RB SEASON 24/25 Announced

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ellybĀ surely early casting enables RB dancers to guest ā€œmoreā€ in that they know exactly when their RB commitments are and can work around those.Ā 
Ā 

I have no problem with RBdancers Ā guesting elsewhere but I donā€™t think this should trump their full time job and RB scheduling should come first.Ā 
Ā 

If they announced casting at the time of premium friends booking youā€™re looking at anything between 3-6 months advance notice of when youā€™re expected to dance at the RB.Ā 
Ā 

If they are trying to manage dancersā€™ guessing preferences and thatā€™s delaying casting (and thatā€™s very much an IF unless someone has insider knowledge, I personally donā€™t think itā€™s this as it doesnā€™t make sense to me) itā€™s very much the wrong way to go about it and a huge disservice to UK audiences, Friends and the wider company (as principal casting will have knock on effects for partnerships and first soloist roles etc).Ā 
Ā 

Also perhaps Iā€™m being overly hopeful but is this the RB trying to cover themselves? And the communication and follow up responses are badly worded? I know itā€™s still poor they canā€™t hold themselves to something theyā€™ve been doing for years but thereā€™s still a chance Friends will receive casting in advance of their booking period opening?

Ā 

Iā€™ll be looking for casting detail with interest - Friends booking opens on 25 June (with higher tiers the previous weeks) so Iā€™d except ideally casting to be released early mid June if they wanted to give Friends this information in advance. Then thereā€™s only about 2 weeks between Friends and general booking so they really ought to get casting out at some point in June to give friends even a little head start!Ā 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bridiem said:

the RB has announced casting well in advance certainly for all the time I've been going to ballet (47 years). So why should it no longer be possible?

This seems the clearest way of putting things. Given the widespread strength of feeling - so many posts from so many people - may I suggest that everyone who feels this way writes to Alex Beard (not to the Friends as this wonā€™t be escalated so may not lead to senior management understanding that they have a problem).Ā 
Ā 

His email address has been put on the Forum in the past:Ā 

Ā 

alex.beard@roh.org.uk

Ā 

A large number of complaints will at least mean that they will discuss the problem.

Ā 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 7

52 minutes ago, JNC said:

Iā€™ll be looking for casting detail with interest - Friends booking opens on 25 June (with higher tiers the previous weeks) so Iā€™d except ideally casting to be released early mid June if they wanted to give Friends this information in advance. Then thereā€™s only about 2 weeks between Friends and general booking so they really ought to get casting out at some point in June to give friends even a little head start!Ā 

Ā 

About dates: it seems to me (though I can't give evidence) that over the years booking dates have got earlier in relation to the performances involved; if this is part of the problem, the solution is not to not give casting information, it's to move the booking dates. (And yes, I know they want as much money in as early as possible; but they're not going to get it by depriving ballet Friends of casting information.)

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Perhaps there are just too many tiers of Friends these days to be able to guarantee casting by the time the first lot of (higher) tiered Friends booking day opens as itā€™s often a full month or more before ordinary Friends booking opens (and public booking is often a full month after that!!)Ā 

Ā 

Perhaps the casting ( as the dancers will have been rehearsing for some time) should be announced as ā€œprojected castingā€ as Friends booking opens Ā if the RB feels it needs to protect itself rather than no info at all.Ā 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I'm seeing the suggestion here that this is related in some part to giving dancers more flexibility wrt guesting and galas. Is there any basis for this?

No I think itā€™s just speculation, and I donā€™t think it makes sense logically.Ā 
Ā 

Itā€™s true that dancers may know and the friends/public doesnā€™t - but this also doesnā€™t make sense to me as why wouldnā€™t they put out such plans (always subject to illness/injury etc).Ā 
Ā 

I appreciate it must be a mammoth job juggling assigning roles, looking at partnerships, thinking about rehearsal time and then coordinating that with other programmes that these principals may be dancing in and then those associated rehearsal times so itā€™s not an easy job, but it has to be done anyway and the further in advance they do it seems a win-win by informing friends and others interested in booking as well as having a good plan for the next few months and dancers knowing exactly when theyā€™ll be performing and rehearsing.Ā 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, JNC said:

No I think itā€™s just speculation, and I donā€™t think it makes sense logically.Ā 

Ā 

Thank you - in that case perhaps we should stop kicking it about as a possible reason. It can lead the discussion down dangerous paths IMO.

