RB SEASON 24/25 Announced

Also:

PERFORMANCE CHANGES

The matinee performance of Hansel and Gretel on 24 December will now begin at 12.30pm, rather than 2pm as previously printed.

The matinee performance of Ruination on 24 December will begin at 1pm. 

The evening performance on 25 January will now be Onegin, rather than Cinderella. The last performance of Cinderella will be 16 January

• Thanks 2

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Mary said:

We understand that there is concern regarding when ballet casting will be released. We always aim to share this in advance of Friends' booking opening and plan to do so for the Autumn Season. However, as you know there are sometimes unavoidable circumstances which occasionally means some casting is delayed. We will continue to share ballet casting as soon as possible via the E-Newsletter.

Message just received in a Friends' email.

So they keep implying that they'll just be doing what they've always done, in spite of earlier wording that indicated a definite change of policy. Are they backtracking because of the feedback (whilst not acknowledging that this is what they're doing?). Or was the earlier wording misleading? 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 09:13, Geoff said:

Given the widespread strength of feeling - so many posts from so many people - may I suggest that everyone who feels this way writes to Alex Beard (not to the Friends as this won’t be escalated so may not lead to senior management understanding that they have a problem). 

His email address has been put on the Forum in the past: 

alex.beard@roh.org.uk

A large number of complaints will at least mean that they will discuss the problem.

I've emailed Alex Beard about the casting issue and ccd Kevin O' Hare into it as I'm sure casting announcement is down to him. I know of another Forum member who has done the same. I mentioned that people who live a distance away need time to book trains and hotels, also time off work, child care and even dog care! The ability to book early as a Friend is negated without knowledge of casting and could end with Friends membership not being renewed if lack of casting persists. I said I understand that casting can change but even 'provisional casting ' is better than none at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I feel like I might have to see Alice once though if Stephen McRae is back as the Mad Hatter (I’ve never seen him perform it live).

For me it would be the only reason to go to Alice which I very much dislike. He was fantastic though in this role, literally made for him. I remember opening night when he brought the house down. I do hope  Steven will be fit enough.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Mary said:

For me it would be the only reason to go to Alice which I very much dislike. He was fantastic though in this role, literally made for him. I remember opening night when he brought the house down. I do hope  Steven will be fit enough.

His tap dancing skills are a singular joy to behold but that apart, it would be lovely to see Steven’s successful return to the stage after all that he had been through. 

• Like 9

I am very grateful to those who have voiced on this thread their disappointment with much of the 24/25 programme. I find it therapeutic to know that I am not alone. I certainly don't envisage going to the ROH as often as in previous seasons. I'll just have to spend much of my time looking forward to the Balanchine triple, I suppose.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Mary said:

Yes, and he seems to love dancing tap as much as he does ballet.

Donald Thom was also brilliant in the role.  

• Like 1

I've never seen Alice, for some reason it just doesn't appeal.  I don't know why; the clips I have seen maybe?  Although I did enjoy Morera's Red Queen, which did make me laugh out loud.  Who is likely to be cast in that role this time I wonder?  Who did it last time, I assume someone else was cast as well as Laura?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes, and he seems to love dancing tap as much as he does ballet.

Donald Thom was also brilliant in the role.  

He's a joy and seems to really enjoy it.  He was the best thing about the terrible film of Cats and it was worth fastforwarding through large parts of the rest of the film just to watch him dance.  I just love his tap skills as Skimbleshanks.  I could watch him do that for ages.  

So if he's in Alice on the day they do the cinema relay I will definitely get a ticket.  

• Like 2

On 29/04/2024 at 20:50, BeauxArts said:

Is there scope for people attending the launch to put questions to Kevin O’Hare and his team when the season is announced  officially tomorrow? 

Anyone who missed this and lives in the London area could put them to him at the Ballet Association later this month - I think it may be the 14th. 

On 29/04/2024 at 22:10, JNC said:

Cinderella and Romeo and Juliet will sell out no problem

Will they?  I seem to remember even the (autumn) Romeos proving a bit difficult to shift last time around.

On 29/04/2024 at 22:22, Dawnstar said:

The shock of Campbell retiring at such short notice last month really brought it home to me that dancers aren't necessarily going to retire at the approximate age & the order in which I was expecting them to. I hadn't even started to think I needed to start seeing him in roles in case it was the last opportunity when suddenly it was too late. At least with Morera, and Bonelli, it was apparent they were winding down so I saw them in as many roles as I could in their last couple of seasons & I am now doing the same with Lamb, Nunez & Hirano just in case. 

Yes, I did that with Leanne Benjamin.  I ended up with another 6 performances of Giselle from her - over I think 3 runs :D 

On 30/04/2024 at 09:47, Sim said:

For those who are going to miss the RB Nut this Christmas, don't forget that ENB are going to present a new version. 

