RB SEASON 24/25 Announced

Two of my colleagues want to go to the ballet for the first time, so I said I would let them know once details of the forthcoming Season are released. Personally I would suggest Onegin or R&J but they wanted something light. Not sure that Alice or Cinderella would appeal so I might suggest BRB's Fille at Sadlers Wells in October.

• Like 7

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely - thanks goodness for BRB's Fille:  I just bought a second performance.

Alice might seem to some a good one for first-timers but I don't think so myself. It would appeal to some but it has grotesque elements (to say the least) which not everyone will enjoy, a lot of musical theatre style,  and not enough choreography.....in my view. It would give a strange idea of what a ballet performance is like, whereas Fille has beautiful classical ballet and fun too.

• Like 10

Actually, I think that Alice is a bizarre choice to open the season. Shouldn't the opening work be some sort of statement? Maybe not. But if so, I don't really know what sort of statement it is!

• Like 8

Alice is one of those ballets you probably will only want to see once in a run!! So I will have to choose a newby in role for my one visit! 
Going to be difficult to beat Beatrix Stix Brunell as Alice and Laura Morera as the Red Queen though. 

Same for Cinderella will probably only want to see a new person in the role this time around. 
It’s not that I don’t like it but all the main excitement was in the last run and it’s just not that long ago to jump up and down about….like I did when saw Cesar was doing Leontes in Winters Tale! ( only 2 weeks to go!) 
Im pretty sure it will be a while before I see R&J bettered by Hayward and Corrales or Naghdi and Ball both pairs wonderful. 
I’ve not seen Bracewell as Romeo so that will probably decide my main choice or if there was a gamble on Pantuso as Juliet. 
Yes I know lots of Principals etc etc but Juliet is a young persons role for me and only rarely like to see much older dancers  in the role! 
Goodness I  am feeling gripy today 🙁

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 11

17 minutes ago, Fonty said:

And no Fille.....

Probably next season now.  Hopefully with Giselle in there as well.

Hmmm...says a lot about next season that I am already getting my wish list for the 25/26 season together in my head.

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Actually, I think that Alice is a bizarre choice to open the season. Shouldn't the opening work be some sort of statement? Maybe not. But if so, I don't really know what sort of statement it is!

The statement is:  this will be a bland and boring season, with a few exceptions.

• Like 8

In honesty I'm not really liking much of that except being so happy about the Balanchine and Cinderella replaces Nutcracker as a big seller over Christmas, but they don't seem to have anything else that'll fill the places like a Swan Lake/Giselle etc, I don't see Alice selling out in a similar way. Seems a strange kind of season.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes I know lots of Principals etc etc but Juliet is a young persons role for me and only rarely like to see much older dancers  in the role! 

Same for me.

I know that it's not a matter of age, but, for me, just a few mature ballet dancers get to embrace the role of Juliet in a believable way. Mostly when their Romeo is much younger than hers.

Edited by Mora

So by my count that’s 

17 Opéra productions

And

8 Ballet productions - 5 full length repeated into the summer season and 3 triple/ quad bills…

Ashton? MIA…..

• Like 4

Cheap start to season for me as I’m not that keen on ALICE and I definitely won’t be seeing the dreadful CINDERELLA.  I can’t stand the production, costumes, storyline and poor choreography… sorry to Ashton, but Fille and Two Pigeons are SO much better.

Love Onegin and R&J.   I’ll be at plenty of those.  

I will try MaddAddam and all the mixed bills at least once.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hephaistion03 said:

A Balanchine Triple Bill 

Serenade / Prodigal Son / Symphony in C 

28th March to the 8th April 25

heavenly 

• Like 4

Two-thirds heavenly- I wouldn't describe Prodigal Son as heavenly, personally - I have never liked it.

I know that probably puts me in a small minority...It has some great moments,  but a lot of ugly moments too in my eyes.

...and there are so many things I would rather see.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mary said:

Two-thirds heavenly- I wouldn't describe Prodigal Son as heavenly, personally - I have never liked it.

I know that probably puts me in a small minority...It has some great moments,  but a lot of ugly moments too in my eyes.

...and there are so many things I would rather see.

