Summer Schools 2013

MeganReid

Swan princess have you considered welsh ballet.co.uk and their Summer School? Although its Jon residential I have heard nothing but good things about it with professional dancers and very good teaching, might be worth a look

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious but how does anyone else's dd cope with the stress of auditions?! According to my mum, I tend to be very agitated, tense and stroppy, particularly when waiting for results. It really irritates her when I am tetchy for no apparent reason (apart from the invisible "I wonder if i'll get in.. Don't be silly- why would they want you?.... Did i get in or not..." war that rages in my mind; I silently drive myself crazy procrastinating over the possibility of a Yes or No) so any tips on how to avoid driving parents mad with the tension, and/ or making how stressful i find it a bit less obvious?? ;)

I always tell my dd as long as you know you have done your best you will be ok. Stress is hard to deal with at any age but you are prob being too hard on yourself. If you don't get something you want either say their loss or next time i will do this...not getting something does not mean failure it means a chance to learn. Keep positive. Keep dancing...there is a place for you. You have such passion...

• Like 5

DD also attending course B, week 2. This is the 3rd year she's done it, (2010 and 2012).She absolutely loved last year and really wanted to go again. 

I agree about ENBS one - my dd is advanced 1 and has been on pointe for 3 years, but she's only just 14, - I asked them if she could do course A and they said no.

Regarding age and level, dd is year 9 (not 14 till the Summer hols) and like your dd is studying Adv 1. ( took her Adv Foundation last July).

However Course B was spot on for her, pitched at her level (she was in the middle group- the course last year was divided into 3 groups).

So don't let the age/exam level put you off! 

There quite a few foreign students, (fascinating for dd and an opportunity for an exchange of ideas etc... and how things were done, things like turnout etc- we're kinder to our knees in the UK!!!).

As well as the Ballet, there's Contemporary, (perfect for dd as it's her "thing" :) ) She loved the Repertoire, (Little Red Riding Hood and the Bluebird variation. I think the older group did something from Swan Lake). DD was lucky enough to be chosen to dance the Little Red Riding Hood duet with a Japanese student (an amazing wolf) in the show of work at the end. So I suppose you could say there was performance opportunity too! Only a little pointe work (I think) 

And she loved Kings Road... well who doesn't when you're a teenager!

DD loved her week and is happy to be going again. 

Can really recommend it- but that is only from the feedback dd has given me- not on a professional level!

• Like 2

Just heard this afternoon, my dd is on the waiting list for ENBS summer school course B  11 - 14 yrs.  She will be very disappointed when she comes home from school...but will stay positive!!!!

Places DO get turned down for numerous reasons, so definitely stay positive :)

My DD who is 11 has a place for ENBS 5-9 August, not sure if that's week 1 or 2. First time we do this, would be interesting to know if anybody has already tried, and how they found the experience.

And see above post... DD was just 11 when she first did it and really enjoyed it :) She made lots of friends and they exchanged addresses, even as far a field as Brazil!

Far too many smileys... my dd is not impressed by my over use of them!

Hi Piglet thank you for the offer much appreciated. We can commute really, I'm just a bit of a wimp. Will probably book hotel for the Sunday and Monday night but commute the other days. Will be lovely to meet you and your daughter, my dd loves increasing her circle of ballet friends!

Just curious but how does anyone else's dd cope with the stress of auditions?! According to my mum, I tend to be very agitated, tense and stroppy, particularly when waiting for results. It really irritates her when I am tetchy for no apparent reason (apart from the invisible "I wonder if i'll get in.. Don't be silly- why would they want you?.... Did i get in or not..." war that rages in my mind; I silently drive myself crazy procrastinating over the possibility of a Yes or No) so any tips on how to avoid driving parents mad with the tension, and/ or making how stressful i find it a bit less obvious?? ;)

Swanprincess,

that's a hard question! I think everyone battles with doubtful thoughts. Some people are more confident than others. My dd is not one of those super confident, extravert people and has been knocked back by auditions too. I asked her how she deals with it and she said that she will go and practise in order to distract herself and do something constructive toward her dream rather than worrying. 

Also, finding out where your weaknesses lie and working on those helps. We need to have a balance between accepting criticism and not taking on destructive comments. The main thing is to not create a mountain in your mind from a comment, or worse still from a rejection which doesn't even come with any explanation. There is a strong element of 'lottery' with auditions due to the sheer numbers of people applying.

I think you need to have definite goals and focus on them rather than the set backs. This week we are in the midst of a competition. The majority of sections are for modern, jazz, tap, contemporary etc and my dd is only entering the few classical sections on offer since she doesn't do the other styles. The adjudicator is unashamedly biased toward a handful of kids from 2 particular schools. After the first night, we have managed to pick who will win the places in each section before anyone dances because we know who the favourites are. Each day as we drive to the venue, my dd has to prepare herself mentally for what is ahead, accepting the fact that the judging is unfair but knowing her goal for the competition, which is to increase her performance skills.

As far as how to not drive your parents crazy, probably being honest with them and saying how you feel inside would be helpful. It always helps us to know that we aren't the ones to blame :). Mostly likely, your parents care about your dream and feel for you too, I know I do for my dd.

There are so many factors involved with being a dancer, like body type etc but it still helps to remain dedicated, committed and work hard. Keep turning up to everything and keep your eyes fixed on your goal no matter what obstacles come up. 

Wishing you all the best :)

• Like 6

Yeah! Our DD3 (turning 11 in May) got a yes for Elmhurst 11-13!

It's her first yes after 2 nos at RBS 2 summers in a row and after both her big sisters got a yes for Elmhurst too so it feels very sweet to her and brought a big smile on her face!!!

• Like 16

DD1 (15) has just turned down her place at Elmhurst to go to another SS. I hope it will make someone happy, especially someone from the forum!

Edited by afab
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

We decided against applying for Elmhurst in the end as it was too far to travel for less than 3 days. Shame they don't do a week!

You mean for the 11-13 one, I suppose? 

We also thought it was a shame that the new age 11-13 Elmhurst summer school is less than 3 days; it would have been a first choice had it been a week as it is at the end of the summer holidays, rather than late July/early August as the huge majority seem to be. I also thought it was expensive for less than 3 days ..... but I am sure it would have been worth it in terms of teaching expertise etc!