• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, hephaistion03 said:

Just  received info re the 2024 2025 RB season

Onegin 22nd Jan to the  25th Feb 2025   /  29th May to the 12th June  25 

R & J   4th March to the 26th May 25 

No surprises there then!  Wish we didn't have to wait until the New Year for both of these ballets.

• Like 3

Is there any Ashton, Balanchine or Robbins? Or Van Manen, it's about time the Royal revised some of his ballets, and he seems to be in the ascendant at the moment, despite his great age.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

Is there any Ashton, Balanchine or Robbins? Or Van Manen, it's about time the Royal revised some of his ballets, and he seems to be in the ascendant at the moment, despite his great age.

A Balanchine Triple Bill 

Serenade / Prodigal Son / Symphony in C 

28th March to the 8th April 25

Edited by hephaistion03
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, hephaistion03 said:

A Balanchine Triple Bill 

Serenade / Prodigal Son / Symphony in C 

28th March to the 8th April 25

That's marvellous. I was contemplating going to Copenhagen in September to see a very similar triple, the only difference is that the middle ballet is Four Temperaments (which I prefer to Prodigal Son); but this news solves my dilemma!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Thank you @hephaistion03 What do we have prior to the New Year? Is that, as anticipated, Alice plus Cinderella and/or Nutcracker?

Alice  28th Sept to the 1st Nov  25 /  13th June to the 6th July 25 

Maddaddam by W McGregor 14th to the 30th Nov 24 

Cinderella 3rd Dec 24 to the 25th Jan 25 

Mad Hatters Tea Party / 4th Sept to the 24th Sept 24 

Encounters / Four Contemporary ballets / The Weathering / New Pam Tanowitz/ New Joseph Toonga / The Statement 22nd Oct to the 16th Nov 24 

Ballet to Broadway / Wheeldon Works / Fools  Paradise/ The Two  of Us / US (duet) /  An American in Paris  9th to the  27th May 25

Edited by hephaistion03
  • Thanks 9

Ah well.  No RB for me until Cinderella then (unless everyone raves about the McGregor).  Good...I can use  the saved money towards trips to Zurich or Amsterdam to see those companies!

• Like 8

@hephaistion03 - you've already done a truly heroic amount of copytyping - is there any chance you'd consider sharing some opera info (possibly on Not Dance, since I do know it's off-topic...)? No worries at all if not - and thank you for what you've posted so far.

A quiet autumn for me too, but I'm very excited about Q1/Q2 next year!

I'm very grateful to @hephaistion03 for posting this info, but astonished that the RB/ROH allows it to be known (by anyone other than those involved) before the announcement tomorrow.

Also, it's interesting that between us we have moreorless already predicted/guessed almost all of what will be in the new season. The only (and extremely welcome) surprise to me is the Balanchine bill (three - or three hundred! - cheers). I'm not sure it should really be quite so easy to foretell what's coming. 

Apart from the Balanchine bill, the only things I'm definitely looking forward to are Onegin and R&J, with a few Cinderellas thrown in before Christmas. I saw Alice when it opened, thought it was fun and spectacular but with not much choreographic content and had no wish to see it again. But I might go again once now since that's a long time ago. So, a few things about which I'm delighted, but otherwise very underwhelmed.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 9

No RB in the autumn for me then...that is  very sad.

I can go on holiday I suppose. But I always look forward so much to the first night of the new year. It is a let- down to be honest.

But Symphony in C....wonderful. 

• Like 8

A new name - ‘Royal Ballet & Opera’

Main operas:

Figaro

Traviata

Eugene Onegin

Fidelio

Tales of Hoffman 

Tosca

Boheme

Hansel & Gretel

Jenufa

Aida

Festen - Turnage World Premiere

Trovatore

Turandot

Carmen

Walkure - Pappano conducting 

Faust 

Semele

There are a number of Linbury opera performances in the Linbury Theatre.

Note - I posted this on the Not Dance/Opera & Music page should anyone wish to comment about the opera programme.

• Thanks 6

27 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

What is The Mad Hatter's Tea Party?  I assume it's something to do with Alice but it is a stage performance or afternoon tea in the cafe?

a revival of the Kate Prince/Zoo Nation production that sold out in the Linbury in 2014?

https://zoonation.co.uk/productions/the-mad-hatters-tea-party/

Edited by San Perregrino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

What is The Mad Hatter's Tea Party?  I assume it's something to do with Alice but it is a stage performance or afternoon tea in the cafe?

