Mariinsky Ballet to visit London in 2014

Good news on Dancing Times

http://www.dancing-times.co.uk/news/item/1384-maryinsky_ballet_london_2014

The season will run from July 28 to August 14, opening with Romeo and Juliet. The company will also dance a triple bill of The Firebird, Marguerite and Armand and Concerto DSCH, Swan Lake and a George Balanchine double bill of A Midsummer Night’s Dream – the first time the company has danced this work in the UK – and Apollo. The season will end with the London premiere of Alexei Ratmansky’s Cinderella.

• Like 8

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, thank you Naomi.  I'm wondering whether the programme will in fact stay as advertised?  I hope they don't use the same designs as Pacific NorthWest Ballet for MND :).  And the Ratmansky Cinderella, too.  (I'm getting very confused with the number of Ratmansky Cinderellas, I must admit!  Which version was this - about No. 3?)

I think that the Ratmansky Cinderella for the Mariinsky is the first version he made.  The version for the Australian Ballet is the second - a partial reworking of the first and featuring a different designer.   Not sure, but I don't think there is a third version.

I'm not that excited about this programme. They brought Swan Lake last time, there's been a surfeit of R&Js recently and Cinderella as a ballet does not hold a lot of interest for me (although I do love BRB's). It's a shame that they are't being more adventurous; after all, the Mariinsky will sell out whatever they put on.

• Like 1

Like Aileen I am very disappointed with the programme. Nothing  we haven't seen before that I particularly want to see. I don't think Balanchine's Midsummer Nights Dream is a patch on Ashton's Dream and am not bothered about Ratmansky's Cinderella. Please, please, please change something and bring Corsaire!!!!!!!! I was disappointed it wasn't brought last visit. I know we have seen the Bolshoi's Corsaire and now ENBs splendid version but for me you can't beat the Kirov's. it is simply the best as I don't think they've brought it since about 2001.   Joan

I don't know, there's no pleasing us, is there? :)  We complained last year about the general unexciting-ness of the Bolshoi's offerings, and now we get something generally a bit different we don't like that either :)

You are so right, Alison. And look what a success the Bolshoi's tour was. 

• 2 months later...

I believe that ROH Friends will be able to book for the Mariinsky when Period 4 booking opens on 18 March - but there is no casting as yet - are we likely to have a preliminary casting available before booking opens on 18/3?  I dare say Victor Hochhauser will also offer priority booking to those on their mailing list and usually by the time that is on offer some sort of casting is available.  The VH website still mentions nothing about the tour and is invariably late in putting info up. 

Here you go... sadly the table formating is not maintained - for neat version see above link.

MARIINSKY BALLET     28 July – 16 August 2014    CASTING

Monday

28 July

7.30pm

Romeo and Juliet

Diana Vishneva, Vladimir Shklyarov

Mercutio - Alexander Sergeyev

Tuesday

29 July

7.30pm

Romeo and Juliet

Viktoria Tereshkina, Xander Parish

Mercutio - Kimin Kim

Wednesday

30 July

7.30pm

Romeo and Juliet

Alina Somova, Philipp Stepin

Mercutio - Alexander Sergeyev

Thursday

31 July

7.30pm

Romeo and Juliet

Olga Esina, Konstantin Zverev

Mercutio - Kimin Kim

Friday

1 August

7.30pm

Swan Lake

Oxana Skorik, Timur Askerov

Saturday

2 August

2pm

Swan Lake

Olga Esina, Xander Parish

7.30pm

Swan Lake

Viktoria Tereshkina, Vladimir Shklyarov

Sunday

3 August

Monday

4 August

7.30pm

Swan Lake

Uliana Lopatkina, Daniil Korsuntsev

Tuesday

5 August

7.30pm

Swan Lake

Yulia Stepanova, Konstantin Zverev

Wednesday

6 August

7.30pm

Swan Lake

Ekaterina Kondaurova, Timur Askerov

Thursday

7 August

7.30pm

Swan Lake

Alina Somova, Kimin Kim

Friday

8 August

7.30pm

Apollo

Olga Esina, Vladimir Shklyarov

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Viktoria Tereshkina, Timur Askerov

Oxana Skorik, Konstantin Zverev

Saturday

9 August

2pm

Apollo

Maria Shirinkina, Xander Parish

A Midsummer Nights’ Dream

Ekaterina Kondaurova, Philipp Stepin

Nadezhda Batoeva, Kimin Kim

Saturday

9 August

7.30pm

Apollo

Oxana Skorik, Alexander Sergeyev

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Uliana Lopatkina, Konstantin Zverev