• Like 3

@Lizbie1Ā I agree - my posts werenā€™t intended to further such speculation but rather give some thoughts on why I think itā€™s unlikely that guesting is delaying casting announcements.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Perhaps the casting ( as the dancers will have been rehearsing for some time) should be announced as ā€œprojected castingā€ as Friends booking opens Ā if the RB feels it needs to protect itself rather than no info at all.Ā 

I canā€™t see why the RB should feel the need to protect itself since Friends have always known and accept that castings (opera as well as ballet) can and do change for any number of reasons but if the words ā€œprojected castingā€ would allow the information to be released prior to Friendsā€™ booking opening, then letā€™s have it.Ā 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I canā€™t see why the RB should feel the need to protect itself since Friends have always known and accept that castings (opera as well as ballet) can and do change for any number of reasons but if the words ā€œprojected castingā€ would allow the information to be released prior to Friendsā€™ booking opening, then letā€™s have it.Ā 

Ā 

Yes, we all know and accept that injuries and illness can change casts.Ā  But projected casting would be sufficient to know who is likely to be dancing the leading roles, and when.Ā  This is especially important with some of the more mature principals, who may well be performing a specific role for the last time.Ā  I am making a point of trying to see Lamb in everything I can, while I still can.Ā  I did exactly the same thing with Morera before she retired.Ā  But I can't always afford to wait until exact casting is announced, when many of the reasonably priced seats will have gone by then.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 7

I wonder if with the rise of international travel for ballet and opera more people are complaining about cast changes when certain dancers are affected and looking for compensation. Obviously the ROH is clear that there will be no such compensation, but they might be feeling increased pressure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

the solution is not to not give casting information, it's to move the booking dates

Ā 

That totally makes sense and that's what they should do if they can't give casting - e.g. in the case of the Macmillan and Ashton triples. Booking blind, as people have said previously, isn't always possible when you have to book transport, schedule around time off etc, and with the increased prices it's not possible to buy for several different nights on the off chance that you might see the pairing you want.

Ā 

For the Ashton triples recently, I went through booking blind and then went back and exchanged a few, losing the Ā£4, after they released the cast the day after public booking. I then had to shuffle other things round, as I'd booked for Next Generation festival events that now clashed with my new Ashton dates, leading to more returns. It may only be Ā£4 but it is annoying and it does add up - and as @JennyTaylorĀ said, that money is now gone from me and although I can use it for future credit, that doesn't count for much in the present moment.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bridiem said:

Ā 

No, it's not; the RB has announced casting well in advance certainly for all the time I've been going to ballet (47 years). So why should it no longer be possible?

Of course this service should continue. ā™„ļø

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Ā 

Thank you - in that case perhaps we should stop kicking it about as a possible reason. It can lead the discussion down dangerous paths IMO.

Ā 

Sorry, that was my idle speculation; I certainly wasn't trying to lead anyone down any sort of 'dangerous paths', just wondering whether the current focus on loaning out the principals might have something to do with what seems like a bizarre decision to limit notice of casting when they must be aware many, many people book their performances based on casting information. It was immediately debunked as a plausible explanation but I have also asked my post to removed. I appreciate I shouldn't post anything without solid evidence, I'll refrain in future and leave it to others with more expertise. Apologies for the inconvenience.Ā 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ellyb said:

I appreciate I shouldn't post anything without solid evidence, I'll refrain in future and leave it to others with more expertise. Apologies for the inconvenience.Ā 

Ā 

Please don't take this too strictly! It's just that when we start on dancers' priorities (and a few other areas) things can get a bit dicey.

• Like 2

I notice that there is no General Rehearsal for Alice or MADDADDAM so that is another perk of being a Friend which may be changing . Nothing much of interest next Autumn. Maybe Iā€™ll try out Opera.

If the casting prior to booking is not announced I will have to rethink my Friend Membership.

• Like 2

Just now, Lesley said:

I notice that there is no General Rehearsal for Alice or MADDADDAM so that is another perk of being a Friend which may be changing .

Ā 

but on the other hand, there appear to be more rehearsals in the evening, which may appeal more to those who work full time

• Like 2

As an example of what can happen with guesting:
Ā 

Iana Saienko, Berlin principal and former guest with both ENB and RB (partnering Steven McRae) was scheduled to perform at the Ballet Icons Gala in London back in March. Ā She had to pull out when Berlin State Ballet scheduled for her to dance Giselle and receive her Kammertanzerin award. Ā 

Ā 

Gala organisers often have to overbook guests knowing that some will have to drop out due to their home company scheduling. Ā Galas often have to rush around for late invitations to fill in for this and for inevitable injuries. Ā And those late invitations might need to be people not needing visas. Ā Itā€™s not an easy job!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Ā 

but on the other hand, there appear to be more rehearsals in the evening, which may appeal more to those who work full time

Good for working Londoners yes - but bad newsĀ  for those of us who are part time or retired, who don't live in London,Ā  for whom the rehearsals were wonderful opportunities for an affordable ballet - overnight stays being what they are and trains being what they are.

