Summer Schools 2013

MeganReid

Elmhurst is a fantastic summer school and I can imagine it is going to get more and more popular, this will unfortunatly mean more waiting lists. A lot of children at vocational schools attend this summer school so I can imagine that the standard is very high. To get on the waiting listens that they still want you, just that they are trying to find you a space, good luck.

• Like 5

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know about the 3 day Junior Performers Course at London Studio Centre? One of the most practical for DD to attend. She is 14, and learnt Ballet, Tap and Modern since Infant School, so just hoping there's plenty of challenge in it!

Lilac

My dd did this course for three summers in a row a very much enjoyed it, she would go again if she was not too old. The teachers were lovely and she was happy with the standard of dance,she struggled with the tap which she had not done before. That being said some of the full time students from the school were helpers and they went out of their way to help DD with the tap.

The ybs results arent out until mid May (they emailed me to say they'd recieved my application)

But i get the impression that most Ybss applicants get places.

So sorry to sound patronising- but did your Yes email from Elmhurst come today, or yesterday?! (ive not heard yet so am wondering wether they send the Yesses out in one batch as emails then the Nos later as letters?!) x

I have a yes for elmhurst! not sure what to do though as waiting to hear from ybs and worried i'll have to lose the £100 deposit! any advice? x

How about if you email YBSS and ask if you can remove your application and not lose your £100 deposit to their SS by explaining that you've got a definate place at Elmhurst SS. If they can help you then you haven't lost your £100 deposit and if they can't then you have to decide if to go to YBSS or Elmhurst SS.

• Like 1

How about if you email YBSS and ask if you can remove your application and not lose your £100 deposit to their SS by explaining that you've got a definate place at Elmhurst SS. If they can help you then you haven't lost your £100 deposit and if they can't then you have to decide if to go to YBSS or Elmhurst SS.

Thankyou Lottie, and yes after a big decision with my mum and dad, we have decided on Elmhurst and taking the risk not accepting YBSS as it is much closer to home! Thankyou x

• Like 2

Swanprincess-Sorry to hear you have not got a place this year, if its anything like RBS maybe there has been a boom in appliications. Lots of girls at dds dance school are looking at the RAD summer schools - the peformance one looks excellent though maybe a bit expensive.

• Like 2

Hi

As a newbie BalletCo poster and Father of a DD, (yes, it took me a moment to work out your acronoyms) can I ask what sort of RAD ballet grade scores are required for these summer schools?

As DD is keen to go further it seems the sort of next progression. (Though from Hong Kong this is less than straight forward). However, if her grade scores are not strong enough then there is enough time between now and next summer to let the idea gently fade.

What broadly is necessary to get in?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum! Yes it took me a while too...

I can answer from the perspective of a non Brit as we live in France and our 3 DDs don't have any RAD grades nor any grades at all to be honest as it is not the way it works here.

They have been accepted in different SS along the years (Tring, RBS, Northern Ballet in Leeds, Elmhurst) on the basis of photos or videos depending on the school. One of them was accepted in the States (American Ballet Theater) through to a video. The schools seem to be looking for something special, which can differ from school to school, and they seem to be able to find it through looking at specific pictures or a film of a barre with specific exercises. Not having grades hasn't been a problem for our DDs and I would even say that schools with an audition process whether it is pictures or video couldn't care less about grades...

Having said that, I strongly believe the DD/DS need a good level for their age since the schools are able to pick who has had good training and who hasn't through a process that seems nearly magical to most of us mere non dancers!

Good luck!

Edited by afab

Welcome to the forum, OstKampfer!

RAD exams are not essential for summer schools, but they can be a useful guide.

As an example, the English National Ballet School is asking for applicants to be studying RAD Grade 5 or Intermediate Foundation OR the equivalent standard (this is for Course B, for students of 11-14). Course A for 15-19 asks for them to be studying RAD Advanced 1 or equivalent, with 3 years of pointework for girls.

Hi

As a newbie BalletCo poster and Father of a DD, (yes, it took me a moment to work out your acronoyms) can I ask what sort of RAD ballet grade scores are required for these summer schools?

As DD is keen to go further it seems the sort of next progression. (Though from Hong Kong this is less than straight forward). However, if her grade scores are not strong enough then there is enough time between now and next summer to let the idea gently fade.

What broadly is necessary to get in?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the Forum!