DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

I dont know if Patrons through to Friends who purchased tickets before the evening was taken off-sale have been updated on the nature of the evening and, though maybe thought unnecessary, that is poor communication if it’s the case. 
However, the invited audience do know why they were invited. It’s no secret to them. 

How about the ROH having the courtesy to tell the general public why they were suddenly excluded from booking that performance at only a few hours' notice? Also, given the ROH's frequent comments in recent years about how hard up they are, it feels like having a performance be changed from general booking to half or more of the audience being invite only is throwing away quite a lot of potential revenue. (I assume the invitees are likely to be getting free or reduced tickets.)

• Like 3

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he's decided to sit in the Grand Tier so he can actually see something, when I've seen him on a private visit he's in the Royal Box which I believes offers a pretty poor view of the stage. 

Edited to ask if anyone knows whether he was consigned to the Royal Box before he was king? I know other royals have just gone Grand Tier when on private visits but I'm not sure if he did, I don't know if part of gaining the crown means having to sit in the box - he must be a bit annoyed if so!

Edited by ellyb

3 minutes ago, ellyb said:

Maybe he's decided to sit in the Grand Tier so he can actually see something, when I've seen him on a private visit he's in the Royal Box which I believes offers a pretty poor view of the stage. 

Exactly. It is from the GT that patrons who booked before the evening became 'closed' are being moved.

The view of the stage from The Royal Box is dreadful and, on Tuesday, there will be a camera woggling around in the line of sight as well.

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Also, given the ROH's frequent comments in recent years about how hard up they are, it feels like having a performance be changed from general booking to half or more of the audience being invite only is throwing away quite a lot of potential revenue. (I assume the invitees are likely to be getting free or reduced tickets.)

Though it is an invited audience, it might be wrong to automatically assume that the ROH will be out of pocket. The ROH isn’t necessarily out of pocket for other performances that have invited audiences. The Christmas Treat for example is, I believe, sponsored with all tickets paid for by one donor and then the audience is invited.

• Like 3

I've decided to think that the ROH are excited to have an invited audience and that it will be a treat for them to be there rather than it being a special occasion for the Friends etc that have already booked. 

That said if the Princess of Wales is there I'll be thrilled to bits!!  

• Like 1

I had already suggested maybe it’s an official visit by the President and all his protection entourage but that seems far less likely now given the World situation not sure if would be the best time for such a visit besides if this was true other preparations would be seen happening in London …in the Mall for example so guess it must just be the first visit of Charles to ROH since his coronation and he has invited a lot of his family and friends (it’s his birthday the following week.) 

• Like 1

Life was so much simpler when you could read the Court Circular in The Times to know what was happening that day.
Then, if of sufficient national importance, Pathé News at the cinema would include some coverage of the event for the whole Nation to enjoy.

If, after all this speculation and rumour, there is a Royal presence on Tuesday, I hope that we’ll be treated to several verses of the National Anthem that we can join in with in the cinema too.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Life was so much simpler when you could read the Court Circular in The Times to know what was happening that day.
Then, if of sufficient national importance, Pathé News at the cinema would include some coverage of the event for the whole Nation to enjoy.

If, after all this speculation and rumour, there is a Royal presence on Tuesday, I hope that we’ll be treated to several verses of the National Anthem that we can join in with in the cinema too.

A few years ago a cinema in London was showing masses of Pathé News segments.  I used to love these when I was a nipper.

If they include more than one verse of the National Anthem, I hope they include the words on the cast list.  Don't want to do a John Redwood now, do we?

• Like 1

Not as exciting as kings, queens and presidents but it is possible to imagine ballet, in particular, has considerable filmic potential. Lots of creative routes to explore.

They might be trying out new filming techniques for, say, combining movement/music/steps. I shouldn't think body cams though certainly tracking shots, on-stage hand helds, overheads, shared screens, up close foot work, etc.

A number of things that could interfere with the enjoyment of a regular audience.

Edited by postie
final para

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

National Anthem

Will you be lustily singing Verse Six?

Asking for many in Scotland.

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God Save the King."

Like most of you I don't understand the secrecy about the 7th. Previous evenings with the presence of the Royal family have always been announced as such - usually with rocketting prices and outlining it as a special gala.

Actually my first experience of the ROH was as a child in the 70s and was indeed a Royal gala: My parents had bought extremely expensive tickets for a Carmen performance in the presence of the Queen. I was 8 years old, it was the first opera of my life. Indeed I never knew what I loved the most: the opera itself or the global experience, with the national anthem and all extraordinary atmosphere around that special evening (though from the Amphitheatre I could not see the Queen, who was seating in the Grand Tier).

