Summer Schools 2013

MeganReid

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Little DD has just had a yes for the 11-13 years group at Elmhurst :)

Already, they don't wait for the deadline like they did for the big ones, then!

Congratulations to your DD!

Edited by afab

Course A for 15-19 asks for them to be studying RAD Advanced 1 or equivalent, with 3 years of pointework for girls.

I'd rather they did just look at photos rather than asking for certain grades, I study Advanced 1 however I have not yet been en pointe for 3 years so it put me off applying for ENBS course.

I'd rather they did just look at photos rather than asking for certain grades, I study Advanced 1 however I have not yet been en pointe for 3 years so it put me off applying for ENBS course.

It's probably so that they have an idea of which standard to aim the work at, because if it's anything like the ENBS Spring course, they did non-syllabus ballet classes but also repertoire. The teachers preparing the lessons have to know roughly which standard to aim the rep and class at, particularly wrt pointework. You can obviously see physique from photos but not get an idea of which standard they're working at.

Welcome to the forum, OstKampfer!

RAD exams are not essential for summer schools, but they can be a useful guide.

As an example, the English National Ballet School is asking for applicants to be studying RAD Grade 5 or Intermediate Foundation OR the equivalent standard (this is for Course B, for students of 11-14). Course A for 15-19 asks for them to be studying RAD Advanced 1 or equivalent, with 3 years of pointework for girls.

I agree about ENBS one - my dd is advanced 1 and has been on pointe for 3 years, but she's only just 14, - I asked them if she could do course A and they said no.

aw, Fiz and Tulip, thank you so much :) I really don't know what i'd do without all the kindness I have received from this forum... It has occurred to me that if I can't get in to a summer school, then surely I've got no chance of getting in to a 6th form school when the competition is so incredibly fierce, but I am determined to just keep trying; this time next year I will probably have to accept that I'm never going to dance professionally so i'm going to enjoy aiming for my dream whilst I can :) xxx

• Like 5

Swanprincess, keep on trying! You've got a great attitude staying so determined. Hopefully you will be accepted into another summer school and you never know how much you may improve over the next year. Wishing you all the best. :)

• Like 3

Hi Swan Princess sorry to see that you didn't get your preferred summer school this year. Have you looked at the Intermediate SS @ Northern Ballet in Leeds? My DD did the Easter Course there and loved every minute. Good Luck with Ballet Theatre UK x

Exactly. Don't worry now about how you'll be next year! It may purely be that you need a little more experience. In the meantime, there are plenty of less over-subscribed summer schools which you could look at because, let's face it, summer courses at the "big" schools are always going to have more applications than places.

Just take it all a term at a time. :-)

• Like 4

Auditions for full time vocational school is totally different to summer school applications Swanprincess. Don't be put off this year because of the summer schools. Apply for as many vocational schools as you can afford, and gain experience of auditioning at each one. Lots and lots of luck, don't be deflated before you even begin.

• Like 5

wow, I am genuinely touched by the friendship and support I have recieved from this forum, thank you all so much, it means a lot to me.

Hi, Kat09, I had looked on the Northern Ballet website, but couldnt seem to find much information about the summer school. When is it, and are there auditions/a closing date?

Sophie :-) x

Hi Swanprincess,

Unfortunately the auditions are closed for the Northern Ballet SS, they closed a while back and people got their answer around 3 weeks ago and had up to last Monday to accept their places... You can always call just in case, I suppose...

The audition process was either an audition there sometime in March I think or a video if you lived abroad. Vocational students don't need to audition from what I gather...

Edited by afab