Summer Schools 2013

MeganReid

Just got a 'wait list" reply for RBS upper summer school...can't believe there were over 1500 applicants!!! anyways does anyone know the probablility of actually getting a spot from the wait list?

ie should I really just give up on it and focus on applications for other summer schools? Any advice/previous experience of the same situation would me much appreciated!! 

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought in the past it used to be a short waiting list for the royal summer school, is this priority list something different as my daughter is also on it, however she is going to Prague master classes instead.

My DD is also on the Priority WL and I thought it was a new word they were using to make you feel better. However a friend of mine rang them to ask them to clarify "Priority" and apparently they said that it was one up from plain old SWL. Hmmmmm.... Anyway, many of the SAs are on this waiting list, not all, I think one got in. One that I know of. We declined to stay on the list preferring to concentrate on ENB SS which DD got and possibly Yorkshire.

Hello I am new to posting on this forum even though I have followed every now and again. It is brilliant for information and knowledge.  My dd also got a selected waiting list for the royal ballet school summer school and is year 5, now I am unsure as to whether to let her audition for the white lodge and mid associates auditions when she becomes year 6.  If they didnt pick her for a summer school then I dont know whether they will bother picking her for these other things. Does anyone have any experience of their dc not being picked one year then picked the next?  thank you in advance.

Hi sasha

Yes my daughter was selected waiting listfor summer school in year 5 - she then went last year and is going again this year. She got a Ja place and is now in year 7 at white lodge. We were told that the summer school takes a lot of overseas students, about half, so it is actually harder to get a place and it is from photos only. I would definitely go for the whole Ja thing - it was Invaluble for my daughter as it confirmed what she really wanted to do and obviously you are seen in person at the auditions so they get a clearer idea of whether you are suitable. Best of luck xx

• Like 4

Hi Sasha, Don't give up, despite getting a waiting list for summer school, do still let your dd audition for MAs and WL next year.  My daughter is currently an SA2.  In the past she had applied for RBS summer schools several times and got a no.  In 2011 she applied for summer school and auditioned for SA1s.  We got a no letter for summer school, then in the same week received a letter offering her a place as an SA!!!  So there you go.....    She started as an SA1 and then the following summer got a place on the RBS Upper School summer school.  So you must never give up.  This year, however, we have been given Priority Waiting List.

• Like 4

Hi sasha

Yes my daughter was selected waiting listfor summer school in year 5 - she then went last year and is going again this year. She got a Ja place and is now in year 7 at white lodge. 

Hi windover60

Is it usual for a lot of the children at WL to do the Summer School? I know quite  a few from Elmhurst like to do their own summer school as it is an opportunity to be taught by the BRB.

• Like 1

Sasha, definitely don't give up just because your dd wasn't chosen for summer school. Summer school selection is so different to everything else as it is based a lot on photo selection. As for RBS summer school, it seems to be very much international, especially as they get a bit older and for the two week course ... Last year dd seemed to be one of only a handful of uk students for the two weeks at white lodge.

• Like 2

Hi all and Sasha in particular.  My son is a JA at the moment.  His JA teacher was very firm to point out that being selected for summer school (which he has been) was purely a question of being lucky and should not at all be taken as an indicator that he is or is not suitable for vocational training.  It is basically a lottery.  After all, who can assess musicality/flexibility etc from a photo?  Please don't let this put your daughter off going for further auditions.  Not being selected means she has just been unlucky in the lottery of places and is NOT at all them saying she is not suitable for other things.

• Like 3

Does anyone know any summer schools that haven't closed to applications yet?

Off the top of my head: Sussex Summer school, Yorkshire Assembly, Ballet West, Yorkshire Seminars, Ballet Cymru, Ballet Theatre UK - all worth looking at websites. I'm sure there are more...

Edited by Millie3

Hi all and Sasha in particular.  My son is a JA at the moment.  His JA teacher was very firm to point out that being selected for summer school (which he has been) was purely a question of being lucky and should not at all be taken as an indicator that he is or is not suitable for vocational training.  It is basically a lottery.  After all, who can assess musicality/flexibility etc from a photo? 

I used to think that as well. Then my DD was selected and when I went to see the show, I was very surprised to see that actually they all had a very similar and very good level per age group and they were very musical and artistic. That is for the girls... The boys were far less harmonious in their levels, some were excellent and some not so...

So whatever they do to choose is not just a lottery for me, they know what they're doing.

Having said that, I agree not being picked shouldn't be a deterrent for auditioning for vocational schools at all...

• Like 1

Hi afab - well obviously since my son was picked i would love to agree with you!  However, that is just what his JA teacher said!  My son has only just finished Grade 2 ballet, so he is not even very advanced in the exams (he is 10).  However, they did know that he was/is a JA because although there is no space to say that on the form, it was stamped on the front of the forms that he picked up in his JA class.  Maybe that makes a difference - I don't know!  

Suzyszoo, was he picked this year or last? If it's this year, remember what I said when you watch the show and tell me what you think...

At the end of the SS, you also get a form in a different colour for the following year. That way, they also know you've already done it... 

My daughter also got a 'priority waiting list' reply for the RBS upper SS.  Is that nine of us now?  

I think so...mine said priority as well but I didn't know that meant anything different? Anyways it seems a bit strange that they put so many on the priority list, AND the waiting list...surely no more than  a few spots might open up? But seeing as how there's so many, I think I will probably just move on and start looking for other summer schools....not planning on holding my breath for a spot here to open up. 

Does anyone know any summer schools that haven't closed to applications yet?

Hi Ballet7,

the two my daughter is attending are both still open. Prague Masterclasses (16yrs and older) and Joffrey Florence (15yrs and over). If you child is older, this info may help.

Hello thank you for all your warm replies.  Its made me feel better knowing that there are other dc who have been in the same boat and gone onto being chosen for voc training at some point and summer school in following years. Thanks again.

afab - they have partnership with University for accommodation in the summer. Last year they were allocated the top floor of very nice Unite building. Each student has reasonable sized en-suite room and shared living room/kitchen. There was laundry facilities available. The same company had just acquired a new complex about 5 mins walk from NB last year that they were about to refurbish - I think NB will use that this year as it is closer. The accommodation was for students who were age 16 and above - there were no adults supervising but building was very secure.

Thank you Veryskint! The girls I'm going to be with are under 16 so they need supervision but I don't know if the University accommodation would let me stay as well... I've emailed them but no answer... :(

I would email NB as all the arrangements are through them as the Uni accommodation is pretty much empty other than the ballet students. Is it the senior summer school your students are going to? I am not sure if there is accommodation for the intermediate one. I can't see any reason why you could not book a room like anyone else but NB will advise you on that.