from his ballet school, saying he'd been accepted into JA's; looks as though he's from the Torquay area. I think this is the same school that Lauren Cuthbertson attended; not sure if that's significant.

http://www.buckinghamdancestudios.com/

Joe Parker did indeed dance for several years at the Buckingham Dance School in Paignton, the same school that Lauren Cuthbertson attended.  His family moved to the Cambridge area where he now studies at the Colours Of Dance School in Cambridge run by Imogen Knight.  

I can confidently tell you he is no relation to the dancer of the same surname.

I also found Darcey embarrassing as presenter, especially when compared with Katya Novikova at the Bolshoi.  Surely the audience is not influenced in its decision to attend just because she might be presenting it?  In any country?

I noticed on the Fathom Events website page for the Swan Lake showing back in February that almost all the comments were people complaining that Darcey wasn't presenting, and how it had spoiled the evening for them that Darcey wasn't there. There wasn't a word about Kish and Yanowsky, who were doing the actual dancing, it was all Darcey, Darcey, I miss Darcey, where's Darcey?!?!?!

So apparently in the USA she seems to be one of the main reasons for people going to the cinema to watch the Royal Ballet. Can't imagine why - I found her really irritating last month at the Sleeping Beauty broadcast - but maybe it's because she's a big-name celebrity.

I did notice a lot of complaints over at Twitter last night, from regular audience members and a few people in the ballet world, but I'm afraid that her celebrity status has probably got her cemented in that slot for as long as she wants it. Being pretty and famous is, these days, a better recommendation than knowing what you're doing.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 2

Bad luck Kate I feel for you. How frustrating. It is worth letting the ROH know as they have a team who liaise with the cinema chains. It is in all their interests to improve matters for next season- perhaps at least you can use your free ticket for Manon in the autumn.

So agree, Melody.  But if she really is a fixture, why doesn't ROH work to improve her technique - very ordinary things like holding the microphone the right distance from her mouth, would help.  I thought it was amazing that all the people she interviewed could manage it, but she couldn't.  What I was most struck by was that she appeared totally disengaged with the subject.  It's a poor show.  What were they saying on Twitter?

So agree, Melody.  But if she really is a fixture, why doesn't ROH work to improve her technique - very ordinary things like holding the microphone the right distance from her mouth, would help.  I thought it was amazing that all the people she interviewed could manage it, but she couldn't.  What I was most struck by was that she appeared totally disengaged with the subject.  It's a poor show.  What were they saying on Twitter?

This pretty well sums it up:

Analysing all the comments about lIve relay #ROHTale there is little support for Darcey Bussell's presenting & interviewing skills....

I seem to recall at some point during the buttock clenching embarrassment that was Viva la Diva, Darcey said she found it nerve-wracking to be speaking and singing-the latter was conveniently inaudible so she need not have worried-on stage. Presumably she received some training in these new forms of projection and she now has quite a prolific t.v/presenting career, so one would expect her to have got over any nerves and be on top of her game. 

We do seem to live in a world where, as has been said, if you are pretty and famous, you can present almost anything no matter how limited your knowledge and/or skills. I wish there could be a turn around in this general dumbing down. It reminds me a little of people ringing the ROH to ask which performances of Swan Lake would be danced by Natalie Portman, so there is obviously an audience  for this kind of approach. But where does it leave the rest of us?

As for The Winter's Tale last Saturday, I would add  that when it does return, I very much hope they will see fit to put the matinees on at a more reasonable time,12pm is far too early for anyone who has to travel some distance and who cannot stay overnight for various reasons, not least financial. It didn't spoil the day because I didn't let it but I missed my usual opportunity to relax with a coffee and look at the programme. These things matter after a long journey and make a difference to how one perceives the performance. Well, they do to me anyway.

• Like 4

Not to remind (or introduce)  the audience who "he" (Mr Kevin O'Hare) is and calling him a "regular" ....to a worldwide audience....

I have no words for this. She is a bad presenter full stop and doesn't do the international image of the RB any justice. 

I think perhaps because it had a lot more performances up-front, James - getting on for twice as many as Alice had first time around. I expect it will be back in the next-but-one season.

Thanks, Alison. I hadn't realised that Alice had had so few performances on its first outing.

James

I agree with all the comments about Darcey, I found her patronising treatment of Kevin O'Hare excruciating.

I watched at Cineworld, Middlesbrough (just £11.43, as Cineworld gives 10% discount for on-line booking, plus senior concessions, no booking fee). The audience was larger than I expected, three quarters full, and there were quite a few people who applauded.

I agree with some earlier comments about how well the ballet came over on the screen, even the MacMillanesque contortions for Leontes, which had seemed to me, when I saw it at last Saturday's matinee, exaggerated. Ed's performance was absolutely stunning, both his dancing and acting and Zenaida, too, should get an Oscar. It felt like watching a film!

• Like 1

I thought the final performance by 'cast two' last night was truly wonderful.  Perhaps because of the sad and tragic news the company has had to deal with in the space of 24 hours, the dancers all seemed to dance with even more passion, emotion and commitment than usual.  I don't have time to write much now, but this was sadly my only viewing of this cast and I must say they spoke to me much more.  I thought that Lauren and Zen were stunning in the first cast, but as an ensemble I thought the Nunez/Gartside cast worked better.  I agree with other posters that Vadim and Beatriz were more convincing as young people in the first flush of love, and the final pdd between Nunez and Gartside was incredibly moving and left me with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.  I loved his interpretation of Leontes;  to me it was a more believable slide into madness, making his final remorse and redemption more understandable (and acceptable).  Marianela Nunez was wonderful, giving a very nuanced and intelligent rendering of Hermione.  The scene in which she forgives Leontes and is reunited with Perdita said more than words ever could. 

For the ballet's next outing, I would like to see 'the bear scene' improved.  Although I could finally see it properly (from centre-mid amphi), the exit wasn't pursued by the bear....Antigonus simply runs off the stage.  Can't the sheet envelop him at least?  It isn't clear that the bear gets him;  it looks like he escapes!   Also, I agree with others that the scene wherein Leontes finds his daughter is too rushed;  surely some of Act 2 could be cut back a bit to allow even a short 'reconciliation' pdd between father and daughter?  This is, after all, a huge moment in the play! 

I must say this ballet has gone in a bit of an arc for me.  I wasn't at all sure about it on the first night but now, a couple of weeks and a few views later, I must say it has grown on me and I now like it very much indeed, and would definitely go and see it again next time it comes back into rep.

• Like 3

I found her patronising treatment of Kevin O'Hare excruciating.

Yes so did I, and found it demeaning.  She greatly irritated me when presenting previous world relays. Compare with the professionalism of the Bolshoi cinema presenter (I am afraid I don't know her name), her high standards and knowledge reflect so well on the Bolshoi! 

I noticed on the Fathom Events website page for the Swan Lake showing back in February that almost all the comments were people complaining that Darcey wasn't presenting, and how it had spoiled the evening for them that Darcey wasn't there. There wasn't a word about Kish and Yanowsky, who were doing the actual dancing, it was all Darcey, Darcey, I miss Darcey, where's Darcey?!?!?!

Surely these people weren't all spending a presumably not inconsiderable sum of money just to watch Darcey presenting for a few minutes?!

• Like 1