Upper school audition results 2014

Frangapani

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A yes here in Australia for Central... DD is still asleep at the moment but she will awake to an email which will make her dream of studying in London a reality, a her dad will awake to a financial headache.. oh well that is the price you pay for the sake of the arts! 

• Like 9

Guest Autumn days

Mum in a spin have you ever approached Anna du Boisson, the head of YDA? She would never turn away a talented child regardless of financial circumstances. Why don't you ask her to take a look at your DC?

I never did approach her and my dd will be going into 6th form in September so will be too old. It is a shame that YDA don't have a 6th form!!

Mum in a spin, my dd also got 'no's this year (just turned 16). She took nearly a year out last year from ballet after developing Osgood Schlatters Disease from a growth spurt (she is now 5ft 8.5ins). She only began ballet again fully in September and was still experiencing pain during her auditions (I discovered afterwards!).

My dd has a place at a local dance college starting in September. She has never wanted to do A levels and this year has been particularly difficult with GCSEs, auditions and rehearsals for a full length ballet dancing with principal dancers from ENB which has been such a great opportunity.

I think, at least for dd, she isn't as strong as she should be. Going to the dance college means dancing every day from 9.00am-5.00pm every day (they do have classes until 10pm at night if dd wants to). She can continue with her RAD Adv 1 and 2 Grades, plus tap, contemporary, hip hop, modern, american tap, private singing and acting classes (dd takes her Grade 6 this summer in Singing MT and her teacher wants her to take Grade 8 next summer), MT and body conditioning/pilates plus work shops and DDE/DDI teacher training. It might be her back up option but I think it's a good one. Although she still wants to try for ballet, she also enjoys MT and who knows, she might change her mind when trying different dance styles :)  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure. I haven't heard of anyone from Australia being accepted yet. I did hear of one called back after the first audition, don't know if she gained a place. My dd did not get a place and we applied via dvd.

Guest dancer2027

I think that is the norm, enbs are one of the top ballet schools both in the uk and internationally therefore they attract worldwide talent, naturally they will pick the best applicants and many are from abroad.

When my daughter was in first year exactly one third of the students were from the uk. With the changes to dada even fewer British students might apply or be able to accept a place at ENBS in the future. I know that it won't be an option for my son:(

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

Any further news about the final destination of the YDA students? Did any more get offers from Central?

And what about the Brimingham SAs? How did hey all get on?

Just asking these questions makes you realise how much talent there is out there!!

Guest Autumn days

Have RBS, Elmhurst and Central taken many overseas students this year?

Edited for spelling

Edited by mum in a spin

At the ENB finals I would estimate that about a third were from UK . There were , I think 25 boys in the final . Obviously I have no knowledge of who was accepted - although there doesn't seem to be much news on the forum about any ENB offers for uk students . ( except Kat09 - congratulations ! ) Goldfish - congratulations too - I am not sure where you reside . As flutterby says - ENB is a top school internationally , and is bound to attract / select the best students from each country . I would be interested to hear if anyone knows someone who gained a place this year .

It may indeed be the case that enbs accept more international students than uk students, but given that they don't have a lower school there are obviously more places available there than at RBS or elmhurst for 6th form. I daresay RBS and elmhurst attract just as many applications as enbs, both from the uk and overseas but there will be far fewer places available given the incumbent year 11s.

Having done the audition circuit with my DD this year I can confirm that there were overseas students in attendance at all the schools that we went to. Indeed Elmhurst,RBS,ENBS and Central all hold auditions abroad as well as in the UK and welcome application via audition. These schools all recognise that they are on an international stage and of course students from overseas bring an income for the school as well as their talent.Without funding, the schools not offering a degree programme have fees which will exclude many UK students - well done to all with offers it is a very tough year!

• Like 2

Guest Autumn days

kat09has explained the reasons why overseas students are accepted well and I'm hoping that this doesn't turn into a topic about the merits or otherwise of taking students from abroad!

