Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/11/2019 at 18:53, Lisa O`Brien said:

Just watched Getting to the Nutcracker on Channel 5. Very insightful. Wow, that's some budget they must have. Some very talented dancers though.

thank you Lisa I greatly enjoyed watching this.

• Like 1

The filmed Romeo & Juliet starring Francesca Hayward and William Bracewell Romeo & Juliet: Beyond Words is on BBC Two on New Years Day at 5.30pm.

A repeat of Dancing the Nutcracker: Inside the Royal Ballet is on BBC Two on Christmas Day at 12 noon.

Essential Royal Ballet is on BBC Four on 29th December at 7pm. Described as Katie Derham introduces a spectacular selection of highlights from an incredible past decade at the Royal Ballet.

Edited by RMM1
Added BBC Four detail
  • Like 10

13 hours ago, RMM1 said:

The filmed Romeo & Juliet starring Francesca Hayward and William Bracewell Romeo & Juliet: Beyond Words is on BBC Two on New Years Day at 5.30pm.

A repeat of Dancing the Nutcracker: Inside the Royal Ballet is on BBC Two on Christmas Day at 12 noon.

A real "Frankie-fest", then.

• Like 4

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/catch-the-royal-ballet-on-tv-this-christmas 

A useful link to the (now  underused) ROH News page,  detailing the RB-related programmes to be broadcast on the BBC over Christmas 2019.

Fortunately "All programmes will be available to watch on-demand after broadcast via BBC iPlayer"   so we can still catch up if the broadcast times are inconvenient and we haven't recorded  them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

A useful link to the (now  underused) ROH News page,  detailing the RB-related programmes to be broadcast on the BBC over Christmas 2019. 

Not under used by me. I follow it so as to make sure I catch ballet on TV. 

And thanks for posting. 

9 hours ago, Janite said:

Not under used by me. I follow it so as to make sure I catch ballet on TV. 

And thanks for posting. 

I meant underused by the ROH... the ROH news page is now pretty rarely updated compared to what it was before the latest website changes....

• Like 4

The news page invites comments on both Sleeping Beauty and Coppelia below but neglects to allow one to do this or to read previous contributions other than those via twitter. 
There must be a policy of allowing the “what did you think” pages to become obsolete.

• Like 4

Thanks for posting this, Odyssey - I've 'given up' Strictly this year so I didn't watch, but I'm very glad to have seen it and I think he did what was required of him brilliantly. Talented though the other dancers are (and they are talented), he is clearly in a class of his own from the very first moment.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Thanks for posting this, Odyssey - I've 'given up' Strictly this year so I didn't watch, but I'm very glad to have seen it and I think he did what was required of him brilliantly. Talented though the other dancers are (and they are talented), he is clearly in a class of his own from the very first moment.

In spades :) 

We thought Carlos Acosta was in a  completely different league from the professional dancers on Strictly. He held himself like a dancer and was clearly in command from his very first step. I  was wryly amused by the comments on the BBC website which varied between “What’s so special about him?” to “The professional dancers were better”. Uh huh..

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fiz said:

We thought Carlos Acosta was in a  completely different league from the professional dancers on Strictly. He held himself like a dancer and was clearly in command from his very first step. I  was wryly amused by the comments on the BBC website which varied between “What’s so special about him?” to “The professional dancers were better”. Uh huh..

This is why I also stopped watching Strictly.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sim said:

This is why I also stopped watching Strictly.  

I only started watching it when Darcey Bussell became a judge, just out of curiosity, and then I found myself continuing because of her. But now she's no longer there there's nothing of interest for me and a lot to annoy me! (It's all so hysterically overblown in every way, and there are such obvious inconsistencies about the judging by both judges and public. And if the public really can't see that Acosta is in a completely different league to the other dancers, that just confirms my alienation!).

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

My main reaction to that clip is to thank God that ballet audiences don't scream like that every time a dancer jumps or spins!

Don't they? You can't have sat near audience members like my neighbours at Saturday evening's performance of The Sleeping Beauty or the several people near me last night at the Triple Bill at the Coli.

12 hours ago, Darlex said:

Re Acosta in Carmen on Strictly, is that his choreography, the one he made for his production at Covent Garden? 

My impression was that it was really just generalised Carmen-type choreography (but he may have incorporated a few moves from his production, I suppose).