Well it's 20 years since I've seen it, so I have only sketchy memories of it. But it's bound to be interesting to see it again, and the other two are definitely heavenly!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PatC said:

And now to sum it all up the ROH have just tweeted this … and for those in the know the stage is set for … Fille! 

You couldn't make it up, really...

• Like 1

Could we have got it wrong ? They've managed to keep it top secret and they are actually reviving Fille next season ........ it would seem completely bizarre to have that set otherwise ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, annamk said:

Could we have got it wrong ? They've managed to keep it top secret and they are actually reviving Fille next season ........ it would seem completely bizarre to have that set otherwise ? 

Well that would be very nice! So I hope so.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, annamk said:

There's a small discussion going on on another thread about the ROH social media feeds and today of all days. International Dance Day!

I'd not get too excited that Fille is making a comeback and it's a secret, I suspect it's simply a stock photo posted by one of the media team. 

3 minutes ago, Roberta said:

I'd not get too excited that Fille is making a comeback and it's a secret, I suspect it's simply a stock photo posted by one of the media team. 

Yes, I suspect it is too. Talk about not reading the room, if so. (And yes, I know a lot of people won't know what the set is, and won't be waiting keenly for Fille to return. But a lot of people do know, and are waiting...).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Thanks for posting Hephaistion03! 
Not sure I understand the list of shorter ballets as there are already five listed plus “four contemporary ballets” so that would be nine shorter ballets! In one evening? Or are these to be split into different days 🤔
To be honest I’m not even overly looking forward to Cinderella as it’s almost too soon to get involved with it all again! So many other things could have been offered and far too much Alice!! 
Onegin is the only ballet that really excites me next season as unless some new (and hopefully risky)  debuts in R &J I know I won’t be as excited as when Hayward and Naghdi etc danced their debuts. 
It just feels like the season is a bit “tired”  but maybe it’s just me …I hope I’m not beginning to tire of going to the Ballet after all these years!!! 

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Thanks for posting Hephaistion03! 
Not sure I understand the list of shorter ballets as there are already five listed plus “four contemporary ballets” so that would be nine shorter ballets! In one evening? Or are these to be split into different days 🤔
To be honest I’m not even overly looking forward to Cinderella as it’s almost too soon to get involved with it all again! So many other things could have been offered and far too much Alice!! 
Onegin is the only ballet that really excites me next season as unless some new (and hopefully risky)  debuts in R &J I know I won’t be as excited as when Hayward and Naghdi etc danced their debuts. 
It just feels like the season is a bit “tired”  but maybe it’s just me …I hope I’m not beginning to tire of going to the Ballet after all these years!!! 

Hope this clarifies

The Weathering / New Pam Tanowitz/ New Joseph Toonga / The Statement 22nd Oct to the 16th Nov 24 

The Weathering / New Pam Tanowitz/ New Joseph Toonga / The Statement 22nd Oct to the 16th Nov 24 

Edited by hephaistion03
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well how odd they have sent this out by post in advance - you’d think they’d issue it out first class tomorrow - better late than before the embargo? 

It feels a very odd season to me - some things I’m pleased to see but a lot of things I’m not interested in. I’m shocked there is no big Petipa/Tchaikovsky ballet, I often moan about things being formulaic but I still have the Sleeping Beauty score from BRB last week in my head so surprised that RB isn’t mounting that. I don’t mind there not being one of these three but they haven’t replaced it with similar classical style works I’d actually want to see, and it feels overwhelmingly contemporary as a season. Everything is pretty much post WWII except the Balanchine works. And then we have Cinderella in 1948 but R&J / Onegin in the 1960s. Everything else is post 2000, or even 2010? 

Anyway

God tier

BALANCHINE BALANCHINE BALANCHINE. So delighted I can finally see Serenade and the Prodigal Son. I’ve seen Symphony in C before but adore it so this is my standout of the season. I am always happy to see more of the Balanchine repertoire because who knows when it’ll next come round. 

