Dance on terrestrial TV

Thanks so for this, Duck.  Wonderful to see Haydee (my very first Juliet) out there as the Nurse.  Remember her doing it at the Coliseum when Stuttgart visited - and the houses being SOOOO very empty.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Transmitting at 10pm, Monday 29th April on Channel 4

The Curry House Kid

“Khan has made an illuminating, personal and powerful documentary about his life and relationship with his family.” Evening Standard

At their height there were 12,000 curry houses in Britain, the vast majority run by Bangladeshi immigrants. Akram Khan’s father was one of them, and he expected his son to inherit the family business. But Akram had other ideas: he wanted to dance.Now he’s one of the world’s leading dancers and choreographers.

This film sees Akram return to the curry houses of his childhood, meeting the chefs who created this culinary institution in the face of hostility and, often, violent racism. Exploring their stories of immigration, this most effortlessly global of artists comes face-to-face with his own past, his family history, and the reasons he became a dancer. All of this is woven into a poetic new piece of dance that tells a universal story – the immigrant experience in Britain.

• Like 2

I wasn't sure why the programme concentrated on Brick Lane; nowhere was it clarified that Khan was actually born and brought up in Wimbledon. And it's been clear from his work for a long time that he has been seeking to reconcile his upbringing and identity with his Bangladeshi heritage; I found the analysis in the programme much more superficial than what has emerged from his work. So although his dancing was wonderful, I found the programme as a whole a bit disappointing.

• 1 month later...

A heads up for The Man Who Loved Redheads with Moira Shearer on Talking Pictures (Freeview 81) this Saturday 18:35  I haven't see it for ages, so I can't remember how much she dances. IMDB says "John Hart dances the part of Sergei in the Sleeping Beauty extracts and appears by permission of the Covent Garden Trust."

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, trog said:

A heads up for The Man Who Loved Redheads with Moira Shearer on Talking Pictures (Freeview 81) this Saturday 18:35  I haven't see it for ages, so I can't remember how much she dances. IMDB says "John Hart dances the part of Sergei in the Sleeping Beauty extracts and appears by permission of the Covent Garden Trust."

Thanks trog - sounds like fun!

• Like 1

With the AI (Artificial Intelligence) bandwagon gaining momentum, it was only a matter of time before it would be applied to choreography, and almost inevitable that it would involve Wayne McGregor (see https://www.dancemagazine.com/is-google-the-worlds-next-great-choreographer-2625652667.html).

Well, the latest episode of BBC's technology programme, Click, featured a segment on his collaboration with Google's Arts and Culture Lab (it's about 9 mins into the episode at https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006bxp ).

I'm not convinced it's anything more than a publicity stunt at the moment - the generated moves looked like most Wayne McGregor choreography I've seen.

Rather worryingly, one of the dancers said the AI system didn't understand physics or take account of gravity when creating the movements! 

Now, real dancers dancing real choreography can certainly look as if they defy gravity, but I don't think any of them can actually ignore it!

• Like 5

We had to retune the tv on Saturday and Talking Pictures disappeared as it often does! Will have another go in a few days. In fact on Saturday we even lost BBC one and BBC 2 for a while not sure if it was weather conditions or they were working on the transmitter ( on the Isle of Wight) or something. Also on Friday it was really windy down here with some very strong gusts anyway something was up so hopefully they will repeat that programme.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Extract of an email from Rambert.

peaky-blinders-swan-lake.jpeg

By order of the Peaky Blinders, Rambert performed on the most recent episode of the popular BBC One series dancing Swan Lake choreographed by Artistic Director Benoit Swan Pouffer.

1px.png
1px.png
peaky-blinders-dying-swan.gif
1px.png 1px.png

Described by Thomas Shelby as "an independent dance company, dedicated to bringing ballet to the people", Rambert is absolutely thrilled we had the opportunity to be involved in such an amazing show.

In case you missed it, watch the full episode now on BBC iPlayer.

1px.png
1px.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Oh, this is great news ... I so enjoyed the performances I saw at the Wells.  With this and the film of the RB dancers in the cut MacMillan R&J it promises to be a very good Xmas all round :) 

it is lovley to have good ballet to look forward to.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

Just watched Getting to the Nutcracker on Channel 5. Very insightful. Wow, that's some budget they must have. Some very talented dancers though.

where did you see it? I have looked and I can't find it on TV, I did find it on Amazon Prime though.

Edited by Janite