I am just genuinely interested to find out the balance in all the schools, partly because it may make my dd feel better about nt getting a place anywhere.

• Like 4

Guest dancer2027

mum in a spin i know one french girl who has a place at central,other than I don't know, but have heard of a couple of english girls getting offers at ENBS this year :) I saw ENBS coppelia last week and in the programme the other, lets say non-ballet nerds, were surprised at how the majority of the students were not english, I had to remind them that ironically although it is called English National ballet school, as I said in my above post the school is world renowned and thus attracts international talent. 

Guest Autumn days

It may indeed be the case that enbs accept more international students than uk students, but given that they don't have a lower school there are obviously more places available there than at RBS or elmhurst for 6th form. I daresay RBS and elmhurst attract just as many applications as enbs, both from the uk and overseas but there will be far fewer places available given the incumbent year 11s.

But I thought students at these schools have to audition along aside everyone else. Are they judged against all the other applicants, including the international students, as well, or do they automatically get places in their own upper schools?

But I thought students at these schools have to audition along aside everyone else. Are they judged against all the other applicants, including the international students, as well, or do they automatically get places in their own upper schools?

At RBS and Elmhurst current year 11s auditioned alongside external applicants at finals (I believe they had their own prelims and ENBS visited the other schools to assess them for places at finals) Many were successful and hence very few places available to external applicants especially at RBS who had also already confirmed places for some overseas candidates and then took a large number of their (very talented) year 11 pupils.

Every year it is tough to get into these schools, competition is always high. Can you imagine then, how tough it is to secure a job after three years. Again so many candidates of all ages, not just one year intake like schools, all going for the same job, all over the world.

• Like 7

I guess the point I was just trying to make is that given so many of the year 11s at RBS and elmhurst seem to have been offered upper school this year, there are so few external places at those schools compared to enbs. Anyhow, they are all hideously difficult to get into and the competition is indeed fierce.

I think is very nice that this year they keep the most of their students (RBS /elmhurst) instead of filling the class with some students from abroad. I have the impression that they want to mould the kids with their teaching system from the beginning.

I didn't think enb school was attached to the company. I thought they were separate entities.

From ENBS prospectus ..."As the official school of English National Ballet,we enjoy a strong relationship with the company.At present our graduates make up one third of the company's dancers." there is also a quote from Tamara Rojo "I am proud to be the Artistic Director of ENBS and am looking forward to continuing the strong relationship between the school and the company."  

You are right Moneypenny,the school isn't attached but they work closely with the company as RBS does with the company and Elmhurst with BRB ..... unfortunately there are no guarantees  whichever school you train in.

• Like 2

And there are only a very few students each year who have a choice of school offers so it's usually a bit "academic". It was one of the things my son had to consider when choosing between Elmhurst and ENBS, but other things were more important (mostly the instability at ENBS at the time).

• Like 2

Each of the UK companies takes perhaps three or four graduating students a year at most (although last year the RB took on what seems to be a record of six or seven) and the schools have over twenty students graduating each year, which means that many, many graduates will not get places in companies in the UK and will need to look further afield. Quite a few of the graduates who succeed in getting contracts are overseas students who have come to complete their training in the UK after winning prizes at international competitions eg the Prix de Lausanne. This is particularly the case in relation to East Asian students.

• Like 1

I know of one Australian student who was offered second year at ENBS but I don't know if she accepted as I believe she was also offered something in a 2nd company In US as well. I don't know if she auditioned by DVD or in person for prelims but she was definitely present at the finals as we saw her there. FYI - I don't know the family personally but my DD is friends on Facebook and this is what has been posted. There were also a couple of other international students who we met through our auditions who were wait listed for ENBS... And didn't get through to Central finals. It is all very interesting how it all works.

Rede, yes you'd think it would be easier to get a job if you're training at a school with a company attached but sadly that isn't the case. RBS BRB and ENB don't really take that many of their graduates into their companies but it may be getting better in recent years. If you read the mini bios of the dancers of these major companies you'll see very few. But I guess I'm going off topic now. Sorry!