Upper school audition results 2014

Frangapani

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yes, kookaburras are very common. We have had them at every home we've lived in. Recently, one evening, there was a young one sitting on the table, on our screened-in veranda. We couldn't figure out how it got there until the next morning, when we saw a tear in the screen - the poor thing must have flown straight through because its beak was so big and sharp it pierced the mesh.

• Like 3

Your question made me wonder about another one sort of linked. I don't have the answer to yours even though RBS states that no feedback will be given I think...

My question is about the future chances since I always thought that you didn't stand much of a second chance of being offered a place in upper school when older than 16. Am I wrong? I know one had second chances or even better chances in MT or theatre when older but isn't the opposite in ballet? If they didn't see what they are after at 16, what are the chances at 17 or 18? Especially in the big upper schools?

I genuinely hope I'm wrong...

I don't think my friend will mind me using her as an example. She didn't get into Elmhurst at first and went to Central for a year and a half, then auditioned again for Elmhurst and got in to start immediately.

But I suppose you have to be realistic and if you don't get an offer anywhere (I'm talking classical schools) at 16, your chances of an offer in subsequent years is slim unless you've been fortunate to have made a big improvement for whatever reason (maybe you've been lucky enough to get some really good private coaching in the meantime).

• Like 3

My ds is currently in year 10 and is hoping to audition for 6th form intake 2015 ! The problem we have is that he is smaller than dd who is in year 8 ! His older brother did not have a growth spurt until late in year 11 ! I worry that he will be tiny in comparison to the other boys and that his potential may not be considered because of this ! It would be comforting to him to think he could try again the following year !

Millennium are very approachable if u have any qs. They gave a strong emphasis on ballet being the core of their training with class every day but it is not a place to go for a classical career timetable wise however the ballet training is excellent, fantastic ballet teachers there. They have their own agency now and do a very strengthening form of jazz. One of my students gained a schol there but chose London studio centre as there was a greater emphasis on classical ballet training and she got a Leverhulme schol to there. But millennium def worth trying for :)

• Like 1

To answer your question about Millenium, Pastel, no, it's a "dance course" not a classical course. As far as I know they have very good ballet training which forms a core part of the overall course. Excellent school for Musical Theatre though.

• Like 2

That's wonderful news Pastel....your DD who works so hard must be so pleased!! :)

Will you have to come over to UK for these finals.......do let me know if this is the case would love to meet up.....my friend in Oz told me you had met finally too!!

• Like 1

Wonderful news pastel! I am so happy for your DD, as I perfectly understand your effort and the sacrifice you are going to make to give her the opportunity to study beyond the possibilities your own country can offer. Good luck to her and a big hug to her brave parents!

• Like 1

Just received the long awaited email to say that dd has made the finals for Central - :)

Do you think they have ANY idea how much cheering goes on when these emails/letters are opened?

Yay! I think there will be cheering all round the globe at this news Pastel. I'm sure many of us have been following your DD's story and really hoping for good news for her. It is lovely to hear that she's through to the finals at such a good school. Good luck for the next stage - I guess you'll be madly trying to sort out flights and accommodation now?

• Like 4

Thank you everyone for your kind comments :)

No, we don't fly over for the finals - they will look at her dvd, photos etc again at the end of March along with the finals.

Yes LinMM, we did meet up with your friends and have been keeping in contact.

Looks like dh will be sent to the UK for work whether or not dd gains a place in a vocational course. Not sure what we will do if that happens - we don't really want to leave her behind.......... time will tell.

• Like 5

That's such wonderful news, Pastel! You and your DD must be over the moon :-) I shall be keeping fingers tightly crossed for her to have good news after finals.

If your husband is coming to the UK in any event and if Central doesn't work out, perhaps you could consider London Russian Ballet School, London Studio Centre, Rambert, Tring etc if you would be living in or around London/home counties - or Ballet Theatre UK, Elmhurst (?Leicestershire i think and Birmingham respectively), Bristol Russian Ballet School, Northern Ballet School and Centrepointe (both Manchester), Hammond (Chester), Ballet West (Scottish highlands) if not. I'm sure there are other possibilities I have forgotten about as well.

• Like 3