Good tier 

Cinderella - I know some people think it’s too soon but they spent a lot of money on a new production and I for one adored it. I’m excited to see this again, particularly if they shake up some casting and I’m glad the grip of the Nutcracker is gone, even if for one year. Also I will never complain at a full length Ashton (except maybe Beatrix Potter but to be fair I’ve not seen that…)  I was lucky to see a few casts last time so I’m interested to see if they mix up the pairings or keep what they had previously but I’d happily see a cast I’ve already seen as the production is wonderful. I expect ticket prices for this will mean I only see it once though. 

Onegin - while I don’t think I hold as much affection for it as others here do (I’d much rather have had Giselle or Sylvia), I appreciate an adult/dramatic ballet and I’m interested to see the casting for this one. Feel that would elevate it for me. (Imaging Bracewell, Muntagirov and also Kaneko as some good debuts here.) 

Average level 

Romeo & Juliet - I’m surprised that while they’ve shaken up no Tchaikovsky/Petipa we STILL have to have a full length dramatic MacMillan and one of the three always in rotation. I would be more interested to see more one acts like Song of the Earth, Judas Tree, Winter Dreams. What about Prince of the Pagodas - was that terribly received at the time because it seems to hardly ever be revived or discussed? Despite me thinking it’s a bit of an unoriginal or inspiring programme at this point, I’ll probably make an effort to see it if there is a cast that appeals (Kaneko/Bracewell please!) otherwise I’ll probably give it a miss, particularly given imagined ticket prices. 

Will save my money 

Madaddam - I liked Woolf Works, Dante Project was interesting in parts but I find McGregor pretty repetitive at this point. I feel this is something where if I lived in London and I could get a decent amphi ticket for £30 I’d maybe give it a go, but in the current climate with rail strikes and ticket prices it’s not worth it for me. If it’s well received I may see the revival a few years down the line, so will read forum reviews with interest (and perhaps might try to catch a cinema screen if they do one). 

Alice - haven’t seen it live but was very disappointed when they broadcast it many years ago - to me “ballet theatre” rather than the beautiful choreography I love about ballet. Also do we really need it *twice* and spread across the whole year…

Autumn contemporary mixed bill - does anyone really need to see The Weathering again? I actually like Pam Tanowitz but I am not paying to take a risk on a new work when the other works just aren’t worth the time, money, and effort for me. Unless Toonga pulls something good out of the bag I hope this is his “swan song” for RB and the end of that relationship. I hope to see a new ballet choreographer take his position and be nurtured. 

Wheeldon mixed bill - I like Wheeldon but actually probably only in small doses; eg I find his one act works watchable as part of a mixed triple, but nothing I’ve seen I would really go out of my way to see again as while its generally pleasant it’s not particularly inspiring or groundbreaking. Bit annoyed he seems to be getting two full whole programmes to himself this season (unless I stand corrected following official announcement tomorrow). 

Overall the more I look the more disappointing it is. Where is the CLASSICAL (and or early romantic) ballet. Even if not doing a Petipa, what about Coppelia or Bayadere (hah!) or La Sylphide. Not Don Quixote obviously as we just had that. I suppose Cinderella is more classical ballet in style but technically neoclassical as choreographed by Ashton. To have no classical ballet in an entire season sends a very worrying statement about the direction of the Royal Ballet, which is at its heart a classical company (unlike say ENB who certainly excel in classics but also have more of a contemporary balance). And no new “classical” style ballet works either - all the new works are not ballet (Toonga isn’t really ballet to me) or contemporary ballet…Cinderella is really the only “tutu” piece?! 

And yes I know this is a bit off topic but I’m still waiting for Sylvia, Bayadere, Fille. Surely Fille must be next year after Paris and BRB. I’d like to see more one act MacMillans rather than a full length next year, and more one act Ashtons that haven’t been revived recently too (symphonic variations!). And Coppelia now edges up my list, as does Giselle. Will we ever see Les Sylphides, and Ballet Russes period works again…

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

The good news is that I won’t be overstretching my budget at the ballet and once the Ashtons have been performed, will probably only be seeing BRB Fille until the end of the year.  I have no interest in Alice, Cinderella is way to soon to revive, can’t stand McGregor and the contemporary mixed bill and Mad Hatters Tea Party sounds like my idea of dance Hades.  I do appreciate them noticing that I can’t afford to carry on my ballet habit, so thank you Kevin (and Aaron over at ENB) for keeping me away for most of the season.

