Summer Schools 2013

MeganReid

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My older DD got waiting list in year 6 and got in a week before when someone dropped out or was injured I guess.  She got a commendation and I swear that made all the difference to her getting into school. I was SO hopeful for little DD after getting Mids (and having to turn it down)

It's a yes for my DD for a RBS Summer School place! So pleased for her as it'll be great for her to get to know maybe one or two other girls that will be starting in yr 7 with her at WL in Sept, cause at the moment she doesn't know anyone! :)

• Like 5

Guest balletmum16

My daughter is selected waiting list too. Is that different to waiting list? She's yr 5 so I suppose the places are few and far between!

My daughter is selected waiting list too. Is that different to waiting list? She's yr 5 so I suppose the places are few and far between!

No it's the same as far as I know. We all got "selected waiting list"... At least for White Lodge... Right?

Edited by afab

Hi my dd got a.selected waiting list place for summer school too .This is our first time to apply. Does everyone get waiting list?

Definitely not, 2 years ago DD1 got a no and DD2 waiting list...

Last year, DD1 got a no and DD2 got a place...

This year, DD2 got waiting list and DD3 got a no...

I would love to know how many are on the waiting list actually...

• Like 1

My daughter is an SA1.  So far, I know of 6 on 'priority waiting list' for Upper School Summer School!, so don't hold your breath.

It does make you wonder how long the waiting list is.

I would imagine that there are not many who decide not to take up the place. 

My daughter did White Lodge summer school 3 times and once got in off the waiting list and got a yes straight away the other times.

Yes, ybss is great, dd did it a few years ago and given the wait list for upper school I think we will apply for that very shortly. Dd not too disappointed, as she has been fortunate enough to do white lodge for the last 4 out of 5 years. Many congratulations to everyone who has got a place this year, well done.v

Guest Autumn days

my dd doesn't have a place!

Balletmadmum, what do you mean by SA1? Is it just a level of RBS SAs? Does your dd have a place at summer school?

My dd and ds both have a place for the second year running, they are very happy although they are only back from 4 weeks at national ballet of Canada the day before so we have to talk about it I think!!! They may be exhausted!

SA1 is the first year of SAs at Royal Ballet School Associates, ie those in year 10.  SA2 is the year 11 group.

There are about 16 in the class of SA1s and only about 10 in SA2s.  I don't know how many of them applied to summer school, I would imagine that a lot of the year 11s would not necessarily do it, as they obviously all have their places sorted for Upper School in September.

And actually make that 7 that I know on the prority list for summer school at Upper School, including my daughter.

Time to start filling out those other forms!

Oh and it came by letter not email.

I would say definitely go to the Yorkshire Seminar, it is supposed to be great.  All the White Lodge students go there.

Thanks, yes I know.  Older DD loved Yorkshire last year.  Only thing is that she is not keen on having little sis there too!

Guest balletmum16

I know of two yr 5 and a yr 6 selected waiting list and 1 SA priority waiting list so just wondered what the difference was? All are RBS associates. Do they allocate so many places to each year group i. e. a year 5 would need to drop out for a yr 5 to get the place etc?

Hi all

My son (10) has got a place on the RBS White Lodge Summer School.  So has his friend from ballet school (also 10).  However, they are not in the same week.  I am thrilled for the opportunity but my DS is a little hesitant, having never been away from home for so long.  Can anyone offer me a little insight into it?  Do the kids enjoy it?  Has anyone had a DS/DD reluctant to go and then enjoyed it?  I have told him it's like "Hogwarts with ballet" but I fear that may be overselling it a bit!!

My son did his first RBS summer school when he was 10 and absolutely loved it. He said it felt like home, the staff were really kind to the younger boys. That year they were in double rooms and he shared with a boy he didn't know, but they got on really well. Last year all the boys were together in the year 7 dorm and he had a great time. He played lots of football and tried to learn some Italian from his roomies! He had never slept away from home before all this, but it has all helped with his confidence. He is looking forward to his 3rd year this summer and I am sure he will be looking out for the younger boys that are feeling homesick.

• Like 1