The last time I attended a performance at the ROH with the presence of a member of the Royal family, it was Aida a few years ago. At the time Prince Charles was attending the performance from the Royal box, and I was disappointed that there had not been any national anthem, only a very discrete written announcement in the cast sheet, nothing more.

In France it happens to meet the President family at the theatre. Usually they come anonymously. It happened to me twice to be seated right behind them at the Comédie Française. Very discrete, no announcement, but at the end of the performance there has been the inevitable selfie battle from spectators...

• Like 2

Just returning to the wonderful Don Q performance on Friday rather than the speculation on celebrity visitors to a later performance.

How special was that evening!  I have to confess to being a fully payed up member of the Will Bracewell appreciation society, and an absolute devotee of Fumi’s diamond bright technique.Nonetheless I was concerned that this casting for Will was against type, I have imagined Basilio as being a short bouncy dancer more like Marci Sambe or Stephen McRae, not an elegant danseur noble type role.

How lovely to be wrong, this Basilio was such an engaging and slightly goofy young man who could hardly believe his luck when the village beauty actually chose him. This is a very special partnership in which they seem to draw something extra and unexpected from each other, on the stage they are in love and nothing and no one else matters.They dance out of their skins because they must.

How I wish this was filmed I could watch it over and over.

On a slightly different note still think I prefer the BRB version, although enjoying both but I would like to do without a lot of the urchins/ beggars/ villages et al who just clutter the stage IMO

So many thanks to wonderful Fumi , Will and James Hay for a special evening with my own love of 56 years…but who is counting .

• Like 20

7 minutes ago, DoctorDerry said:

Just returning to the wonderful Don Q performance on Friday rather than the speculation on celebrity visitors to a later performance.

How special was that evening!  I have to confess to being a fully payed up member of the Will Bracewell appreciation society, and an absolute devotee of Fumi’s diamond bright technique.Nonetheless I was concerned that this casting for Will was against type, I have imagined Basilio as being a short bouncy dancer more like Marci Sambe or Stephen McRae, not an elegant danseur noble type role.

How lovely to be wrong, this Basilio was such an engaging and slightly goofy young man who could hardly believe his luck when the village beauty actually chose him. This is a very special partnership in which they seem to draw something extra and unexpected from each other, on the stage they are in love and nothing and no one else matters.They dance out of their skins because they must.

How I wish this was filmed I could watch it over and over.

On a slightly different note still think I prefer the BRB version, although enjoying both but I would like to do without a lot of the urchins/ beggars/ villages et al who just clutter the stage IMO

So many thanks to wonderful Fumi , Will and James Hay for a special evening with my own love of 56 years…but who is counting .

Yes. I am a huge, huge, William Bracewell fan - I mean just, HUGE. However, I too wondered what his Basilio would be like. I am so pleased to say I absolutely adored him - he was cheeky, funny and just plain adorable. Was he Carlos Acosta's Basilio? No. Do I mind? Heck no! Will's Basilio is a different characterisation to some I have I've seen but one I personally loved - I want each dancer to bring his unique qualities to each characterisation and some I will like more than others, of course. Will has such elegance when he dances and his PDDs with Fumi were just so moving - again, I really believed they only had eyes for each other and that their characters were truly in love. I loved Will's comic timing too and facial expressions. Put him and Fumi together and, wow, I am drawn into everything they do. I think I beamed from ear to ear throughout yesterday evening! 

Fumi is just wonderful. I don't know what I can add about her dancing. Her fouettés will live long in my memory. I think she's always been a technically brilliant dancer. What she has gained in the last few years or so is a lot of brilliant characterisation and an ability to emote a lot more, in my opinion. She's always shown joy in dancing but I felt she changed after Romeo and Juliet. Maybe that's just me? She just has it all, doesn't she? I do think that the partnership she and Will have is rare and beautiful to see. I really hope it's something I get to see a lot more of in the years ahead. (I'm still a little peeved about Swan Lake though! I'll get over it in the end!) 😡

• Like 16

I think the key to Basilio as a character is down to how he reacts with Kitri so whether he can convince she is the one for him plus a certain sense of the comedic and a very good sense of the Spanish style and line in the dance aspect ……Nothing that  much to do with physique or how tall a dancer is or not……for me anyway. 

• Like 7

But surely the King has already visited the ROH this year ? It can't be his first visit as KIng. He was there in the Royal Box with his wife at a performance of Sleeping Beauty earlier this year in spring. I was there and remember seeing them. There was no fuss or announcement. Nothing was made of it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lynette H said:

But surely the King has already visited the ROH this year ? It can't be his first visit as KIng. He was there in the Royal Box with his wife at a performance of Sleeping Beauty earlier this year in spring. I was there and remember seeing them. There was no fuss or announcement. Nothing was made of it. 