Can anyone shed some light on the Wheeldon in May?  I assume they are short works and An American in Paris is a short ballet set to the music, as opposed to the actual stage show, but to be honest, at this point nothing would surprise me.

Having said that, hooray for Onegin!  My ballet prayers were answered.  It will be my first live Onegin and I can’t wait to find out the casting.   I’m so glad to see there is a Balanchine triple and am keen to see certain dancers in R&J as I haven’t seen it since Rojo and Acosta blew me away all those years ago.  

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

Mad Hatters Tea Party sounds like my idea of dance Hades.  

Can anyone shed some light on the Wheeldon in May?  I assume they are short works and An American in Paris is a short ballet set to the music, as opposed to the actual stage show, but to be honest, at this point nothing would surprise me.

Haha dance hades is an excellent description I had a little chuckle. 

I agree it’s odd Wheeldon has what appears to be a full contemporary mixed bill to himself, combined with the full length Alice it feels like too much (especially when Ashton only appears once and Petipa not at all!). He’s even pipped McGregor! 

And does anyone know if there’s a particular reason why they have now regularly split works across the season? See this year’s Swan Lake in both Spring and Summer, same with Sleeping Beauty the previous season, then a few years ago R&J in Autumn then in Spring, now we have Onegin split and Alice split.

I personally find it a bit annoying as it’s less likely I’ll be able to combine various casts in one visit. And they produce two different programmes (although I tend to not always buy them anyway.) Is the thinking that people who “missed out” earlier in the season read reviews of when its on or hear from friends (by which time depending on the production it’s sold out) so then they book in the next season tranche? Or is it to contain casting and allow principals to guess elsewhere for a big chunk of time if they know they won’t be appearing in a particular quarter? 

I really hope the 2025/2026 balances out with lots of classical, romantic and neoclassical works. Do the contemporary works sell much better than classical? I can’t imagine so. Maybe better than neoclassical…? I wonder how much of this is driven by sales revenue and how much by a desire to be innovative with new contemporary works being commissioned and revived regularly. 

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, JNC said:

Do the contemporary works sell much better than classical? I can’t imagine so.

I don’t think they do. Their pricing is lower to begin with and they always seem to fill up the seats with virtual giveaways closer to the performance dates. 

24 minutes ago, JNC said:

I wonder how much of this is driven by sales revenue and how much by a desire to be innovative with new contemporary works being commissioned and revived regularly. 

New contemporary works, as you surmise - a professed raisin d’etre of KOH - plus cap-doffing to Arts Council directives. 

• Like 3

One thing that has me wondering is: have they considered the effect of this programme on the company's technique? With no 19th century classics to keep the corps honest, as it were, will this cause a problem in 25/26?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, JNC said:

Overall the more I look the more disappointing it is. Where is the CLASSICAL (and or early romantic) ballet. Even if not doing a Petipa, what about Coppelia or Bayadere (hah!) or La Sylphide. Not Don Quixote obviously as we just had that. I suppose Cinderella is more classical ballet in style but technically neoclassical as choreographed by Ashton. To have no classical ballet in an entire season sends a very worrying statement about the direction of the Royal Ballet, which is at its heart a classical company (unlike say ENB who certainly excel in classics but also have more of a contemporary balance).

+1

Combined with issues with the direction of the RBS (and the looming influence of a philistine but demanding Arts Council) “very worrying” is fair comment and no exaggeration. Oh dear.

• Like 9

Is there scope for people attending the launch to put questions to Kevin O’Hare and his team when the season is announced  officially tomorrow? I suppose the season IS the season full-stop, but the “No Petipa” issue is a very significant misstep, surely,  by one of the world’s leading classical ballet companies. 

• Like 10

You will find me at Balanchine, Onegin (multiple casts), R&J (at least twice depending on casting) and Madaddam. So overall quite a lot less than this year.

If I had the power to make just one change it would be to replace one of the Wheeldon bills with a classic three acter - Giselle or Bayadere spring to mind.

• Like 3