Surely not this? 

The Mad Hatter’s Tea Party, produced by The Royal Ballet Studio Programme, had a sell-out run at its premier in 2014 at The Royal Opera House, Linbury Studio. It returned in 2016, reimagined for the unique space of the Roundhouse.

https://zoonation.co.uk/productions/the-mad-hatters-tea-party/

Edit: @San Perregrino and I posted at the same time. It is then. 

Official video (extract).

Edited by Roberta
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I'm very grateful to @hephaistion03 for posting this info, but astonished that the RB/ROH allows it to be known (by anyone other than those involved) before the announcement tomorrow.

The media embargo is 8am tomorrow. Perhaps they figured everyone else's post was as unreliable as mine is in southeast London at the moment, and didn't think the prospectus stood a chance of arriving before June.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First, I really appreciate all the heads-up 😃

Second, for those who know very well ROH's policies I would like to know how far in advance casts are usually announce.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Also, it's interesting that between us we have moreorless already predicted/guessed almost all of what will be in the new season. The only (and extremely welcome) surprise to me is the Balanchine bill (three - or three hundred! - cheers). I'm not sure it should really be quite so easy to foretell what's coming. 

Apart from the Balanchine bill, the only things I'm definitely looking forward to are Onegin and R&J, with a few Cinderellas thrown in before Christmas. I saw Alice when it opened, thought it was fun and spectacular but with not much choreographic content and had no wish to see it again. But I might go again once now since that's a long time ago. So, a few things about which I'm delighted, but otherwise very underwhelmed.

I’ve sent my concerns re the info being known via post to customer services. I’ve said that I feel somewhat disillusioned after 50 years of attending that the season is announced in this manner!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Hello 

I received my ROH magazine in the post this lunchtime and it also contained list of ballets / operas in a separate booklet 

In the ROH magazine the dates of all the operas and ballets to be performed are shown , the first  ballet performance in the main auditorium being the 1st Oct 24  / Alice Adventures in Wonderland.

Edited by hephaistion03
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like an interesting season, very promising with the Balanchine triple bill, Onegin and hopefully some exciting R and J debuts. Also intrigued about Alice but not overly so - depends on casting. (I was hoping for R and J in the Autumn instead but oh well) Looks like I will mostly be going after the New Year

And none of the Tchaikovsky big three - refreshing (not that I dislike any of them, there’s just been a lot of them lately)

• Like 1

I wonder if we will ever get Sylvia or Ondine back?  I don't much like Ondine, but would love to see a couple of current principals in the role, namely Frankie Hayward and Yasmine Naghdi.

• Like 17

It doesn't sound at all interesting to me - only the Balanchine answers to that description, but then I don't like Wheeldon or McGregor and have learned to wait for others' opinions of the RB's commissions.

I'll certainly catch some of the Cinderella casts, probably the same for Onegin, and R&J will be very cast dependent.

• Like 10

Thanks for posting Hephaistion03! 
Not sure I understand the list of shorter ballets as there are already five listed plus “four contemporary ballets” so that would be nine shorter ballets! In one evening? Or are these to be split into different days 🤔
To be honest I’m not even overly looking forward to Cinderella as it’s almost too soon to get involved with it all again! So many other things could have been offered and far too much Alice!! 
Onegin is the only ballet that really excites me next season as unless some new (and hopefully risky)  debuts in R &J I know I won’t be as excited as when Hayward and Naghdi etc danced their debuts. 
It just feels like the season is a bit “tired”  but maybe it’s just me …I hope I’m not beginning to tire of going to the Ballet after all these years!!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It doesn't sound at all interesting to me - only the Balanchine answers to that description, but then I don't like Wheeldon or McGregor and have learned to wait for others' opinions of the RB's commissions.

I'll certainly catch some of the Cinderella casts, probably the same for Onegin, and R&J will be very cast dependent.

Maybe more interesting from my perspective as I have never seen Onegin or Alice!

I hope that Anna Rose and Mayara will be debuting Cinderella this time around. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Maybe more interesting from my perspective as I have never seen Onegin or Alice!

I hope that Anna Rose and Mayara will be debuting Cinderella this time around. 

How I envy you, seeing Onegin for the first time!!  🥰

• Like 11

Nothing that massively excites me this time, I mean I'll probably do the cinema relay for Cinderella and may venture to London for Onegin depending on who is performing.  If they do a cinema relay for Balanchine I might also go.  

Otherwise it's a bit bland for me.  

• Like 4