Am I imagining it, or the last time English National Ballet premiered a new Nutcracker did the Royal Ballet not perform Nutcracker either, thereby giving them a free run?

On 30/04/2024 at 10:37, Dawnstar said:

I see that next year's cinema season includes only 4 live ballet performances: Alice, Cinderella, R&J and the Wheeldon mixed bill, whilr being re-shown are this season's Nutcracker and Swan Lake.

Yes, rather a comedown after the current year's 13 broadcasts, a good number of which were ballet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alison said:

Yes, I did that with Leanne Benjamin.  I ended up with another 6 performances of Giselle from her - over I think 3 runs :D 

I'd rather that than the other way around! And she did retire exceptionally late. (If the likes of Nunez or Lamb care to emulate her then I'd be quite happy.)

• Like 3

On 04/05/2024 at 06:37, Mary said:

Yes indeed - I also would be compelled to go if Akane happened to be dancing Alice! (I don't know if she's done it before) Fingers crossed.

7 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Yes indeed - I also would be compelled to go if Akane happened to be dancing Alice! (I don't know if she's done it before) Fingers crossed.

Yes, Akane has danced Alice before

Just now, zxDaveM said:

Yes, Akane has danced Alice before

I would be interested to know who the must-see Alices are considered to be, from people who have seen previous runs (apart from Lauren Cuthbertson of course)
As I'm only likely to be going once, would be useful to have some indication!

Posted (edited)
On 05/05/2024 at 23:24, art_enthusiast said:

I would be interested to know who the must-see Alices are considered to be, from people who have seen previous runs (apart from Lauren Cuthbertson of course)

previous dancers still with the company who have performed Alice are Lauren, Sarah Lamb, Akane Takada, Francesca Hayward, Anna-Rose O’Sullivan and Yuhui Choe.  All lovely I’m sure.  

I doubt Yuhui will be back from maternity leave in 2024, but maybe for the second block in 2025.  

I would cast and go to watch Yasmine if I was AD.  Maybe someone from Gasparini, Dean, Maeda, Pantuso, Tsembenhoi, others (so many good ballerinas at all levels) …. will get a big debut chance.

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blossom said:

Are any Friends attending the season preview on Wednesday? Keen to hear more about the new season plans…

I'm already keen to know the following season's plans as the coming one is a bit of a damp squib for me.  

• Like 5

On 05/05/2024 at 23:24, art_enthusiast said:

To go with @FionaM's excellent list of Alices who are still in the company (Beatriz Stix-Brunell has left), Marianela Nunez has danced Alice in the first run, but she wasn't in the last run. There are lots of excellent Alices so it's probably down to which dancer you'd like to watch most or haven't seem much of recently perhaps. I found both Cuthbertson and Lamb outstanding- very different but both compelling in their own way. The ballet needs to be seen in person to get a feel of what it's really like. (If it seems that I say that about all Wheeldon's ballets....conversely, his Within the Golden Hour looks even better on  recordings because you can rewind and enjoy all the intricate details). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FionaM said:

Maybe someone from Gasparini, Dean, Maeda, Pantuso, Tsembenhoi, others (so many good ballerinas at all levels) …. will get a big debut chance.

I certainly hope so, especially as there are quite a few performances available. Definitely room for debuts I would think!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Emeralds said:

To go with @FionaM's excellent list of Alices who are still in the company (Beatriz Stix-Brunell has left), Marianela Nunez has danced Alice in the first run, but she wasn't in the last run. There are lots of excellent Alices so it's probably down to which dancer you'd like to watch most or haven't seem much of recently perhaps. I found both Cuthbertson and Lamb outstanding- very different but both compelling in their own way. The ballet needs to be seen in person to get a feel of what it's really like. (If it seems that I say that about all Wheeldon's ballets....conversely, his Within the Golden Hour looks even better on  recordings because you can rewind and enjoy all the intricate details). 

Typo (sigh): seen much of recently

Am also hoping Yasmine Naghdi will be cast as Alice for 2024-25 season (she was one of the maids all the way back in the first run and even then she stood out)- she'd be great. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Has Marianela danced the Queen of Hearts before?

No, she hasn't- Itziar Mendizabal and Claire Calvert are the only remaining company members who have danced the role.

• Thanks 1

On 30/04/2024 at 13:48, bangorballetboy said:

The issue here will be the rights-holders for these ballets.

Sorry, still playing catch-up here. I was going to say that they did once do a big-screen live relay of Onegin, so it can't be the broadcasting per se which is the problem. Perhaps it's the retaining it for posterity?

