Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

Question re references from vocational schools.......does anyone have any experience of how the academic and dance references work for 6th form/college entry when moving from vocational school?  Do you get to see copies? My query stems from quotes I have heard from vocational school advising they don’t want DD to go elsewhere for 6th form and so am wondering how they approach this challenge when many current students may decide to audition for a different school/college etc

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Hi

we never had any sight of any references for dd last year they were sent straight to schools and we didn’t get any copy’s either

hope that helps x

Thanks Dancing unicorn - wonder how that sits with GDPR? 

• Like 1

On 30/09/2018 at 21:05, ArucariaBallerina said:

Hi, I have 2 questions sorry! 

1) Could anyone recommend a really really good pair of ballet flats (preferably canvas split soles) to me? I love the shape of the so danca sd16, but I don't feel they support my feet enough - they can sometimes ache? I do really like the basic Bloch canvas flats, but they do tend to look a bit baggy. I would like a shoe that is comfortable, arch hugging, and good for turns 😃 I have medium-high arches, fairly strong feet and a very narrow ankle, widening to medium-narrow at the ball of the foot. 

2) What forms do Central usually require? I.e Will they want a dance or academic reference, a doctors note or a personal statement?

Thank you so much in advance everybody! X

So Danca are nice and slim fitting and a pleasant colour too!

9 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

I think that if the exemptions were not in place then many employers and educational institutions would be reluctant to give references at all.

given that  even with exemptions  some organisations  solely provide 
-job title 

- start and finish dates 

- status on leaving 

Just wondered if anyone attended the Upper school Elmhurst audition experience today? My dd really enjoyed the class, the teacher was lovely and am hoping she will feel more relaxed now having done this. I did wonder if many were already at vocational schools?

Edited by Born to dance
Spelling

We were there today. A good sense of what to expect in the prelim audition. Potential cohort was split across 2 classes so difficult to know but I don't think many were from vocational schools?  

My DD enjoyed the class which wasn't too demanding and no pointe work which surprised me.

1 hour ago, Born to dance said:

Just wondered if anyone attended the Upper school Elmhurst audition experience today? My dd really enjoyed the class, the teacher was lovely and am hoping she will feel more relaxed now having done this. I did wonder if many were already at vocational schools?

I attended Upper School with my DS, he loved every second, not sure how many were at vocational schools though. Now the serious times begin!

4 minutes ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Hi, does anyone know what photos Northern Ballet School require? And whether to wear ballet shoes or bare feet for audition photos or are you allowed a mixture? I know Elmhurst specify bare feet, but several do not mention whether or not you need to! I'm taking them tonight! Thank you x

Hi. My DD auditioned at NBS last year. Her application photos were in soft canvas ballet shoes. She also wore a simple cotton plain leotard with a belt.  Except for the usual pointe shoe position obviously. 

Taken in the corridor of the Art Dept at her brothers school! Nothing fancy. Auditioned and accepted the place offered. Absolutely loving it. 

Good Luck. X

Thanks everyone! I hope I don't sound really silly on here, honestly I don't know what I would do without everybody's help ☺️

And the photos are all done for another year! I'm happy with most of them too (thanks to a lovely forum member who sold me the most beautiful Degas leotard!) but I guess they don't matter a whole lot compared to the actual audition!

• Like 6

I’m sure it’s been mentioned before but I was probably only half paying attention. (What seemed far in the future is suddenly relevant!).

Am I right in thinking that there is currently no funding for Tring upper school? Ideally, dd would like to do 3 A levels alongside ballet.

As I understand it, DaDa schools reapply every 3 years for funding.  The last time Tring had to reapply, someone missed a tick box on the form and so they lost out on their DaDa funding for that cycle. If memory serves, that was 2 years ago.  The school have money set aside for scholarships and they used part of this for the dancers.  Tring will also allocate MDS funding to the upper school students if they really want to - I am sure they prefer to allocate to junior school as it is their only means of funding.  But current junior school students in receipt of an MDS are (upon successful assessments) allowed to carry it into 6th form. There have been occasions where new students into 6th form have been given an MDS - I am sure it all depends on numbers and potential of all new students across the school. I believe Tring will reapply for DaDa funding status in the next cycle and there should not be any trouble receiving it as the error last time was purely administrative. 

• Like 2

On 07/10/2018 at 22:43, Balletlodge said:

My DD enjoyed the class which wasn't too demanding and no pointe work which surprised me.

When my dd did the upper school audition rounds, she did 11 altogether (prelims + finals) and they weren't asked to do pointework at any of them. That wsa several years ago though, so it may have changed at some schools now.

Hi Taxi how long ago was your DDs auditions? 

Can anyone offer an update from last year maybe? Just had the “both pairs of pointe shoes are on their way out they won’t make it through this weekends performances” text- ordinarily this wouldn’t be too much of an issue but auditions start next week and with performances and school we have no time to make the emergency dash an hour up the M6 for new pointe shoes!