Upper school audition results 2014

Frangapani

alwaysbroke, sometimes what people say is the unfortunate truth, not that they are trying to be horrid.  As far as I know, dancers from Northern Ballet School tend to go into commercial work such as cruise ships rather than ballet, no matter which course they are on.  There was a member who posted here a couple of years ago about the reality of her dd's audition journey looking for jobs. If you do a search - probably under Northern Ballet School you might find it.

• Like 1

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was at Northern,a million years ago,I distinctly remember how they loved the tall,long legged girls. A lot of their girls get into the Moulin Rouge [as I did]and Lido. For the Moulin you have to be at least 5FT 8IN tall [in my day I was the shortest at 5 7] and for the Lido [bluebell Girls] you have to be at least 5 FT 9 IN. Right from back in my day ,every year there seemed to be girls from Northern going to dance in Paris and an awful lot of others going to dance on cruise ships. Both are a nice way to see a bit of the world and get paid for it.!

• Like 4

What an unfair thing to say about Northern! Fact is that even those at the "top" purely classical schools will struggle to get work "just" doing Ballet. You only have to look at the audition pages of DanceEurope or Network dance to see how the vast majority of companies want versatile dancers rathet than those purely classically trained.

And I personally think getting a cruiseship job is not a bad achievement at all.

Ive no direct recent experience of Northern but have heard only positives about it.

Please dont let others negative opinions influence you, especially if they havent direct experience of the places they are talking about themselves.

And please, all you students out there, if you really want to be paid to dance, prepare to be versatile!

At this stage, the girls aren't thinking of cruise ship work, but I have also heard that it's very competitive to get into. Two girls DD and I know are on cruise ships at the moment - we follow their progress on facebook. They are having a fantastic time ! Lots of happy smiley pictures from all over the world. Plus, I think they can save a lot of their salaries while working. One girl is doing this to get the 'dancing bug' out of her body before setting up her own dance school, and she will have the savings to do this by the time she's finished. Certainly not a bad achievement at all  ;)

• Like 6

My two DDs wouldn't mind dancing on cruise ship at least you are getting paid and doing something you love and also travelling the world. Lets face it we can't all be at Royal Opera Hse. Alwaysbroke love the name. There are other choices as well Ballet Theatre Uk, Ballet West and London Russian are holding auditions in June. Best of luck

• Like 2

When my DD auditioned at Northern, existing students were in the café with us and I can honestly say we saw both the shortest and the tallest dancers there from any school we visited.

And I agree that whilst most of us look at graduate destinations for our classical ballet dancers, the reality is that dancers need to be versatile and not all end up in classical companies.  Remember also that this can be from choice.  A lot can change in the space of three years as children become adults and assess and reassess themselves and their expectations.

A cruise ship would not be my DDs first choice, but ultimately she would rather be dancing than not and she does know of someone who danced on pointe in ballet shows on a cruise ship (or at least she did 3 years ago).  As for me, I just want her to be happy and earning enough money to live off from doing something she enjoys.

• Like 10

My ex dd knows a boy who was given a scholarship to a ballet company in Australia who is working on a cruise ship and having a great time. He is doing what he always wanted to do and is being paid for it whilst travelling the world, which can't be bad!

• Like 4

Guest Autumn days

Ooh julie, you have us all wondering now! The last London audition was ages ago but Central did hold an audition in Leeds (I think) the weekend before last. Did your friend audition there? If tose results are nly just coming out the London ones will probably be some time yet!

• Like 1

On the subject of NBS, my daughter went there from 2006 - 2009 but was fully aware that a career with RBS/BRB/ENB wasn't going to be a possibility. The majority of graduates went onto cruise ships.  My daughter auditioned for ballet companies in Spain and Germany but was unsuccessful and after spending a small fortune on flights and hotels etc , decided to audition for a cruise contract instead. She was successful and has never looked back. She really enjoys the life and has been around the world several times. She successfully auditioned for another production company just over a week ago for a cruise contract and is just waiting to find out when and which ship she will be going to. This will be her 6th contract and the previous 2 have involved a fair amount of ballet and pointe work. The latter can be a little challenging however! She has also added ballroom, Latin, swing and lindyhop to her repertoire as this was a requirement on the last 2 ships and has loved doing these. She is currently taking ballroom/latin lessons in London each week to improve her technique. In addition to this, she does a couple of professional ballet classes to make the most of the 2 days she spends there. The height range at NBS went from just over 5' to 5' 10" in my daughter's year. As has been said before, dancers need to be versatile and pragmatic as competition for contracts is fierce. Not only are new graduates competing against each other, they are also up against experienced professionals. At my daughter's audition, there were approx. 270 auditionees. 80 were put through to the final and another 50 put through from an agents call. Out of the 130 finalists, 40 were successful. Apologies to the mods if I've gone off on a tangent!   

Best of luck to everyone for now and in the future.

• Like 14

Guest Autumn days

Central finals here. So sorry for those that didn't make it, we know how you feel!

Does anyone know how they split the two days? I thought it ws just overseas finals on the Saturday?

• Like 4

Great news!! Congratulations to all those with 'yes's' and sorry for those who didn't make it to the final for Central.

We have heard nothing - not sure if the reply will come by snail mail or if there is a later date for O/S students to find out if they made the finals. I'm thinking of emailing to see if they can tell me when we are likely to find out. The suspense is killing us!