Summer Schools 2013

MeganReid

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes its a day short but the hours are the same. There is something going on in the park.

Exactly, I worked it out at 15% increase in price if I'm not mistaken!!!

NB Maths has never been my strong point!

my son first went at to RBS SS at age 10, he was little homesick at first, but as long as he was kept busy, it was fine.

The phone calls seem much worse than the reality in my opinion but if you have any worries, hose parents are usually very good at sorting things out. I am sure he will have a great time.

Hi Suzszoo - congratulations to your DS, the prospect of staying at WL is very excting and yes, a bit daunting too.

Youngest dd also went to RBS SS having only just turned 10 (summer birthday).

She coped well and enjoyed it. Those attending are expected to work extremely hard and it is definitely not a ballet holiday, but it is an extremely memorable and rewarding experience and the children are very well looked after.

For us it was a good way to test the waters to see how she would cope with being away from home and it gave her a bit of an insight into what being at vocational school might be like. 

Thank you so much for all your replies.  I think he will enjoy it when he gets there and I do appreciate that he is very lucky to be going at all....  It will be a good way to see if he would truly like to go away for vocational school, although he is only year 5 at the moment so he would be at least a year older before he had to go.  That said, I think he is old enough to go away on his own and gain some independence.  I think he will miss us (or maybe my ipad!) though.  He is going second week, Spax so he will meet your son!  I am quite glad it's a day shorter actually!

I don't mind it being shorter per se. What I mind is that it's exactly the same price as last year and £25 more expensive than 2 years ago. For us sending our DDs to a summer school means not going on a family holiday once again and I find it really bad to actually increase the price by so much in this time of financial problems!

I feel like we're taken advantage of because our kids feel so lucky to be chosen. But behind those happy kids, there are often parents struggling to pay!

And for us who can't afford vocational schools, high level summer schools are really necessary to complement the year round training.

Edited by afab
  • Like 2

Not heard of many for ENB yet ? Are they all out ? Elmhurst seem to be taking longer than usual too !

The lady who takes care of sending Elmhurst results is on annual leave and will be back on Monday.

I always think that if my DS does apply for Elmhurst or WL next year, and did by some miracle get in, it would feel like winning the lottery...................... except that you have to pay for your own prize!

• Like 3