ROH booking discussion - summer 2024

1 hour ago, Mary said:

The stress of booking day is also caused by not knowing what to 'go for ' first, with so much to book,  but it is starting to look as if it might not be worth spending precious first moments fossicking about with the Linbury performances trying to find a seat with a view, while the seats I want in the main house are getting snapped up!

Yes, I'm worried about that too. Unfortunately the ballets are quite unevenly spread over this season's booking periods (as is often the case) so while Winter only had Manon on the main stage for Summer we're going to have to scramble between 3 main stage programmes plus Sarasota. I keep on changing my mind as to which to try for first. I also realised recently that public booking is the same date that I'm booked for the MacMillan triple bill so that's really not going to help my stress levels.

• Like 2

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, I'm worried about that too. Unfortunately the ballets are quite unevenly spread over this season's booking periods (as is often the case) so while Winter only had Manon on the main stage for Summer we're going to have to scramble between 3 main stage programmes plus Sarasota. I keep on changing my mind as to which to try for first. I also realised recently that public booking is the same date that I'm booked for the MacMillan triple bill so that's really not going to help my stress levels.

I feel your pain. I'm worried about which dates to book (if I can can the tickets I want). I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed!

I followed the Friends Newsletter instructions to the letter this morning and had a dream booking session.

I didn't log in before 8.50am as specified, but had a tab open for each production ready to book.

At 9am, I managed to get straight into my first production with no wait. 

By 9.12am I was done - first choice tickets for everything except for Next Generation and had to get some side stalls for one of the Sarasota Ballet performances. As a number of the dates are not an option for me, I was incredibly relieved that it was so easy. Last night I was in a seat in the balcony and used the opportunity during the interval to test out a few other spots - standing and seated so that I had a back up plan but I didn't need it!

For Ashton fans, there are still a good number of seats for Sarasota Ballet across each performance at varying values.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Blossom said:

I followed the Friends Newsletter instructions to the letter this morning and had a dream booking session.

I didn't log in before 8.50am as specified, but had a tab open for each production ready to book.

Is that the recommended procedure now?  If so, it's surely going to clog up booking if lots of people do it.

20 minutes ago, alison said:

Is that the recommended procedure now?  If so, it's surely going to clog up booking if lots of people do it.

The idea is that it doesn't clog up booking or lead to long waits vs people logging in on multiple devices and with multiple tabs ready and waiting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Having more than one tab open is definitely not the recommended procedure - the ROH advise the opposite and to have only one tab open.  Not logging in before 0850 is recommended to avoid recognition issues when tickets are released.

The tabs aren't ROH recommended, just the logging in, but the tabs were all inactive and only used one by one, so not sure how this could clog anything up...

Either way, very smooth running and no waiting times. 

before you used to be able to book multiple productions through the same tab by going back to the search function etc.

i found last time I got put in a new queue (!) when I tried to do this, so the queues seem to apply for each booking rather than covering your account/browser (if that makes any sense at all). This was incredibly stressful and really threw me off and added 30 minutes to my booking (and all I wanted was to book two performances!). 

so despite what people are saying about using only one tab I am going to take the approach of multiple tabs this time, as one tab only really didn’t work for me last time. 

(and if anyone asks my preferred approach is one tab only to be honest but I can’t afford to be in multiple queues one after another. Perhaps I was unlucky or there was an error or issue last time but I don’t want to risk it again!)

Just now, Geoff said:

Is it me or has the Ashton Insight for Friday 31 May dropped off the calendar? Has any Friend been able to book for it yet?

I think Premium Friends had mentioned this previously. Secretly hoping this means a change in date (and day of week).

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Interesting, what's the reason for not logging in before 8.50?

To book, you must first sign into your online account using your email address and password. We ask that you do not sign in more than 10 minutes before 9am as this can mean the website doesn’t correctly update to allow you to book.   

If you have signed in and are unable to book your tickets, the following fixes should be your first port of call:  

• Signing out of your online account and back in again. Please ensure you click Sign Out rather than closing the page. You can then re-enter your email address and password. 

• Refresh the webpage (method will depend on device and browser).  

• Clearing your browser cookies and data.  

• Try a different web browser or, if possible, a different device. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Is it me or has the Ashton Insight for Friday 31 May dropped off the calendar? Has any Friend been able to book for it yet?

We’ve been told (by the box office) that booking for this event doesn’t open till March 26.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

We’ve been told (by the box office) that booking for this event doesn’t open till March 26.

Many thanks Bluebird. I couldn’t help but notice that it is currently not even listed any more. If one goes to May 31 on the calendar it is not there. 

Given how much complaining I have done these last years, it is only fair to say that this morning's booking went very smoothly. No waiting time that I noticed and got everything booked (including Sarasota) within a quarter of an hour. 

Whatever ROH has fiddled with since the last time, please now don't "improve the experience" any more: if it works, don't fix it!

• Like 4

I have also got some of what I wanted, the most important things. The website worked much better after a slow start and I got my confirmation much more quickly.