Maria Shirinkina, Philipp Stepin

Sunday

10 August

Monday

11 August

7.30pm

The Firebird

Yulia Stepanova, Andrey Yermakov

Marguerite and Armand

Diana Vishneva, Vladimir Shklyarov

Concerto DSCH

Svetlana Ivanova, Konstantin Zverev,

Nadezhda Batoeva, Philipp Stepin,

Kimin Kim

Tuesday

12 August

7.30pm

The Firebird

Anastasia Matvienko, Konstantin Zverev

Marguerite and Armand

Uliana Lopatkina, Timur Askerov

Concerto DSCH

Ekaterina Kondaurova, Andrey Yermakov, Nadezhda Batoeva, Vasily Tkachenko, Alexander Sergeyev

Wednesday

13 August

7.30pm

Swan Lake

Viktoria Tereshkina, Vladimir Shklyarov

Thursday

14 August

7.30pm

Swan Lake

Anastasia Matvienko, Xander Parish

Friday

15 August

7.30pm

Cinderella

Diana Vishneva, Konstantin Zverev,

Ekaterina Kondaurova, Yuri Smekalov, Zlata Yalinich

Saturday

16 August

2pm

Cinderella

Anastasia Matvienko, Alexander Sergeyev, Anastasia Petushkova,

Yuri Smekalov, Zlata Yalinich

Sunday

16 August

7.30pm

Cinderella

Maria Shirinkina, Vladimir Shklyarov,

Ekaterina Kondaurova, Yuri Smekalov

Zlata Yalinich

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

Many thanks Bruce, there's a seating plan on the ROH website but no prices, looking at the prices mentioned in the Friends brochure makes me think the amphi won't have many decent seats under £48, which makes casting all the more important.

I'm excited by the casting - we're getting the opportunity to see some of the up and coming dancers in the company. Just to give two examples : I've watched Yulia Stepanova on YT over the last few years and am thrilled she's dancing Swan Lake in London (she only recently made her debut in St Pete) with Xander Parish. Kimin Kim also features in many YT clips & he looks a terrific virtuoso dancer with a beautiful line. And then there's the sublime Mariinsky corps ....

• Like 4

Many thanks Bruce, there's a seating plan on the ROH website but no prices, looking at the prices mentioned in the Friends brochure makes me think the amphi won't have many decent seats under £48, which makes casting all the more important.

The price chart was there originally.  I wonder why they’ve taken it off?

The chart, which was up until recently, showed the following prices for the amphitheatre:

The lilac seats at the sides and rear of the amphi: £32. 

The brown seats in the rear amph: £25.

The pink seats: £20

The turquoise seats and standing places: £10

Edited to add that the more expensive seats (yellow, olive green and blue) are presumably £48,, £55 and £60.  Since these seats are way out of my price range I didn't look at them when the prices were on the website.

Edited by Bluebird

Edited to add that the more expensive seats (yellow, olive green and blue) are presumably £48,, £55 and £60.  Since these seats are way out of my price range I didn't look at them when the prices were on the website.

£48, £60 and £70 respectively.  I have a screen shot of the seating plan and prices (from a live booking) but I don't know how to post it here!

£48, £60 and £70 respectively.  I have a screen shot of the seating plan and prices (from a live booking) but I don't know how to post it here!

Thanks for that, BBB.  It would seem that they've abandoned the  £55 price  mentioned in the ROH magazine. 

Edited by Bluebird

It looks as though I will have to pay £48 (yellow) then as I really want an aisle seat near the middle, maybe the triple bills and Cinderella will be slightly cheaper, hope so! 

I'm afraid all productions are the same price.  No discounts for mixed bills this time.

I guess this may be a last chance to see the likes of Diana Vishneva and Lopatkina. So will book to see them though I'd like to see Stepanova too.....she is apparently very good in The Firebird.

I guess this may be a last chance to see the likes of Diana Vishneva and Lopatkina.

It might be a case with Lopatkina who was 40 last October (although I hope she continues performing) but Vishneva at 37 is full of beans, dancing with different companies and, apart from that, makes her own projects every year.

• Like 1

I wonder what on earth there can be left for the VH mailing list after the Friends have had their pick?  I assume that since this isn't an ROH-operated season there will be no question of holding anything back for public booking.