On 01/05/2024 at 15:35, Lizbie1 said:

The Macmillan Triple was late - I certainly booked blind - and I think Dante was too? Winter's Tale was somewhat delayed but I can't be sure because I wouldn't have gone anyway. By the time the Ashton wasn't announced I wondered if this was a trend.

I'm most aware of it being the two mixed bills, and can appreciate it being different to cast roles which haven't been danced for a long time or for which new casts are needed.

On 01/05/2024 at 21:43, JNC said:

Is there a particular (new) challenge as to why they can’t announce casting in advance? 

I’m just trying to understand where and why this could be coming from, and why they had issues with the MacMillan and Ashton castings. 

On 03/05/2024 at 21:45, jmhopton said:

I've emailed Alex Beard about the casting issue and ccd Kevin O' Hare into it as I'm sure casting announcement is down to him. I know of another Forum member who has done the same. I mentioned that people who live a distance away need time to book trains and hotels, also time off work, child care and even dog care! The ability to book early as a Friend is negated without knowledge of casting and could end with Friends membership not being renewed if lack of casting persists. I said I understand that casting can change but even 'provisional casting ' is better than none at all.

Had a very pleasant reply from Alex Beard re casting issues. I did say usually the RB do a splendid job of advance casting but just lately a couple of programmes had not been announced in time for advanced booking.  He acknowledged there may be occasional problems but the RB will always do their best for their supporters and will announce casting as soon as possible. I didn't really expect more and he did get back very promptly so if several of us wrote in we probably got similar replies.  It's just so they realise how important it is for booking to know who's dancing. For me, there is no point in having advanced booking without casting and I know others feel the same.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

6 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

He acknowledged there may be occasional problems but the RB will always do their best for their supporters and will announce casting as soon as possible.

I would however feel happier if he had said that 'the norm will be for casting to be available in time for priority booking', even if there are occasional problems. 'Doing their best' and announcing it 'as soon as possible' covers all bases but gives no real reassurance.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Has Marianela danced the Queen of Hearts before?

This I would LOVE to see.

In other news, definitely no Alice friends’ rehearsal.

We aim to have Friends General Rehearsals for as many productions as possible over the season, but unfortunately we can't guarantee one for every production for scheduling and artistic reasons so there isn’t one for Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland this coming season.

But KOH did confirm the following insights:-

9 September: All about Alice

2 October: Royal Ballet in Rehearsal

10 October: Legacy

21 November: Cinderella/Hansel and Gretel/Ruination

(Will this last one truly be a combination of all 3?!!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

That’s a shame about the insights. 

I would have been interested to see an insight on Maddaddam even if I doubt I’ll see the actual performance. And similarly it would have been really interesting to see a variety of choreographers and discussion/viewing of an early creative work forming for the contemporary mixed bill. 

I also don’t really understand the combined insight - I suppose you could lump Cinderella and Hansel and Gretel together under a theme of how to adapt fairy tales but it’s a stretch with the different mediums of ballet/opera…and Ruination reading the website it’s adapting a Greek Myth but Cinderella is definitely the odd one out as more “traditional” and ballet! 

In it’s premier run in 2022 the brilliant Ruination made references to Nutcracker running in the main house and my friend and I today were wondering whether Ben Duke would adapt it for Cinderella. So maybe that’s why a combined insight is not as odd as it might first seem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/05/2024 at 09:31, bridiem said:

About dates: it seems to me (though I can't give evidence) that over the years booking dates have got earlier in relation to the performances involved; if this is part of the problem, the solution is not to not give casting information, it's to move the booking dates. 

Hear hear. But I doubt they will.

On 03/05/2024 at 09:18, San Perregrino said:

Credit where credit is due.

in addition to Saturday and bank holiday matinees, the new season includes non-bank holiday weekday matinees for several ballets and Sunday performances for some.

That's interesting: I thought Monica Mason pretty much said Sundays were a no-no because of the knock-on effects on Monday scheduling.

28 minutes ago, alison said:

Sundays were a no-no because of the knock-on effects on Monday scheduling.

I’m not disagreeing with this but I’m just wondering if especially post pandemic and a shift to more hybrid / working from home lifestyles whether a Sunday matinee would actually make more sense as opposed to a Monday evening performance.

Sunday matinees would be accessible for non-Londoners without incurring travel costs, be another opportunity for children to attend (depending on the show!) and for those who do work in really busy jobs they can’t always guarantee leaving work by a certain time on weekday evenings (particularly if you’re booking months in advance you don’t know how busy you’ll be) but Sunday is more likely to be a “safe” day. 

Obviously I’m sure there are other considerations like dancers’/orchestra and other staff time off so I’m doubt it’ll happen anytime soon at least but most other theatres do tend to offer Sunday matinee performances so would be interesting to see if ROH would ever shift. 

• Like 1