Dance on terrestrial TV

The Riviera: A History in Pictures

I don't know how much of this will be about ballet, but this is part of the description of the programme "and ballet impresario Sergei Diaghilev were drawn to the area".

Episode 2 of 2 | Season 1

BBC Four

Freeview:9  Sky:116  BT:9  Freesat:173

Wed 29 Jul  8:00pm-9:00pm and Wed 5 Aug 12:45am-1:45am

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC4 are repeating the ROH reopening concert this Sunday the 26th July at 11.20pm. It follows a broadcast of the 2020 ROH production of Fidelio through unfortunately not with Jonas Kaufmann. 

Edited by jmhopton
Incorrect information
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

BBC4 are repeating the ROH reopening concert this Sunday the 26th July at 11.20pm. It follows a broadcast of the 2020 ROH production of Fidelio through unfortunately not with Jonas Kaufmann. 

I wondered when Fidelio was being shown. And, really, this has to be about Lise Davidsen rather than Kaufmann. Plus more exposure for David Butt Philip.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jmhopton said:

BBC4 are repeating the ROH reopening concert this Sunday the 26th July at 11.20pm.

This presumably being the cobbled-together bits and bobs we saw the other week?

19 hours ago, alison said:

This presumably being the cobbled-together bits and bobs we saw the other week?

I'm afraid so. I was just quoting the Radio Times and forgot it could be open to misinterpretation. As I remember it the 1999 reopening gala was a terrific compilation of ballets the RB had become famous for, and really enjoyable to watch. I seem to remember the opera contribution as being a rather disappointing concert version of something that not even Placido Domingo could really make enjoyable (for me at least) though I have to confess as to not liking opera that much anyway.

Yes, the 1999 reopening gala was fantastic.  Anthony Dowell assembled a brilliant look-back at the RB catalogue of works through the years, beautifully and carefully presented.  I wish it was available too, (also Dreams to Reality which was great.)  As far as I remember, the first Opera section of the Gala consisted of the opera singers lined up on stage with musical scores in their hands from which they sang.  In contrast, Anthony Dowell stole the show!  I did have a DVD of the performance, but no CD seems to have been issued, unfortunately.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Also I see SkyArts is going to launch on Freeview in September. Good news for those who don't have subscription TV. No news of ballet or opera but we can but hope.

Sky Arts director Philip Edgar-Jones said: “There’s never been a stronger need or demand for the arts, nor a more important time to champion and celebrate creativity.

“That’s why we’re throwing open the doors to make Sky Arts a free channel. During lockdown we’ve seen audiences to the channel increase by 50% and our weekly live paint-along show, Portrait Artist Of The Week, reached 4.6 million people with over 20,000 portraits painted.”

“As a free to air channel I hope that Sky Arts can help arts organisations and cultural institutions of all shapes and sizes across the UK, providing them with a platform to create and showcase their work to a broad audience.”

As part of this commitment, Sky Arts will launch a series of bursaries worth £30,000 ($39,000) each, pairing leading figures from the arts world with diverse and emerging new artists on a mentoring initiative.

Although the channel is moving out from behind the paywall, Sky Arts On Demand’s library of 2,000 hours of content will remain exclusive to Sky and NOW TV customers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dancing in the Blitz: How World War Two Made British Ballet

BBC Four HD.   Freeview:106. Virgin:107. BT:106. Freesat:107.  Mon 14 Sep. 12:00am-1:00am

Documentary in which David Bintley, director of the Birmingham Royal Ballet, explores how British ballet thrived during the war. Using rare and previously unseen archive footage, Bintley charts how the then Sadler's Wells Ballet Company, led by Ninette de Valois and featuring stars such as Margot Fonteyn and Frederick Ashton, survived an encounter with Nazi forces in the Netherlands. He reveals how they danced while the bombs fell during the Blitz to bring ballet to the public as an antidote to the austerity the nation faced - before emerging post-war as the Royal Ballet. Featuring contributions by Beryl Grey, Gillian Lynne and Julia Farron

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

thank you Bluebird.  

Not much info there!    ... Which dancers?  Sky Arts have a bit to learn ... no link to further details 🙄

If its the same version that Sky Arts have previously shown then its McRae and Osipova in Rhapsody, and Lauren Cuthbertson and Vadim Muntagirov in The Two Pigeons (same as the DVD)

17 hours ago, MJW said:

If its the same version that Sky Arts have previously shown then its McRae and Osipova in Rhapsody, and Lauren Cuthbertson and Vadim Muntagirov in The Two Pigeons (same as the DVD)

thank you.  That’s probably the only recording of these 2 ballets together 😉

On 08/09/2020 at 15:09, Beryl H said:

Sky Arts Freeview will start on 17th September with the RB Rhapsody/Two Pigeons programme, although at 6am!

I was away and I missed this, does anyone know if it is being repeated? thanks

As regards Ballet on Sky Arts I can only find Cinderella, Australian Ballet (choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky) Tuesday 7 am. 

Edited by Janite
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something you might want to set your recorders for:

In the early hours of Sunday morning, on Sky Arts, from 3.45-4.00, there's a programme called "Arts Uncovered", which "joins the stage managers at the Royal Opera House as they prepare for a new production at the iconic Covent Garden venue."

The words "new production" rather suggest opera rather than ballet, but you never know ...

• Like 6

Not sure where to put Sky Arts programmes now? here or in the sky arts feed as it's now Freeview.

Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker

Sky Arts HD.  Sky:820   Virgin:156.   BT:363

Fri 16 Oct  7:00am-9:00am 

There is no indication, as yet, as to who is dancing.

• Like 2

Here now, please, as it's terrestrial: there is no longer a "Sky Arts" thread as such - I renamed it the day Sky Arts went onto Freeview :)  The non-terrestrial thread still exists, but I suspect it will be rather less busy from now on.

Thanks for posting the Nutcracker: I guess we shall have to wait and see as to which one it was.

• Like 2

Australian Ballet: Coppelia

Sky Arts HD.    Sky:820.  Virgin:156.  BT:363

Fri 23 Oct.  7:00am-9:00am 

A production of Delibes' classic about a doll that comes to life, starring Ako Kondo and Andrew Killian.

I wonder if Fridays at 7am has become a ballet slot?

Edited by Janite