They visit 'privately' in the sense it's not official and so not announced anywhere, they are ballet fans and so choose to visit on their own time and (when I've seen them) try to keep a low-profile, only sitting in view once they lights dim. This occasion will presumably be an official visit where his presence will be announced, the anthem sung, people will applaud and he'll wave etc. 

• Like 3

I suspect that Fumi and Vadim will scintillate in Swan Lake, but Will and Fumi in Manon would have been the ideal: a missed opportunity. I am very happy to have seen them in Don Q: for me this is the partnership with true chemistry. They fit in every way and there is so much beauty in their dancing and their artistic and emotional connection.

• Like 10

Sweet article on Magri/Ball in today's Links ahead of the cinema relay (and whatever else is going on) on Tues

Edited by oncnp

I’ve also loved this partnership in DQ and other ballets...  and was hoping for Manon ... actually more Hayward in Manon as I think in the more contemporary works those two are perfect. But ... there was some lovely clips from the summer touring of naghdi with Bracewell ... I don’t want to sound like an aged Pollyanna but we’re so lucky to have all these options. 

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Sweet article on Magri/Ball in today's Links ahead of the cinema relay (and whatever else is going on) on Tues

I feel for them getting ready for next week's performance.  I'm sure they are excited but it must also be nerve wracking knowing it will be filmed as well as all the fuss round an official royal visit.  

• Like 2

Yes oncnp that’s a lovely article on Mayara and Matthew ( todays links) ……thanks for the heads up! 
It’s rather nice to know they do actually enjoy dancing together! 
If any further tickets should be released for Nov 7th at last minute I will try and get one as will be in Covent Garden on Tuesday anyway! 

(Also there is David Meads review which I particularly liked of Northern in the Linbury only made me regret missing the Peck Piece even more!!) Sorry this bit not Don Q

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeauxArts said:

I suspect that Fumi and Vadim will scintillate in Swan Lake, but Will and Fumi in Manon would have been the ideal: a missed opportunity. I am very happy to have seen them in Don Q: for me this is the partnership with true chemistry. They fit in every way and there is so much beauty in their dancing and their artistic and emotional connection.

I have high hopes for Fumi and Vadim in Manon. They displayed a considerable chemistry as Rudolf and Marie Larisch that might well transfer to Manon and Des Grieux.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Suffolkgal said:

I’ve also loved this partnership in DQ and other ballets...  and was hoping for Manon ... actually more Hayward in Manon as I think in the more contemporary works those two are perfect. But ... there was some lovely clips from the summer touring of naghdi with Bracewell ... I don’t want to sound like an aged Pollyanna but we’re so lucky to have all these options. 

I agree. I was hoping for Will and Fumi for Manon but I am really pleased he is dancing with Yasmine - I love her and think they will be brilliant together and it's good to see another dynamic. Yes, I saw the clips too over the summer and they looked really good together - Yasmine is an exceptional dancer.

We are incredibly lucky. I can't deny I was hoping for Will and Fumi in either Manon or Swan Lake - they were the 'biggies' for me but I also understand they can't dance together all the time. I think I would have forgone Nutcracker with them to have either Manon or Swan Lake though. I am really looking forward to Manon - I particularly am fond of the bedroom PDD and can't wait to see what Yasmine and Will do with that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Missfrankiecat said:

I feel for them getting ready for next week's performance.  I'm sure they are excited but it must also be nerve wracking knowing it will be filmed as well as all the fuss round an official royal visit.  

I was thinking the same! I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it must be 😱

18 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I was thinking the same! I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it must be 😱

They are seasoned performers but cinema relays alone undoubtedly add a certain frisson the the occasion.

22 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

We are incredibly lucky. I can't deny I was hoping for Will and Fumi in either Manon or Swan Lake - they were the 'biggies' for me but I also understand they can't dance together all the time.

I am really looking forward to Manon - I particularly am fond of the bedroom PDD and can't wait to see what Yasmine and Will do with that. 

Yes - that’s how the ‘mixed casting’ needs to be approached: with excitement and an open mind.

• Like 2

Indeed. I would guess that given the extensive experience of Forum users, that is the very approach to mixed casting that we have in common. However, a desire to experience the pleasure of one’s favourite dancing couples can co-exist with that approach, and seems to me to a quite natural inclination of ballet enthusiasts everywhere.

• Like 4