That is much appreciated as it is was a tense business and an expensive business.  To see lots of Ashton I was willing to invest in upgrading my Friends' membership and in more tickets than usual but then I hardly saw a thing last year (as if I have to justify myself to the forum!🤣)

I hope it works when there are even more people logging on- that will be the test.

There are still Sarasota tickets .

• Like 1

Website was a bit slow this morning but my firm has had an IT upgrade so that could have been the cause!

Went a bit mad and booked seven performances and have three in three days 🤪

44 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Got everything I wanted this morning - a straight run of seven Ashtons. All done by about 09.07; email confirmation through at 09.12.

Good luck everyone else.

All very smooth for me too, although the website was slightly slower than usual in responding. A good, albeit costly, experience...thanks ROH!

There seem to be plenty of seats currently available for all the Summer season productions, as far as I can see*.

Swan Lake had more choice for me than in  the first half of the run.

* Edit...although not many currently  available for some of the Sarasota  perfomances, incluidng the last ones on 8th and 9th June

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

Went well for me this morning as well. In and out quickly and confirmation fairly quickly too. Like Mary, I upgraded to Friends+ just on the strength of the summer of Ashton and I wasn't disappointed. Also amazing to see some standing tickets available in the SC main house (not something I'm really used to seeing). I'm in a bit of a fix re Ashton booking as I targeted the 6-9 June period so I can see a RB rehearsal/first night on 6th and 7th and all Sarasota's 3 programmes on the 8/9 with 3 overnights all together (like Lizbie1, 7 performances in 4 days!) However, I had to book for my husband not knowing if he'd be able to make it as we're relying on our dogwalker to dogsit and she's not sure yet if she can make it though I'm keeping everything crossed. Otherwise we'll have to go separately; not nearly as much fun. One of the dogs is diabetic and needs insulin injections twice a day so we can't put her in kennels. Poor Terry has been great in staying home looking after them while I swan off to the ballet but I'd love for us to enjoy the Ashton together so I'm keeping everything crossed. The last performances we were at together was a wonderful mixed bill in 2019; Firebird, Month in Country and Symphony in C; amazing! We saw Vadim twice in Month and once in Symphony and it was a wonderful 3 nights. Am keeping everything crossed it can be replicated this year. Was able to buy a seat for Terry and a standing ticket just behind for me to cut down on the expense for the Ashton main house. Also 2 standing tickets for Winter's Tale (£14 instead of £63!) so hopefully over the year the extra subscription will pay for itself.

Plenty of availability left for main house but Sarasota seems to be selling fast, especially the weekend. Pity they couldn't do that final weekend in the main house then everyone could see all programmes. On the plus side it hopefully sends a clear message to Kevin that there are plenty of people who want to see Ashton! I asked if there would be extra tickets released for ordinary Friends booking and public booking and someone from the Friends said there will be some tickets made available for public booking but didn't mention any for Friends.

• Like 10

20 hours ago, jmhopton said:

The last performances we were at together was a wonderful mixed bill in 2019; Firebird, Month in Country and Symphony in C; amazing!

Wasn't that wonderful! And why can't we have more of the same/similar?

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 8

Found today's Friends booking relatively straight forward and was delighted that I actually got everything that I set out to get.  Two points to note - 

(i) Wonder if it might be possible to select as to how you want to select your seats (i.e., with or without the seating map) JUST ONCE rather than individually for EVERY different event booked.  Might it make it easier both for the system as well as the patron?  Just asking.

(ii) For people booking the Sarasota Ballet performances - There are now relatively few spaces left available I see - and the ones I would have assumed would be held back for General Booking are it seems now open (understandably) to Friends.  This, I assume, is due to a happy and certainly well deserved forward response.  Just wanted to note this so as not to build increased disappointment on the General Booking period opening date itself.  SUGGESTION:  Might be a good time to ask friends who are ROH Friends if they might nab you a place if possible in advance - just out of friendliness of course.  

I got the tickets I wanted (though without the Ashton casting who knows if those are actually the tickets I wanted!) but it was quite stressful. I don't remember before having to queue simply to sign in. And then when waiting for the first seat map to load it suddenly chucked me out and said 'Your basket is empty'. Well, yes - that's because I haven't put anything in it yet... Also I found it confusing that when selecting a particular date on the calendar, it then brings up all the dates for that production; so I initially booked a wrong date at first because I'd assumed it had brought up the performance for the date I'd selected whereas in fact it was the first date of that bill. Anyway I was so tense by the time I wanted to check out that I completely forgot to use up the credit on my account and paid for it all by card. Oops... Honestly. It's worse than going to the dentist. 

• Like 5

I’ve booked for the first time as a Friend (well, since 1994) - I decided to treat myself and see how it goes. I was all fingers and thumbs (using my phone) and kept changing my mind, but amongst other things I booked for the Sissens/Sasaki Swan Lake, for which I’m very excited. Apart from my lack of dexterity it was pretty straightforward.

• Like 2