Ā In my Friends' survey response I wrote enthusiastically about how good this opportunity was, and how I would like to see even more access to daytime rehearsals, even being happy to pay a bit more- so am very sad to see itĀ  reduced.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lesley said:

I notice that there is no General Rehearsal for Alice or MADDADDAM so that is another perk of being a Friend which may be changing . Nothing much of interest next Autumn. Maybe Iā€™ll try out Opera.

If the casting prior to booking is not announced I will have to rethink my Friend Membership.

Perhaps they have yet to be scheduled (fingers crossed šŸ¤žšŸ»)

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Ā 

Notwithstanding your comment which I take on board, it does however seem a pretty silly decision to have rehearsals in the evenings thereby blocking off evenings on which actual performances could be scheduled and fill the still depleted coffers with much needed funds. (Alex Beard went to great pains yesterday when speaking to emphasise how precarious the finances are and will continue to be so as the government COVID loan comes due for repayment).Ā 

• Like 2

I'm planning a 3 week visit to London in May of 2025. Hope to catch the Onegin on May 29 and see two different casts in R&J, and possibly the Wheeldon. The exact dates of our visit, our flight reservations, and Airbnb reservations will all depend on the cast announcements. We visited 5 years ago with a month long stay in multiple locations in UK. There came a point where I actually changed flight reservations, dates, locations, etc. at some cost to us so we could see Marianela in R&J. So I am particular about casts, seat locations, etc. At the time, I was a Friend, and I have been planning on becoming Friend+ well before our visit. I can't imagine booking without knowing the casts!

• Like 8

Itā€™s a lot of money to be a Friends plus so one has to weigh up what one is getting for this extra payment. One of the benefits is supposed to be advanced booking (before the general public etc) but sometimes this is not much value if you canā€™t really book for (lack of ) casting reasons.Ā 

• Like 3

Re: Casting

Ā 

I received this reply to a follow up email to the Friend's office.Ā  Premium 2 is my booking level so that doesn't mean it won't be out before then.

Ā 

I can confirm the ballet company are working towards casting being released before Premium 2 Friend booking day. Sorry about any confusion.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

I emailed Alex Beard about this and he said that they absolutely appreciate how important casting information is but that not all casting is known far in advance especially for new works, so they cannot guarantee supplying all casting in advance. I replied that this has always been the case but that the wording of the email to Friends implies a change from the current situation which is what has caused consternation. He has now replied to say that he has taken my comments on board. So, I'm not really any the wiser!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

I think Onegin and the Balanchine triple bill will be on my list. I was expecting La Bayadere and Fille. No big tutu ballets at all. I really didnā€™t think much of Cinderella, in fact the stepsisters were a huge turn off for me- itā€™s just not funny anymore for men to dress up as women. But thatā€™s another discussion. So no Cinderella, and not really a Wheeldon fan so wonā€™t be going to Alice. R&J Iā€™ve seen too many times and prefer Northern Balletā€™s production.

Edited by Rachelm
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I emailed Alex Beard about this and he said that they absolutely appreciate how important casting information is but that not all casting is known far in advance especially for new works, so they cannot guarantee supplying all casting in advance. I replied that this has always been the case but that the wording of the email to Friends implies a change from the current situation which is what has caused consternation. He has now replied to say that he has taken my comments on board. So, I'm not really any the wiser!

Ā 

I think all of us who are Friends should email to share our opinion. They will feel pressure from receiving many direct messages on the subject.Ā 

Ā 

I will 100% be dropping my Friend-ship (ha) if casting is not shared in advance of booking dates and will tell them so in my own email on the subject.Ā 

• Like 4

We understand that there is concern regarding when ballet casting will be released. We always aim to share this in advance of Friends' booking opening and plan to do so for the Autumn Season. However, as you know there are sometimes unavoidable circumstances which occasionally means some casting is delayed. We will continue to share ballet casting as soon as possible via the E-Newsletter.

Ā 

Message just received in a Friends' email.

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2